Subject: [edu-team] Guides program website for IETF 104

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 19:05:29 -0600

Edu team -

Wes and I have put together a small django app to help with making 
matches in the IETF guides program.

It would be useful to get several people from the edu team to 
test-register as participants and guides and share their thoughts on 
that registration experience. (You can use the same email to register 
for both roles, and we will delete and re-initialize the database before 
really going live with the site, so don't worry about breaking it. In 
fact, please try.)

Please go to https://guides.ietf.org and play around.

When a match is made by one of the administrators, an email similar to 
what's below will be sent. Review comments are welcome.

Code contributions are also welcome. The project is currently at 
<https://github.com/rjsparks/ietf-guides>.

Example match email follows. Note the bug at showing the participant's 
areas of interest. That will be fixed in the next day or so.

------------------------------

Dear TestParticipant and TestGuider,

Welcome to the mentoring programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. TestGuider has
kindly offered to be TestParticipant's mentor for the upcoming
IETF meeting. TestParticipant has expressed a specific interest in:

   Topics: IoT

   Areas: guides.Area.None

   Groups: t2trg, coap, cellar

The mentorship aims to have three parts:

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the mentor would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the mentor what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The mentor is there to help you, but the mentor likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF athttps://ietf.org/tao  .

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Cheers,
Wes Hardaker
IETF Guides Program Lead

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 04:29:18 +0000

Thanks… good to see this moving forward. 

I tried to do a sample guide request and a sample guide volunteer. I got the email for requesting a guide and was able to link to and fill out the request. I used a second email address to volunteer to be a guide, but I haven’t yet gotten a link yet via email to finish the “volunteering”… I did it twice to make sure I wasn’t mistaken…

Karen

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 8:05 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Edu team -
> 
> Wes and I have put together a small django app to help with making matches in the IETF guides program.
> 
> It would be useful to get several people from the edu team to test-register as participants and guides and share their thoughts on that registration experience. (You can use the same email to register for both roles, and we will delete and re-initialize the database before really going live with the site, so don't worry about breaking it. In fact, please try.)
> 
> When a match is made by one of the administrators, an email similar to what's below will be sent. Review comments are welcome.
> 
> Code contributions are also welcome. The project is currently at <https://github.com/rjsparks/ietf-guides>.
> 
> Example match email follows. Note the bug at showing the participant's areas of interest. That will be fixed in the next day or so.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 21:28:20 -0800

Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]> writes:

> I used a second email address to volunteer to be a guide, but I
> haven’t yet gotten a link yet via email to finish the “volunteering”…
> I did it twice to make sure I wasn’t mistaken…

Hmm...  the bounce message seems to indicate that the mail is being
denied by microsoft (which I guess is handling isoc's mail).  Robert, is
this being sent through a brand new SMTP server?  IE, directly from the
box?  Maybe we should configure it to transport through the well-known
IETF server instead?

   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email-masked]>
    (reason: 550 5.7.606 Access denied, banned sending IP [138.197.218.117]. To request removal from this list pl...crosoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=526655 (AS16012609) [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com])

   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to isoc-org.mail.protection.outlook.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.606 Access denied, banned sending IP [138.197.218.117]. To request removal from this list please visit https://sender.office.com/ and follow the directions. For more information please go to  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=526655 (AS16012609) [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
550 5.1.1 <[email-masked]>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.5.2 Need rcpt command [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 09:24:29 -0600

It is currently sending through a box that hasn't had it's mail 
reputation cleaned.

I will shift it to send through a local one that has many years of 
(good) reputation. If that is somehow still problematic, I'll talk to 
glen about relaying through the primary ietf server.

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 10:26:57 -0600

Mail has been reconfigured to be sent through said box with an 
established reputation.

RjS

On 3/5/19 9:24 AM, Robert Sparks wrote:
>>      (reason: 550 5.7.606 Access denied, banned sending IP 
>> [138.197.218.117]. To request removal from this list 
>> pl...crosoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=526655 (AS16012609) 
>> [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com])
>>
>> <<< 550 5.7.606 Access denied, banned sending IP [138.197.218.117]. 
>> To request removal from this list please visit 
>> https://sender.office.com/ and follow the directions. For more 
>> information please go to 
>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=526655 (AS16012609) 
>> [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
>> <<< 503 5.5.2 Need rcpt command 
>> [BN3NAM04FT025.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
>>
>>

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 09:14:37 -0800

> Mail has been reconfigured to be sent through said box with an

Awesome, thanks.  I suspect that'll clear the problem.  Karen, can you
try again?
-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:32:27 -0800

These forms are great! 

A nit: one of the questions when I signed up to be a guide was:

"What date are you arriving at then next IETF meeting (YYYY/MM/DD)?"

Drop the “n” from “then” and all will be fine. Also, for the next iteration, how hard would it be to permit people to use an embedded calendar to indicate their arrival date? 

Also, a slightly larger issue: when I signed up to *request* an IETF Guide, I received an email with a link to complete a form. However, the link took me to the very same form that I’d just completed when I signed up to *be* a Guide. Did I do something wrong by attempting to complete both forms? 

Thanks,
Alexa

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:52:04 -0600

> Drop the “n” from “then” and all will be fine. Also, for the next iteration, how hard would it be to permit people to use an embedded calendar to indicate their arrival date?
Removing the n is easy. Adding a calendar widget later shouldn't be hard.
> Also, a slightly larger issue: when I signed up to *request* an IETF Guide, I received an email with a link to complete a form. However, the link took me to the very same form that I’d just complet…
No, but you should have gotten different forms (there's no way not to). 
Can you double-check the links in the two mail messages you received? 
(In fact, would you forward those to me please?)

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:58:59 -0800

Hi,

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 

Excellent!

> No, but you should have gotten different forms (there's no way not to). Can you double-check the links in the two mail messages you received? (In fact, would you forward those to me please?)

I’ve sent you the forms under separate cover. I think the issue is slightly different from what I originally thought: I now think that the links are just mixed up, i.e. the newcomer email contains the guide link, and the guide email contains the newcomer link. 

-Alexa

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 20:01:59 +0000

I wonder if it gets confused if you try to use the same email for both forms. I tried it with different emails. 

Karen

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 2:58 PM, Alexa Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:03:08 -0600

I will check in a little bit.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:35:07 -0600

So this is entirely a bug with the text of the messages. The wrong text 
is sent in the message. The subject and link are right, but the body 
text has been transposed. Easy to fix. Apparently it was hard to spot - 
thanks for catching it Alexa!

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:49:31 -0600

I've got this fix and the spelling error commited and deployed.

RjS

On 3/7/19 2:35 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> So this is entirely a bug with the text of the messages. The wrong 
> text is sent in the message. The subject and link are right, but the 
> body text has been transposed. Easy to fix. Apparently it was hard to 
> spot - thanks for catching it Alexa!
>
> RjS
>
>> I wonder if it gets confused if you try to use the same email for 
>> both forms. I tried it with different emails.
>>
>> Karen
>>
>>>>> Drop the “n” from “then” and all will be fine. Also, for the next 
>>>>> iteration, how hard would it be to permit people to use an 
>>>>> embedded calendar to indicate their arrival date?
>>>>> Also, a slightly larger issue: when I signed up to *request* an 
>>>>> IETF Guide, I received an email with a link to complete a form. 
>>>>> However, the link took me to the very same form that I’d just 
>>>>> completed when I signed up to *be* a Guide. Did I do something 
>>>>> wrong by attempting to complete both forms?
>>>> No, but you should have gotten different forms (there's no way not 
>>>> to). Can you double-check the links in the two mail messages you 
>>>> received? (In fact, would you forward those to me please?)
>>> I’ve sent you the forms under separate cover. I think the issue is 
>>> slightly different from what I originally thought: I now think that 
>>> the links are just mixed up, i.e. the newcomer email contains the 
>>> guide link, and the guide email contains the newcomer link.
>>>
>>> -Alexa
>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Alexa
>>>>>
>>>>>

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 01:27:19 -0800

> I've got this fix and the spelling error commited and deployed.

Awesome Robert!  So where does this leave us?  Have we had enough
reviews we can declare it gold, wipe the database and be ready to send
it out in email notes soon?
-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 10:48:28 -0600

I think that's your call, Wes.

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:40:42 -0500

I'm doing the database wiping Wes mentions now.

Please don't add any more test entries - real stuff only now.

RjS

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 22:20:36 -0700

> Please don't add any more test entries - real stuff only now.

Yep, and that means that as the announcements for newbies and the main
attendees announcements can include the https://guides.ietf.org/ link
now too when asking people to sign up!
-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 16:49:16 -0500

So where can I find an announcement asking someone to use this system?

I wonder if it needs a refresh (re-prod).

Uptake is not zero, but seems really low so far.

RjS

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:19:34 -0700

Hi Robert,

The link to request a guide was buried in one of the earlier newcomer’s emails. I just sent a separate message about the IETF Guides Program to the newcomers’ list just now, and I’ve also added a link on the 104 Newcomers page. I suspect you’ll see some requests flood in shortly.

Alexa

PS: I’m also going to send out a reminder about tomorrow’s newcomer’s webinar. Then, on Weds, I’ll send a note about Quick Connections (unless you have plans to do so Wes?)

> On Mar 18, 2019, at 2:49 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:35:32 -0700

So do we need to re-sign-up?

> On Mar 18, 2019, at 6:19 PM, Alexa Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Robert,
> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fact that there is a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven is an interesting comment on projected traffic volume...

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 07:25:54 -0700

Hi Fred,

No, the link that was circulated was for newcomers. I imagine that Wes still has you on file as a wiling guide/mentor to the IETF newcomers.

Alexa

> On Mar 18, 2019, at 10:35 PM, Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:47:22 -0500

You signed up at the right time already, Fred. Your information is in 
the system.

Other guides do need to sign up still (so far you're the only one to do so).

We are seeing participants signing up now.

RjS

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 07:47:59 -0700

OK, thanks.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:47 AM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> You signed up at the right time already, Fred. Your information is in the system.
>