Subject: [Emu] Last Call: <draft-ietf-emu-eap-noob-04.txt> (Nimble out-of-band authentication for EAP (EAP-NOOB)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:37:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the EAP Method Update WG (emu) to
consider the following document: - 'Nimble out-of-band authentication for EAP
(EAP-NOOB)'
  <draft-ietf-emu-eap-noob-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-04-13. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) provides support for
   multiple authentication methods.  This document defines the EAP-NOOB
   authentication method for nimble out-of-band (OOB) authentication and
   key derivation.  The EAP method is intended for bootstrapping all
   kinds of Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices that have no pre-configured
   authentication credentials.  The method makes use of a user-assisted
   one-directional OOB message between the peer device and
   authentication server to authenticate the in-band key exchange.  The
   device must have an input or output interface, such as a display,
   microphone, speaker or blinking light, which can send or receive
   dynamically generated messages of tens of bytes in length.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-eap-noob/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.