Subject: [edu-team] CBOR tutorial

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:39:36 +1300

Hi all,

I watched the CBOR tutorial remotely and thought it went well.
There were a few minutes of technology glitch before it started, and it
ran a bit long, but I found that the length was OK for remote
viewing (whereas a 90 minute tutorial is too much for me, at least).

There is a recording at
http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF94_CBOR&chapter=chapter_1
For some reason I can see the video and hear the audio, but the slides
don't appear - all I see is a big green rectangle.
(I have a screen shot if that would help.)

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: the Meetecho Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 00:51:46 +0100

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:39:36 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There were a few minutes of technology glitch before it started, and
> it ran a bit long, but I found that the length was OK for remote

Hi Brian,

the green rectangle should turn into the correct slides in just a few
seconds. If that's not happening, try seeking backward or forward a few
seconds in the web player. You can use the following link (notice the
extra t=294 parameter, which instructs the player to start at 294
seconds) to go directly to when the tutorial starts:

http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF94_CBOR&chapter=chapter_1&t=294

The link may be split across multiple lines, so make sure to fix this
when opening it if that's the case.

Anyway, we'll soon make available also a self-contained video version
of the tutorial, which should appear on the IETF YouTube channel.
Should you be interested in it, a temporary link (we're not going to
host these ourselves) is available here:

	http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/ietf94/webm/CBOR-chapter_1.webm

Cheers,
Lorenzo

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:07:52 +1300

Yes, with a great deal of patience the slides appear in place of
the green box. I am in my university office at the moment, and will
try again at home later (normally I get better performance at the
uni). However, I'm now on a live session with Meetecho and it is
running very smoothly.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:04:18 +1300

Unfortunately the playback results are the same at home as at the office:
no problem with audio, but very slow for the slides and often frozen video.

When it is up on YouTube I can have another look.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: the Meetecho Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 23:30:29 +0100

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:04:18 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unfortunately the playback results are the same at home as at the
> office: no problem with audio, but very slow for the slides and often
> frozen video.
> 

Which browser were you using? Recordings usually seem to be working
mostly fine in our tests with Chrome and Firefox, and we always try and
test different versions of them. I'm wondering if it may be a buffering
issue, especially if audio works fine as the related file is smaller in
size.

Lorenzo

> When it is up on YouTube I can have another look.

The file that will end up on YouTube is the one I linked a couple of
mails ago:

This should work fine already, please let us know if that's not the
case.

Lorenzo

> >>> There were a few minutes of technology glitch before it started,
> >>> and it ran a bit long, but I found that the length was OK for
> >>> remote viewing (whereas a 90 minute tutorial is too much for me,
> >>> at least).
> >>>
> >>> There is a recording at
> >>> For some reason I can see the video and hear the audio, but the
> >>> slides don't appear - all I see is a big green rectangle.
> >> the green rectangle should turn into the correct slides in just a
> >> few seconds. If that's not happening, try seeking backward or
> >> forward a few seconds in the web player. You can use the following
> >> link (notice the extra t=294 parameter, which instructs the player
> >> to start at 294 seconds) to go directly to when the tutorial
> >> starts:
> >>
> >> The link may be split across multiple lines, so make sure to fix
> >> this when opening it if that's the case.
> >>
> >> Anyway, we'll soon make available also a self-contained video
> >> version of the tutorial, which should appear on the IETF YouTube
> >> channel. Should you be interested in it, a temporary link (we're
> >> not going to host these ourselves) is available here:
> >>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 11:44:38 +1300

On 04/11/2015 11:30, the Meetecho Team wrote:
> Which browser were you using? 

Firefox 41.0.2. But ten seconds ago it told me to update to version 42,
so I will try that.

> Recordings usually seem to be working

Yes, I think it is buffering, although I don't see any symbol indicating
buffering progress.
...
> This should work fine already, please let us know if that's not the

That also gives problems that look like buffering. However,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV71hhEpQ20 for example works very well.

   Brian

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 00:06:59 +0100

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 11:44:38 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> office: no problem with audio, but very slow for the slides and
> >> often frozen video.
> > 
> Firefox 41.0.2. But ten seconds ago it told me to update to version
> 42, so I will try that.
> 
> > mostly fine in our tests with Chrome and Firefox, and we always try
> > and test different versions of them. I'm wondering if it may be a
> > buffering issue, especially if audio works fine as the related file
> > is smaller in size.
> 
> Yes, I think it is buffering, although I don't see any symbol
> indicating buffering progress.

The online recordings are made out of individual media streams that are
synchronized during playback. As such, what our web app tries to do is
opening them all and keeping them in sync while playout moves along. A
stuttering/buffering in any of the contributions, then, should result
in a temporary pause of all streams and a buffering message. Not sure
why this isn't happening for you. Does this happen from the very start,
or only when seeking?

Have you tried starting the playback, then pausing it for a couple of
minutes, and hitting play again? Not an optimal solution, but may allow
for a smoother playback experience.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV71hhEpQ20 for example works very

Then the problem may also be in our web server we use for hosting, which
is indeed just a regular web server and not particularly optimized for
streaming. When the files will be posted on YouTube the issue will
hopefully get sorted out.

Lorenzo

> >>> the green box. I am in my university office at the moment, and
> >>> will try again at home later (normally I get better performance
> >>> at the uni). However, I'm now on a live session with Meetecho and
> >>> it is running very smoothly.
> >>>
> >>> Regards
> >>>    Brian
> >>>
> >>>> forward a few seconds in the web player. You can use the
> >>>> following link (notice the extra t=294 parameter, which
> >>>> instructs the player to start at 294 seconds) to go directly to
> >>>> when the tutorial starts:
> >>>>