Subject: [Emu] bootstrapped TLS authentication and TLS key schedule

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 17:21:30 -0700

Hi all,

I'm not 100% sure if I'll be present for the whole session on Friday, so
just in case I'm not: it looks like there's a figure in the slides to
adjust the TLS 1.3 key schedule and put another input slot in place.
I don't expect any of these comments to be a big surprise (especially given
the chair overlap!), but mention them just to be sure that everyone's on the
same page: please coordinate with the TLS WG if there are key schedule
changes, and the TLS WG would rather there not be a proliferation of key
schedule changes.  We had some work presented yesterday on a TLS "extended
key schedule" and it is looking fairly likely that we'll end up with a
generic "one place to shove extra stuff in" that can take multiple
different "extra stuff" at once.  I'd be surprised if that wasn't workable
here, so please keep an eye out for it.

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 06:44:55 -0700

Hi Ben,

> here, so please keep an eye out for it.

   Indeed. Owen and I modeled the changes from
draft-jhoyla-tls-extended-key-schedule. I did notice the discussion
in TLS a couple days ago to perhaps do this kind of key injection
differently. No matter how it's done, we can use it. A generic
place that "extra stuff" can be injected will work just fine.

   We've been in touch with the people in TLS that get ruffled feathers
when people mess with the key schedule and we will continue to stay
in touch. (If you noticed Jonathan did mention bootstrapping in his
slides as another need for an importer).

   The only thing that will be affected by a change from the specifics
of draft-joyla to a generic "extra stuff" will be the running code but
that can change too.

   regards,

   Dan.