Subject: [edu-team] Draft Text for IETF Journal

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:26:58 +0200

Hi,

As agreed in London, I started writing a short article for the IETF
Journal. Please feel free to make changes. I found it a bit difficult to
make this more exciting. Do we want to include any more details?

Cheers,
Mirjam
==========

The IETF Edu Team - What it is and what it does

You might have heard about or even attended the tutorials that place
every Sunday before the IETF meeting. But few people know how these
tutorials are organised and how it is decided which tutorials will be
provided. Also, you might have some feedback or might even be interested
in helping with these educational activities.

The IETF Edu Team is a group of volunteers that makes sure these
tutorials are happening at each IETF meeting.

<INCLUDE SOME HISTORY OR MOTIVATION FOR SETTING UP THE EDU TEAM? Avri?>

More formally, our goals are stated in the charter:

----- text box ----
The Education (EDU) Team manages the internal educational activities of
the IETF with the goal of improving the effectiveness of IETF
operations. We strive to improve the effectiveness of IETF leaders and
participants by offering training sessions and educational materials
that clarify their roles and responsibilities and prepare them to be
more effective in their roles.
---- text box -----

There are two types of tutorials:
1. Process oriented tutorials like the newcomers tutorial or tutorials
on how to use the IETF tools or how to write an RFC.
2. Technical tutorials that cover certain technical topics that re
relevant for IETF participants such as privacy, security, routing and
wireless.

Tutorials can be suggested by anyone. Sometimes the IETF chair or IESG
members propose tutorials if they feel there is a need for certain
topics. Often we offer tutorials that have not been presented in a long
time and where we feel they could be useful for (new) participants.
Recently we started putting together a series of area overview
tutorials: At IETF 88, an introduction of the Real-Time Applications and
Infrastructure Area (RAI) was presented. At IETF 89, an introduction to
the Applications Area (APP) was given. And at IETF 90, there will be an
introduction to the Operations Area (OPS). This will give newcomers an
idea about the scope and activities of these areas, but also
long-standing participants might find it useful to hear about the
developments in areas they are not actively following.

All tutorials are provided voluntarily by IETF participants who are
experts in a certain field. As it says in the charter, we are striving
to present topics that assist IETF participants in building better
protocols. It is important to note that we're not providing general
technical tutorials. All tutorials focus on what IETF participants need
to know about a certain topic in order to build better protocols.

The Edu Team also organises informational lunch meeting for working
group (WG) chairs at each IETF meeting. This allows WG chairs to discuss
topics that are of interest to all of them. If you are a WG chair and
would like to suggest a topic for one of the next session, please don't
hesitate to contact us.

Officially the Edu team is part of the General Area, and the IETF chair
is also a member of the team. It is also the role of the IETF chair to
appoint to chairs of the Edu Team. Currently Radia Perlman and Mirjam
Kühne are chairing the team. Other members are: Alice Russo, Avri Doria,
Brian Carpenter, Margaret Wasserman, Russ Housley and Thomas Narten.

We are currently considering to take on other work items, for instance
the mentoring programme and additional training for WG chairs. Therefore
we are looking for new energetic members who are interested to help with
these activities. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to
contact us at [email-masked] or come and talk to any of us personally
during the next IETF meeting.

The list of tutorials of the next IETF meetings are always included in
the registration pages and on the meeting agenda. You can find more
information on http://www.ietf.org/edu including the slides and
recordings of all recent tutorials.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:42:08 +1200

Hi Mir,

A good start. I've attached a version with a few suggested
changes.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:38:06 +0200

Thanks Brian, I like your changes, including the new title. What do
others think? Any comments, suggestions? Does anyone have images we
could include? The text is attached again.

Avri, do you remember how the Edu Team was started? I believe you were
chairing it at the time. I thought it would be nice to add a sentence
about the history and motivation of the team.

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 06:48:13 -0400

> about the history and motivation of the team.

I can try to dredge up a few memories9tools team t the same time).  As
Brian indicates it was Harald's idea at the time he was starting various
teams as a new way to get work done .   Before that there had been only
Coya's 'step back from the table' (after getting your cookie) intro
class and people felt that the IETF crowd could benefit from a chance to
educate themselves in some of the technology from other areas.  I could
try to come up with a few lines, but I remember little other that we did
hold open meetings to figure out how we wanted to approach the idea.

avri

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:25:25 -0400

Hi Mirjam,

Thanks for putting this together.

Peter Lothberg might have a few photos of tutorials that could be used w/ permission. I just clicked a past Sunday (3 Nov. 2013) - looks like Donald Eastlake's wireless tutorial:
http://www.lothberg.org/cgi-bin/kaka?year=2013;dir=20131103;file=dscn0216.jpg

A couple editorial nits, although I'm sure it will be edited before publication:
Process oriented -> Process-oriented
informational lunch meeting ->  an informational lunch meeting

Thanks,
Alice

On Apr 15, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> <EduTeam4IETF-Journal-v2.txt>_______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:30:17 +0200

Hi Alice,

Thanks for reviewing the text. I'll make those changes, but yes, I am
sure it will go through a proper editorial check before publication.

And thanks for the fotos. I'll check with Peter.

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:34:05 +0200

Hi Avri,

If you could come up with a few lines, that would be great.
Maybe something like what you said below would be sufficient?

In the early days Steve Coya (or the IETF secretariat?) gave a short
introduction class to Newcomers. Around IETF?? people felt that the IETF
crowd could benefit from a chance to educate themselves in some of the
technology from other areas.

Something like that?

Mirjam

On 15/4/14 12:48 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:31:25 +0200

Hi,

If there are no other corrections or additions to the text, I'll pass it
on to the IETF Journal editor (without the history section and with the
image of Donald Eastlake teaching the Wireless tutorial).

Mirjam

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:06:44 +0200

Hi,

Apologies for not having taken up the challenge to write up the history,
just getting back to this as NETmundial fever is subsiding (though I am
in Geneva at the WG on enhanced Cooperation Meeting this week - I am
trying to catch up on some other work today).

In order to have written some on the history, I would have had to focus
long enough to remember and research some old records for accuracy, and
I just have not had the breathing room.

avri