Subject: [edu-team] No DNSSEC Tutorial at IETF 91

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:15:33 +0200

Hi,

Johan Ihren informed me that he won't be able to give the DNSSEC
tutorial at the Honolulu IETF meeting. Apart from some timing issues, he
was also struggling with the topic itself: what practical
recommendations and conclusions can he give in two hours?

Since I won't be in Honolulu, maybe one of you could meet with Johan and
see if he wants to work on it for the Dallas meeting.

Do we still have time to come up with a fourth tutorial or shall we
leave it at three for this IETF meeting?

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 07:59:30 -0700

I'd prefer if we wouldn't schedule a tutorial until it's all prepared, for
this reason.   It's seldom a topic that is so time-critical that we can't
wait and insist a reasonable draft of the slides are done before we devote
a slot to it. We could try to have someone fill in this time, with a
tutorial that's been given before, who is already going to be at IETF.  I
think DNSSEC would be an interesting topic (especially if it covers not
just the packet formats, which is the easy part, but insight into
deployment issues).  Perhaps we should try to recruit someone else to give
it in the future?

How did we get someone who would be "struggling with the topic itself",
plus doing it at the last minute, committed to this tutorial?

Radia

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:11:12 +1300

1) In answer to Mirjam, I don't think we have anything ready to go
at such short notice so we probably just have to leave the slot
open. However, I think we should also compose a message for Jari
to send to IETF-announce, apologising for this and asking for
suggested topics and speakers for the future.

2) In answer to Radia, I think it's the first time this has happened,
so we shouldn't feel too bad. We always ask for slides well in advance,
and in a sense that has worked - otherwise the speaker might have
discovered on the plane to Honolulu that he couldn't think what
to say. But it does suggest that we need to be even more serious
about working with the speakers in advance. Maybe we need to appoint
a specific mentor from the EDU team for each speaker?

3) Is it time to look for a couple more EDU team members?

Regards
   Brian

On 11/10/2014 03:59, Radia Perlman wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:29:42 -0700

Any tutorial that's been given before could be given on short notice, if
the speaker is interested, and is arriving early enough to do it, and
enjoys doing it.  But on the other hand, it might not be widely enough
advertised for people to attend, so I guess Brian is right and we should
just leave the slot open.

I think it might be nice to openly invite tutorial proposals.  People that
volunteer will be more responsible and enthusiastic than people who are
requested, and it would be nice to be more transparent about how tutorials
and speakers are chosen.  On the other hand, there are unfortunately plenty
of enthusiastic smart people who are not good speakers, and it would be
good to be able to choose tutorials and speakers taking that into account.
Not sure how we can do that based on electronically submitted tutorial
descriptions.

Radia

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:34:21 +0200

Hi,

Ok, so let's go with three tutorials this time. I am not sure we need to
apologise, especially since we also have the YANG session in the
afternoon (like last time).

In our defence, I think we've been pretty good recently with planning
tutorials one or even two meetings in advance. With new topics and
speakers we always run the risk that they have to be cancelled last
minute. And the DNSSEC tutorial wasn't yet announced, so people won't be
disappointed.

In Johan's defence there were also personal issues that prevented him
from preparing the tutorial this time. That doesn't mean he is not
willing to do it in the future.

Asking the community for topics and/or speakers is a good idea. I also
like the idea of a dedicated Edu Team member per tutorial/speaker. So,
who wants to chase Sean Turner and Alexey Melnikov for their security
area slides? ;-)

And yes, I agree that it is time to find some new enthusiastic team
members. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Mirjam

On 10/10/14 22:29, Radia Perlman wrote:
> I think it might be nice to openly invite tutorial proposals.  People
> that volunteer will be more responsible and enthusiastic than people who
> are requested, and it would be nice to be more transparent about how
> tutorials and speakers are chosen.  On the other hand, there are
> unfortunately plenty of enthusiastic smart people who are not good
> speakers, and it would be good to be able to choose tutorials and
> speakers taking that into account.  Not sure how we can do that based on
> electronically submitted tutorial descriptions.
> 
> Radia
> 
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Brian E Carpenter
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     > On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     > [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:49:42 -0400

I'm willing to chase them for the security area slides.

As for more members, perhaps it might make sense to come up with and write
down what the duties of an edu member are.

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:31:22 +1300

Hi Radia,

> down what the duties of an edu member are.

OK, here's a draft:

The Education (EDU) Team manages the internal educational activities of the IETF
with the goal of improving the effectiveness of IETF operations. We strive to improve
the effectiveness of IETF leaders and participants by offering training sessions and
educational materials that clarify their roles and responsibilities and prepare them to
be more effective in their roles. The EDU Team consists of team leader(s) and several
members. The team leader(s) are appointed by, and report to, the General Area Director.
The members of the team are chosen by the team leader(s), with the approval of the
General Area Director.

EDU team members work together as volunteers to plan educational activities,
especially the tutorials held on the Sunday preceding each IETF meeting and
a lunchtime session for working group chairs held during each IETF. Members
suggest topics, identify speakers, and work with the speakers to prepare
the sessions. The team also assists with educational material on the
IETF web site and coordinates with the IETF mentoring scheme for new
attendees.

See http://www.ietf.org/edu/ for further background.

The team is currently looking for one or two new members. They should have
a reasonable amount of IETF experience and be interested in helping to
improve the IETF's effectiveness by informing and educating participants.
Some experience in education or training would be an advantage. Members
are expected to be proactive in suggesting new ideas and topics for
EDU and to respond promptly to relevant email throughout the year. An on-site
team meeting is held at each IETF site to review current activities and
to plan for the following two IETFs.

If you are interested in joining the team and have the time to contribute
regularly, please contact the team leaders, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> and
Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:27:54 +0200

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for putting this together! I think this nicely describes
our responsibilities. You could also point them to our recent IETF
Journal publication for more info.

Where do you think we should post this?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:16:55 -0700

That looks good.  Thanks Brian.  My only comment is in this sentence:

"An on-site
team meeting is held at each IETF site to review current activities and
to plan for the following two IETFs."

I'd like us to plan for at least the following two IETFs, but to be working
on tutorials and WG topics that might be much further in the future as
well.    Perhaps "to plan for edu tutorials and topics for at least the
following two IETFs".

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:24:05 +1300

Thanks for the comments from both of you.

I'm thinking we should ask Jari to send it out to the IETF (with
those comments incorporated). And we could ask him to mention it in
plenary perhaps.

Regards
   Brian

On 23/10/2014 02:27, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> .