Subject: [edu-team] Material on the IETF web site that is really "consensus" material

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:44:23 +1200

This is to express my view about the question around the Tao
and similar material that we discussed this morning.

Firstly, I think we're talking about material that is vaguely
educational in nature (like the specifically EDU material) but
also represents in some way points that should be subject to
rough consensus.

Apart from the Tao itself (and translations) I'm aware of two
pages that I originated myself:
http://www.ietf.org/newcomers.html
http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html
and I'm sure there are others of the same nature.

My thoughts:

- to the extent that these pagess need rough consensus, that should
fall in the remit of an AD (presumably the General AD).
- it would be very helpful if the IETF Trust formally extends the
copyright rules applied to IETF Stream RFCs to web-only materials.
- during the web site redesign, these materials need to be
specially identified in a "rough consensus needed" category.
- the EDU team could serve as a directorate advising the General AD
about such materials.

    Brian