Subject: Re: [EME] EME charter

From: "Fergie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:39:38 GMT

-- Melinda Shore <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On 11/13/06 1:10 AM, "Fergie" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Having said that, I would tend to think that endpoints can defined
>> as the source (originator) & destination addresses in any IP
>> packet.
>
>One layer's endpoint is another layer's middlebox.  For example,
>relays are, unfortunately, increasingly common in VoIP networks
>and while they're effectively transparent to the application
>peers they are being addressed directly.
>

I _did_ say IP, not UDP or TCP. :-)

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 Engineering Architecture for the Internet
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net
 ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
EME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eme

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:45:56 -0500

> I _did_ say IP, not UDP or TCP. :-)

I'm not sure about what your point is here.  IP addresses
aren't carried in transport headers, except to the extent
that port numbers are addressing information (and that's
arguable, since they can also be considered demultiplexing
information, not addressing).  Relays are addressed
explicitly at the IP layer but may completely transparent
to the application.

Melinda