Subject: [edu-team] E-Training Modules

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 10:43:18 +0200

Hi all,

I had a meeting with some ISOC people to see how we can better 
coordinate things like the German Newcomers Tutorial in the future.

ISOC will continue the students program and possibly provide other 
training sessions in the future, mostly targeted to students (but not 
only those who attend via the ISOC programme). I suggested to possibly 
list those on the Edu Team pages and on the normal agenda as well so 
that students can find them.

ISOC also started providing a number of online training modules, see 
here: http://www.internetsociety.org/manage-your-identity

I thought this might be an interesting format for some of the more 
procedural Edu Team tutorials such as 'Bringing new work into the IETF' 
and 'WG Leadership'. ISOC offered to help with that (they have someone 
who could transcribe the slides and translate them into such an 
e-training format).

After the discussion about remote participation I thought "How to 
participate remotely" would also be a good candidate for an online 
training session.

In the meantime I heard that ISOC also suggested to work on an online 
tutorial for Newcomers ("10 things to know before you attend an IETF 
meeting").

If you think this is a good idea in principle, I'll discuss this further 
with ISOC and make sure the Edu Team is in the loop.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 08:39:05 +1200

Mirjam,

I agree with what you propose. However there is a small alarm bell ringing:

> make sure the Edu Team is in the loop. 

IMHO, that isn't quite enough. If ISOC, which is well funded, cranks up
its educational efforts that directly concern the IETF, we (the volunteer
EDU team) are at risk of being left on the sidelines. As happened at one
stage with the Tools team, there's a real risk of inconsistencies between
what we do and what ISOC does. I think this needs more than "in the loop".
It needs joint planning and firm agreements on who does what. If we do that
right, it can be very beneficial. If not, it can be damaging.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 01/08/2013 20:43, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 13:17:00 +0200

Thanks for your feedback, Brian. I totally agree with you.

And if others in the Edu Team aren't totally against this sort of 
collaboration, I'll contact ISOC and make further arrangements. 
Personally I think it is better to collaborate than to be surprised 
later. But I agree that we need to make clear agreements and stick to them.

Regards,
Mirjam