Subject: [edu-team] Enhanced Document Shepherding Slides

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:57:39 +0200

Hi,

Please find attached the slides Barry Leiba has prepared for the
document shepherding tutorial at IETF 93.

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 09:34:28 +1200

Looks very good to me.

One point that (from a current ongoing experience) should
perhaps be added around slide 5:

After the document leaves the WG and until the RFC is actually published
(i.e., until AUTH48 ends) ensure that every substantive change is notified
to and reviewed by the WG.

(Side question: are non-chair shepherds guaranteed to be copied on
AUTH48 messages?)

Regards
   Brian

On 07/07/2015 20:57, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:42:42 -0700

> (Side question: are non-chair shepherds guaranteed to be copied on

Yes, they are.

(In fact, upon a draft's approval, the RPC database automagically gets the shepherd's email address from the draft's JSON record in the datatracker, thanks to the implementation of RFC 6359.)

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 18:37:55 -0400

> to and reviewed by the WG.

I can put that on a slide separately, but I will say it when I'm
talking, and it's the last bullet in both of the examples: "See to it
that issues are brought back before the working group if they are
significant enough to require it."

If you still think it's important to put it on another slide, I'll
make room for it on slide 5.

b

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 11:06:57 +1200

> make room for it on slide 5.

Your choice, Barry; it's only that I've been burned by this recently
so it was in my mind when I saw your slides.

    Thanks

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:14:41 -0700

Barry,

Thanks for putting this together. I've reviewed your slides; my only comments are off-slide, re: 3.11. Stage: In RFC Editor Queue in http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/wgchairs/wiki/ExtendedDocumentShepherding

Perhaps add mention that sometimes the RFC Editor sends questions to the authors *before* AUTH48 state (with relevant parties CC'ed), and it's good for the shepherd to monitor those exchanges.  Also, the RFC Editor will send any changes that are seemingly 'beyond editorial' to the AD for approval (with relevant parties CC'ed); it's good for the shepherd to read that as well.

Side note re: pulling shep. address from the datatracker, it's helpful when a shepherd's email address is current there. So you might suggest they log in to the datatracker and check that their info is correct.

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:35:57 -0400

Alice, thanks -- two good comments.  I'll edit the wiki for both, and
will definitely mention the second in my presentation.

b