Subject: [edu-team] Looking for a powerpoint deck

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 17:26:58 -0700

Before I left Cisco, I visited "Netacad" Cisco CCNA "academies" - usually in high schools or colleges - from time to time, One of the most common requests I got was after I had arrived - "you're here today talking about the Internet and IT, but could you spend lunch with my girls? They think there is no place for women in IT". I had a talk which I used on such occasions, which went to Cisco with my laptop as I left; the title was "let me introduce you to a few of my friends", and talked about ladies like Radia Perlman, KC Claffy, and Sally Floyd - "yes there are women in IT, and I'm glad they're here."

I have been asked to include similar material in a talk I am giving in Pakistan next month. So I need to re-create it.

Do any of you happen to know of such a ppt deck around that I could build on?

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 09:27:09 +0200

Hi Fred,

Unfortunately I have not seen such a slide deck. But it would indeed
be great to have once. Maybe the IETF systers list can help?

Slightly related, note this series of interview Russ White is doing
(you are of course aware of it since you are also in there :-)):
https://labs.ripe.net/history-of-networking

It features some women (not many though):
https://labs.ripe.net/history-of-networking/fast-reroute-alia-atlas
https://labs.ripe.net/history-of-networking/programmable-control-planes-
jennifer-rexford
https://labs.ripe.net/history-of-networking/routing-software-gated-open-
source-routing-stack-sue-hares
https://labs.ripe.net/history-of-networking/spanning-tree-radia-perlman

Kind regards,
Mirjam

On 09/07/2020 02:26, Fred Baker wrote:
> Before I left Cisco, I visited "Netacad" Cisco CCNA "academies" -
> usually in high schools or colleges - from time to time, One of the
> most common requests I got was after I had arrived - "you're here
> today talking about the Internet and IT, but could you spend lunch
> with my girls? They think there is no place for women in IT". I had
> a talk which I used on such occasions, which went to Cisco with my
> laptop as I left; the title was "let me introduce you to a few of
> my friends", and talked about ladies like Radia Perlman, KC Claffy,
> and Sally Floyd - "yes there are women in IT, and I'm glad they're
> here."
>
> I have been asked to include similar material in a talk I am giving
> in Pakistan next month. So I need to re-create it.
>
> _______________________________________________ edu-team mailing
> list [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 03:31:40 +0000

Hi Fred,

This just occurred to me... 

A few years ago ISOC did a campaign around women in technology. I don't remember what it was called, but I can connect you with the person who did it. I know there were a number of women globally who were featured in the campaign. 

Regards,
Karen

On 7/9/20, 3:27 AM, "edu-team on behalf of Mirjam Kuehne" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA512

    Hi Fred,

    Kind regards,
    Mirjam

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Comment: GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org

    iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJfBsbNAAoJEIZoWwVN2sgMbOUQAI6IqcQd20ww9wQdkXfi50rN
    LLR3M6UkKyLMNhxXx1QGYhd24YtRxyFtMfVq3n7BFXxtF3yLdtE1NEdWuHQEYa0J
    XI8xog9C8fcWNZzuVIklnbLR91Tw+2sspqYB0P2zKb1hHClm5cLwiWYlfpNXUjSf
    iQp1S1xaL00bFy1iId946+ToSSYn6gGhFOPCSD3NdXGKLbWvs9iSNtDH+VGIY7dR
    UaXH5P8KCdUhsmz08Bx3tg1GHYl7+XXLkZLDqLRjNMRY/p+W3DVVAsghrWX4LELi
    tqdFPyJjAKMH/v1lQ8438DLz/HQc0DevKn6dN3/PoVi28GJthI6PKorsQdgEH0P+
    mAt1NhW65N8AyS2H7fYR8xf4ZyUeH/NmC4RUDBZ0DSOtBs0lT+VFb8S2iedD+IRd
    eXRrHLzkn1z8t7iRoSIhAtjMBJfUKXLSyxP3UBtlnJCSs3vgPElQKhVi2IjD6ljE
    58Qdio86GpKQQHzSZY75jZEDtMGdLbobGt25GiXx2p/ceDvr6OQFwX33zSJG0KgZ
    YNs6rrd9wOwN5L0NoQay9BYNscdsR3DiBUIpJeYIsemaA3mUipSCd9nbG2/SUpPV
    JhAmIsY69dG94ufek6z41+al3vErONecJZUaUxwOHxUKMP/itinJPfBCKU7nreue
    jb7dAwSg5IqO+E+/qz+W
    =nxOY
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    _______________________________________________
    edu-team mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 21:38:54 -0700

Thanks.I’m not actually doing talks for ISOC any ,more. They have me on video :-)

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 9, 2020, at 12:27 AM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 10:52:28 -0700

That would be good. Thanks.

> On Jul 16, 2020, at 8:31 PM, Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Fred,
>