Subject: [edu-team] Minutes of Edu Team meeting on 21 July 2015

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:31:04 +0200

Hi,

Here are the minutes of today's Edu Team meeting. Please note the action
points. I will also add them to our wiki.

Mirjam
========

Edu Team meeting at IETF 93, Prague
21 July 2015, 7:30 - 9:00

Dan Romascanu, Brian Carpenter, Scott Bradner, Nalini Elkins, Alexa
Morris, Greg Wood, Mirjam Kuehne

Agenda:
1. Review of IETF 93 Sunday tutorials
2. Tutorials for IETF 94 and IETF 95
3. Edu Material for new IETF web site
4. The Tao (do we want to maintain it?)
5. Review of EDUNEXT BoF and next steps

1. Review of IETF 93 Sunday tutorials
——————————————————————————————————————

- Newcomers Tutorial: room was unfortunate, not as interactive as at
other meetings, but well attended

- Routing Area Overview: well attended (hardly any newcomers; was in
parallel with Newcomers Tutorial); was very informative and useful

- Measurements Tutorial: full room, good content, maybe better with a
second speaker, too long for one speaker. Maybe split into two section
in the future. Vinayak is happy to further work on this.

- Document Shepherding: around 40 people. Barry wasn’t sure it was the
right audience: not many people in the room were actually planning to
shepherd documents
  - maybe this one would be a good candidate for a video?
  - maybe the document needs a refresher? Or people need to be reminded
that there is such a thing? Concept is not understood consistently
across the IETF.
  - but not really in scope for Edu Team to fix this.
  - suggest to Barry to discuss with IESG

- SDN tutorial: nobody from the Edu Team could attend the tutorial. The
speakers felt it went well (see feedback sent by speakers to the edu list)

Discussed handing out surveys again at the end of each tutorial. Alexa
or Naveen will set up online surveys and send to us before the meeting
so the links can be included in the presentation slides.
ACTION Alexa: to set up online surveys for Sunday tutorials

2. Tutorials for IETF 94 and IETF 95
————————————————————————————————————

Scott is in the process of doing video recording for his course “Living
in the Cyber World”. It’s basically a four-part video. Maybe we could
use for Edu? Replace parts of the newcomers tutorial?
ACTION Scott to send videos to Edu Team

IETF 94:
————————
- Newcomers (Scott Bradner)
- Local version of Newcomers?
  ACTION Alexa to ask the IETF 94 host if they want a local version of
the newcomers slides. Last time it was provided by Hiroshi Esaki at IETF
76 in Hiroshima:
https://www.ietf.org/slides/slides-edu-newcomers-training-japanese-00.pdf

- Internet Area Overview
  ACTION Mirjam to confirm with speakers

- Tools for creating IDs and RFCs (Alice Russo)

Maybe do an experiment to do “Lightning Tutorials” in Yokohama with
three different tutorials in one two-hour slot:
- Intro to YANG tutorial
  ACTION: Dan to talk to Benoit Claise about preparing/repeating an
Intro to YANG Tutorial for Yokohama
- Intro to CBOR (Carsten Bormann)
  ACTION Brian to talk to Carsten Bormann and find out if CBOR tutorial
would work for a “Lightning Tutorial” slot
- PRECIS & i18n (Andrew Sullivan
  ACTION: Mirjam to talk to Andrew Sullivan and find out if he still
ants to do the PRECIS & i18n tutorial in Yokohama

IETF 95:
————————
- Newcomers (Scott - last time!)

- ART area overview
  ACTION Mirjam to speak to the ART ADs to identify speakers for IETF 95

- What’s going on in the IRTF
  - maybe better to not plan this in parallel with an area overview?
  ACTION Mirjam to talk to Lars about it

With new members on the team, it would be great if we could start having
“tutorial shepherds”: One Edu Team members would be responsible for one
particular tutorials (contact speakers, make sure they submit slides in
time etc.)

3. Edu Material for new IETF web site
—————————————————————————————————————

(see minutes of conference call we had a few weeks ago)
Greg mentioned that the new IETF web site will be targeted to three
different audiences. He suggests it would make sense to move the Edu
related material to the section where it would be most useful for the
respective audience rather than having it all in one place as it is
right now. The Edu Team agrees with this approach.

But what about material that is educational but currently not maintained
by the Edu Team, e.g.
- the Newcomers Page
- the Informal guide to Standards process (Brian Carpenter maintains it)
- the TAO (Paul Hofmann maintains it).
- Educational material for WG chairs

What is the process for updating those? They officially fall under the
GEN area

ACTION: catalogue these documents and pages and then decide what to do
with them. Needs to be discussed with the GEN AD

(see Brian’s mail to the Edu Team list during our meeting)

Mirjam will meet with Torchbox people on Wednesday at 13:00. Anyone
wants to join?

4. The future of the Tao
————————————————————————

See above agenda item 3.

5. Review of EDUNEXT BoF
—————————————————————————

Karen O’Donoghue offered to become a member of the Edu Team. Everyone
agreed this would be a great addition.
ACTION: Mirjam to add Karen to the Edu Team list (DONE)

Take-aways from the BoF:
- Keep Sunday tutorials, but possibly change the format
- Don’t merge with Mentoring Program
- Do more videos and webinars if possible
  - see IETF related videos done by NIC.BR:  youtube.com/nicbrvideos
  - see current discussion on WG chairs list
- Continue to do technical tutorials, not just procedural ones
- Don’t just target newcomers, also existing participants, WG chairs, ADs
- Think about how to scale this better.
- Do stuff that is better digestible over the net (videos, remote hubs?)

Discussion about the future of the mentoring team
- Nalini will set up a small team to work on a charter, goals etc. (put
it all in an internet-draft to then get more feedback from people.

- Are the WG lunch presentations recorded?
  ACTION: Alexa to make sure WG chairs sessions are recorded (DONE)