Subject: [eman] for the newcomers at the IETF

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 17:15:32 +0100

Dear all,

As for every new working group, new charters bring new people to the IETF.
I would say this is particularly true for this EMAN WG as this is the 
first time that the IETF deals with energy management.
A couple of people contacted the chairs directly, expressing that 
they're new to the IETF.

So a couple of pointers for newcomers (for non newcomers, that's also a 
good refresh)
- The Tao of the IETF: A novice's guide to Internet Engineering Task 
Force, RFC 4677 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4677.txt>, is very 
interesting

    Abstract

        This document describes the inner workings of IETF meetings and
        Working Groups, discusses organizations related to the IETF, and
        introduces the standards process.  It is not a formal IETF process
        document but instead an informational overview.

 From this document, you can read this sentence: "If you participate in 
the IETF and read only one BCP, this is the one you should read."
Note that BCP means "Best Current Practices"

- There are two newcomer's trainings on Sunday. From the agenda 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/79/agenda.html>, you can see
1300-1450 Newcomer's Training - Garden Ballroom 1 
<http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/79/venue/?room=garden-ballroom-1>
1500-1650 Newcomer's Training (Mandarin) - Garden Ballroom 1 
<http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/79/venue/?room=garden-ballroom-1>

- The note well is important to read
http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html

If you want to know more:
- RFC 2026 "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3",
- RFC 2418, "IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures"
- RFC2223, "Instructions to RFC Authors"

All these should keep you busy during the flight to Beijing ;-)

Regards, Benoit.