Subject: [edu-team] updated framework document for Education, Mentoring, and Outreach (EMO) directorate

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 09:41:06 +0000

Folks,

Attached is the updated framework document for what I am now calling the 
Education, Mentoring, and Outreach (EMO) directorate. I addressed all the
comments received. I didn’t receive any comments on the name so I made
a slight modification to give us a clear acronym. I have sent the draft to Jari
directly to see if he has any comments and to get guidance on the next steps
for moving forward. I expect this will be one of the first topics for our Thursday
AM meeting. 

Regards,
Karen

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 12:02:46 -0400

On 7/8/2016 5:41 AM, Karen O'Donoghue wrote:
> Education, Mentoring, and Outreach (EMO) directorate.

<tongueincheek>

EMO?  "a style of rock music resembling punk but having more complex 
arrangements and lyrics that deal with more emotional subjects"

Seems a reach.  How about instead calling it the Mentoring and Education 
(ME) Directorate.  Gives the potential for lots of marketing:  "It's all 
about ME and you".  "ME and the IETF are here to help"  "Are you talking 
to ME?"  :-)

Or the Mentoring, Education, Outreach and Wisdom (MEOW) Directorate?   
"Cat got your tongue?  MEOW can help."   "If the IETF has got you down, 
don't cry - MEOW"

</tongueincheek>

To be serious, I'd probably avoid EMO in any case just for the connotations.

Later, Mike

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 16:50:59 +0000 (UTC)

<tongueincheek>

>To be serious, I'd probably avoid EMO in any case just for the connotations.

I am pretty much with Michael on this one.  When my daughter was in high school (not very long ago), the teenagers called girls who had depressive tendencies and were cutting themselves and such, "EMO".  In this case, an adjective based on the punk business referred to above.   (Yes, I know how sad it is that the teens actually have defined terms for such behavior because it is so common.)
Anyway, how about "POEM"?   (Productivity, Outreach, EDU, and Mentoring).
Nalini

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 15:06:49 +0200

Hi Karen,

Thanks for driving this to completion.

Wondering about one bullet point, probably editorial:

·Improve metrics and measurements for assessing effectiveness of 
directorate activities

I guess you mean:

·Improve metrics and measurements for assessing effectiveness of this 
directorate activities

First time I read it, I thought you wanted to assess my OPS, MIB 
doctors, or YANG doctors activities. :-)

Regards, B.
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team