Subject: [edu-team] chairs' lunch in Honolulu?

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:29:14 -0400

Hi,

Do you have something lined up for a chairs' lunch in Honolulu?  If not, here's an idea:

    Internationalization has caused problems for lots of protocols.
    The PRECIS working group is apparently about to publish the
    document that can give people a new framework for dealing with the
    issue.  There are some pitfalls and tricks, however.  This session
    is intended both to introduce WG chairs to how the new system
    works and how it can be used by protocols, to understand current
    pain that WGs face in order to make sure that the guidance
    document (about to be tackled), and to point out some of the
    compromises that you still have to make to use the precis
    framework conveniently.

The idea is that this is part of an overall push to make i18n stuff
useful for chairs and WGs, so it seems right to start at the chairs'
lunch.

Thoughts?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:10:39 +1200

Andrew,

I don't have any note of a lunch topic for HNL so far. I think doing
a technical topic for once might be interesting.

One question though: to what extent will this be of interest to
*all* IETF areas? Isn't it mainly for Apps area?

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:43:30 -0400

> *all* IETF areas? Isn't it mainly for Apps area?

Any protocol that has any internationalization concerns is implicated
here.  That includes usernames and passwords, so anyone who has one of
those is presumably implicated.  I suppose I can see how TSV and RTG
might not have an interest.  I'm sure APP and RAI will be the primary
interested, but it's hard to see how SEC and OPS don't have issues,
and INT has the issues whenever it has to deal with host names and so
on (hip, homenet, dnssd).

Does that help?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:28:08 +1200

> on (hip, homenet, dnssd).

It helps me. I'd be inclined to do this (with a possible Sunday tutorial
in the future, too).

    Brian

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:46:52 -0600

The plan indeed is a future tutorial.  The idea is that first we work on chairs to say, "Here's the plan.  How to help your wg?"  We'll hold a program office hours also, to see if that helps.  Finally, we'll plan a tutorial next time around to reach a different audience.   

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan 
Please excuse my clumbsy thums. 

> On Sep 23, 2014, at 16:28, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:48:39 -0400

I think it would be a wonderful technical tutorial.  There are so many
implications of this (e.g., security when a string looks like another
string to a human).

And it would be a good lunch topic, if there really isn't one organized for
this IETF already.   I'll look through my old email to see if we've
discussed a lunch topic already.

Radia

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> The plan indeed is a future tutorial.  The idea is that first we work on
> chairs to say, "Here's the plan.  How to help your wg?"  We'll hold a
> program office hours also, to see if that helps.  Finally, we'll plan a
> tutorial next time around to reach a different audience.
>
> A
>
> --
> Andrew Sullivan
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:34:00 +0200

Hi,

Even though this is indeed an interesting topic, I am afraid, we already
confirmed with Emil Ivo and Bernard Aboba to give an introduction to
Jitsi Meet at the WG Chairs lunch in Honolulu.

Can we postpone the PRECIS presentation or is this time critical?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:11:11 +1200

Ah... small suggestion: make a page on the EDU wiki where we list
the *provisional* topics for the next IETF or two, so that we can all
keep track.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:48:37 +0200

Hi Brian,

Good idea. I will do that. I'll also add the tutorials that are still TBD.

So, what are we going to do about the WG chairs lunch in Honolulu? Jitsi
Meet or PRECIS?

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:06:54 +0200

Hi,

The planned tutorials for IETF 91 and IETF 92 are now on the wiki:

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/edu/wiki/Tutorial_by_IETF

For IETF 91 we still don't have confirmation from Johan Ihren (DNSSEC)
and Lee Howard (Presentation skills). Maybe we should ask Margaret if
she can do WG Leadership this time?
We also need to decide about the topic for the WG chairs lunch.

I realised that we already chose a topic for the WG chairs lunch for
IETF 92: Framework and architecture drafts

So, what are we going to do with Andrew's suggestion?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:02:50 -0600

Well, this time was ideal but we'll have to work around it.  It's my fault I didn't get this to you sooner (I sure drop a lot of balls recently). 

Thanks,

A

> On Sep 24, 2014, at 1:34, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:18:34 +1200

> So, what are we going to do with Andrew's suggestion?

I guess we could push the IETF 92 topic to one later? It's a very
old problem. PRECIS seems to have some urgency.

   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:08:06 +0200

Hi Brian,

> old problem. PRECIS seems to have some urgency.

If it is urgent, we could ask the Jitsi Meet guys if we can postpone
their presentation to the Dallas meeting and schedule PRECIS for IETF 91?

And what are we going to do with the remaining tutorials for IETF 91? No
response from Lee or Johan :-(

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:20:10 +1200

> their presentation to the Dallas meeting and schedule PRECIS for IETF 91?

I have no strong feelings, but Andrew Sullivan's last message seemed to
accept the postponement. So I'd be inclined to stick to Plan A.

> response from Lee or Johan :-(

Try to phone both of them? I probably can't help much with calling them
due to time zones, but that seems to be the next step.

Lee has an alternative email: [email-masked]. But in 2012
he was listed in an RFC as:

   Lee Howard
   Time Warner Cable
   13820 Sunrise Valley Drive
   Herndon, VA  20171
   US

   Phone: +1-703-345-3513
   EMail: [email-masked]

For Johan you could try calling Netnod HQ: +46 8 562 860 00

   Brian