Subject: [edu-team] Minutes of Edu Team Call 5 September 2017

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 17:32:47 +0200

Hi all,

Please see the minutes of this week's call below. Please let me know if
there is anything wrong or missing.

Kind regards,
Mirjam
=========

Edu Team Call - 5 September 2017
Present: Karen, Mirjam, Alexa, Mike, Fred, Greg, Deborah

Agenda:

1. Review of IETF 99 tutorials and survey results
   - Newcomers experience
2. Newcomers tutorial at IETF 100 and Newcomers webinar prior to IETF 100
3. Other IETF 100 tutorials

1. Review of IETF 99 tutorials and survey results

Thanks Alexa for sending the survey results to the list and for
summarising the main comments.

On the call we focused on feedback received after the Newcomers Tutorial
at IETF 99.

Mike said he thought it went well, there we a couple of questions at the
end and no puzzled looks. In reviewing the comments in the survey, he
said he is not interested in going into more detail during the tutorial.

Mirjam suggested to possibly find a second speaker as we also recommend
to other tutorial speakers. This might make it more interactive and open.

Mike said that this was something he initially wanted. But when he sent
out a call at the time, nobody reacted. Now he thinks that presenting it
as a team might not work with his presentation style.

Karen felt that having a second person might make it a little more
welcoming for newcomers. Having a more experienced person plus a more
new person might also reflect the IETF culture more. Karen reported that
one of the ombudspeople heard that some people in the newcomers tutorial
felt it could be more welcoming and suggested to review the presentation
and consider making it more welcoming?

Mike said that he feels it is important to bring the message across that
the IETF is indeed a different culture, and that newcomers need to pay
attention to the cultural difference in order to survive. In order to
get some more concrete feedback, Mike suggested to add some more
questions to the newcomers feedback survey to find out if people found
the newcomers tutorial useful (targeted to people who have attended five
or six meetings).

2. Newcomers tutorial at IETF 100 and possible Newcomers webinar prior
to IETF 100

The idea of a webinar or an online question and answer session for
newcomers prior to an IETF meeting was raised during the newcomers
feedback session at IETF 99, and people welcomed the idea.

Greg suggested that ISOC’s video on the “top-ten things that you should
know before coming to an IETF” could be a good starting point, followed
by  a Q&A session.

Mike mentioned that we might have to do this multiple times based on the
time zone, but that we could recruit some small teams in various regions
to organise this.

It was agreed to do this as an experiment: offer such an online tutorial
once or twice and then evaluate how effective and useful it was before
deciding if it should be continued.

Some discussion about what kind of topics should be covered in such a
Q&A session: preparing for a face-to-face IETF meeting or learning how
to participate remotely?

Alexa suggested to try one to cover both. She doesn’t think it has to
involve a  lot of work: we don’t have prepare any material beforehand.
It’s mostly about getting some people together. We could start with one
or two sessions before IETF 100 rather than trying to cover all possible
regions.

Karen and Greg offered to help.

3. Other IETF 100 tutorials

Some ideas were brainstormed:

- How to chair a WG? (based on suggestions at WG chairs lunch)
- TLS 1.3
- Possibly re-do QUIC? Maybe in two sessions: first for “beginners”,
then second slot for advanced?

Karen mentioned the TEEP tutorial at IETF 99 that covered a topic that
is not (yet) IETF work. She was wondering if the Sunday tutorials arethe
best place to push such topics. Maybe we can provide some guidance on
that, for instance to the IESG?

Fred agreed and said there are other mechanisms to introduce new work.

Mirjam added that in general it would be good to have some better
decision making process or review process within the Edu Team before
deciding to accept tutorials. She also asked Deborah as a IESG liaison
to help with this.

Fred suggested to dove-tail with the IESG process rather than inventing
another process.

Deborah mentioned that the IESG is currently discussing how to scope
BoFs, side meetings etc. and encouraged the Edu Team to get feedback
from the IESG when tutorials are suggested.

Deborah also reported that Michele Cotton suggested to organise an IANA
training - maybe start as a WG chairs lunch.

Possible topics for WG Chairs lunch IETF 100:
- Jorge Contreras on IPR
- Michele about IANA

AOB:

Short discussion about possibly producing 1 - 2 min. videos for areas
and working groups.

Mike thought having short videos would be better than putting summaries
of working groups or areas in the Newcomer’s tutorial. Karen suggested
starting with a few as examples and see how it goes.

Deborah thought this is a good idea and said she believes the rest of
the IESG would agree, but will double-check.

Karen will check with Greg how to best go about this (possible just a
couple of slides and a talking head).

Finally Karen was asking if the Edu Team wants to have a face-to-face
meeting in Singapore People are a little concerned that the meetings are
already too full. Mirjam suggested to have maybe one or two calls like
this in between the meetings and then a face-to-face meeting from time
to time when needed, but not at every meeting. Karen said she also would
prefer the calls over a face-to-face meeting in Singapore.