Subject: [Emu] EMU charter update

From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:36:40 -0700

In order to get things moving we will send the following charter update
to Pasi tomorrow.  I will also let Pasi and Tim know there is interest
in secure password methods and they should consider it as a topic for
SAAG. 

------------------------

Description of Working Group:
The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) [RFC 3748] is a network
access authentication framework used in the PPP, 802.11, 802.16, VPN,
PANA, and in some functions in 3G networks. EAP itself is a simple
protocol and actual authentication happens in EAP methods.

Over 40 different EAP methods exist. Most of these methods are
proprietary methods, but some are documented in informational RFCs. In
the past the lack of documented, open specifications has been a
deployment and interoperability problem. There are currently only two
EAP methods in the standards track that implement features such as key
derivation that are required for many modern applications.
Authentication types and credentials continue to evolve as do
requirements for EAP methods. 

This group is chartered to work on the following types of mechanisms to
meet requirements relevant to EAP methods in RFC 3748, RFC 4017, RFC
4962 and EAP Keying:

- A mechanism based on strong shared secrets. This mechanism should
strive to be simple and compact for implementation in resource
constrained environments.

- A document that defines EAP channel bindings and provides guidance for
establishing EAP channel bindings within EAP methods.  

- A mechanism to support extensible communication within a TLS protected
tunnel. This mechanism must support channel bindings in order to meet
RFC 4962 requirements. This mechanism will support meeting the
requirements of an enhanced TLS mechanism, a password based
authentication mechanism, and additional inner authentication
mechanisms.  

- Enable a TLS-based EAP method to support channel bindings. This item
will not generate a new method, rather it will focus on supporting EAP
channel bindings within the tunnel method.  The possibility of adding
channel bindings to EAP-TLS through a TLS extension or other standard
TLS mechanism may also be investigated.  

- A mechanism that makes use of existing password databases such as AAA
databases.  This item will be based on the above tunnel method.

Goals and Milestones:
Done	  	Form design team to work on strong shared secret
mechanism
Done	  	Submit 2716bis I-D
Done	  	Submit first draft of shared secret mechanism I-D
Done	  	Form password based mechanism design team
Done		Submit 2716bis draft to IESG for Proposed Standard
May 2008	Submit Strong Shared Secret Mechanism to IESG
May 2008 	Submit Tunnel and Password Method requirements first
Draft
Sep 2008	Submit EAP Channel Bindings First Draft
Sep 2008 	Submit Tunnel Method first draft
Oct 2008	Submit TLS based method channel binding first draft
Oct 2008 	Submit Password Method first draft
Jan 2009	Send EAP Channel Bindings to IESG
Mar 2009	Send Tunnel Method to IESG
Apr 2009	Send TLS based method channel binding to IESG
Apr 2009	Send Password based method to IESG
_______________________________________________
Emu mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu