Subject: [eman] Review of draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-00

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:42:56 +0100

Emmanuel, Matt, Brad,

Speaking as a contributor, I reviewed 
draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-00 
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement/>
Thanks for this first draft.

A couple of high levels points (more editorial notes will be sent 
separately)
- the Abstract speaks about "describe the relevant information elements 
for these applications". I'm not sure what you refer to
- by convention, when a term is capitalized, it's defined in the 
terminology section. For example, I see Energy
- Not sure what you mean by "as traditional methods such as SNMP have 
proved not to be sufficient" because this charter is specified to define 
MIB modules ;-)
- this draft would benefit from some references
     * to other EMAN documents
       This might imply that we have a generic section for all EMAN 
documents, referring to each other.
       See section 1.2 in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5470 for an 
IPFIX example
       A typical example: "in other cases, there are intermediate power 
levels between off and on, such as standby, sleep or deep sleep mode".
       It would be good to refer to the others EMAN documents where this 
is specified.
     * to external documents from other organisations.
- in section 1.3 "examples", I believe that the primary example should 
be "IT".
   In section 1.3.1 "building networks", you mention: laptops, phone, 
desktop.  IMHO, these are part of the IT examples.
- IMHO, building networks is a specific case that requires a proxy... 
while waiting for the IP protocol to be more ubiquitous.
- by convention acronyms should be explained.
     Example: HEG, EPA, EISA
     You should write "Home Energy Gateways (HEG)" the first time you 
mention it
- while [PARELLO] is certainly a very nice reference, it would certainly 
be more appropriate to cite the reference within the book ;-)
- the sections 2.x are interesting, but I'm sometimes missing the link 
with EMAN
     A good example is section 2.2 "The IETF effort would be complementary"
    For the other sections, I don't clearly see the link, i.e: none, 
complimentary, overlap, can be used together, etc...
    Examples:
         IEC -> we should try to reuse it as much as possible
         DMTF "power utilization management profile" -> explain the 
overlap/complementarity with EMAN
         DASH -> could be used to configure the Power Monitor Child from 
the Power Monitor Parent
         etc...
- section 4.2 "energywise"
     Not sure what the share secret is used for. We deal with MIB 
modules here.

Looking at the charter description,

    6. Applicability statement
    The EMAN WG will develop an applicability statement, describing the
    variety of applications that can use the energy framework and associated
    MIB modules. Potential examples are building networks, home energy
    gateway, etc. Finally, the document will also discuss relationships of
    the framework to other architectures and frameworks (such as smartgrid).
    The applicability statement will explain the relationship between the
    work in this WG and the other existing standards such as those from the
    IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.

Maybe what we would need to cover:
- described the applications (
     1. monitoring energy
             1.1 smart metering
             ...
     2. management energy
             2.1 just for the sake of consuming less
             2.2 to avoid blackout
             2.3 to flatten the demand/response
             ...
- also the link between the smartgrid use cases and these energy-aware 
devices should be explained.

Regards, Benoit.