Subject: [Emu] Resolving EAP-TLS issues

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 14:20:17 -0700

The authors have been working on the draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13 in the GitHub
Repo (https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13).  Below is a
brief summary of the Issues and PRs that have recently been merged or ready
to be merged.  If you are aware of issues that are not currently tracked in
the repo please add them or let the chairs know.  We are looking to publish
a new draft in the next few weeks so indicate on the list if there are
problems with these resolutions.

Thanks,

Joe

PR #44 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/44> -
Merged - Editorial - Clarifies that Message Flows are Examples
PR #50 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/50> -
Merged - Editorial - Moving from Master to Main terminology as in RFC8446bis
PR #51 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/51> -
Merged - Editorial - added text to suggest that one session ticket be sent
- Issue 48 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/48>
PR #53 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/53> -
Merged - Normative - Uses type code in the context of the key
derivation - Issue
32 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/32> - Issue 56
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/56>
PR #40 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/40> - Ready
to Merge - Editorial - alignment with EAP State Machine Terminology - Issue
33 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/33> Issue 36
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/36>
PR #41 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/41> - Ready
to Merge - Editorial - Discussion of packet modification attacks - Issue 36
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/36>
PR #42 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/42> - Ready
to Merge - Editorial - Reference EAP-Types draft
PR #45 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/45/files> -
Ready to Merge - Editorial - Describes why session resumption is needed - Issue
34 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/34>
PR #46 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/46> - Ready
to Merge - Normative - Makes it mandatory to send Error Alerts to
single EAP Failure - Issue 37
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/37> - Issue 38
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/38>
PR #54 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/pull/54> - Ready
to Merge - Normative - uses protected success indicators as single 0x00
byte of application data - Issue 55
<https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/55>

Open Issues without proposed Resolution

Issue #52 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/52> -
Needs Discussion and Proposal - Update security considerations with
discussion of implications no peer authentication
Issue #47 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/47> -
Needs DIscussion and proposal - how does the peer validate the identity of
the server?
Issue #29 <https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13/issues/29> -
Needs DIscussion and proposal - mutual authentication section is broader
than mutual authentication

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 17:48:29 -0400

On Mar 28, 2021, at 5:20 PM, Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The authors have been working on the draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13 in the GitHub Repo (https://github.com/emu-wg/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13).  Below is a brief summary of the Issues and PRs that have recently been merged or ready to be merged.  If you are aware of issues that are not currently tracked in the repo please add them or let the chairs know.  We are looking to publish a new draft in the next few weeks so indicate on the list if there are problems with these resolutions.

  There has been no response (other than Bernard's short note) to the detailed review I posted to the list.  On looking at the draft, none of the issues seem to be addressed.

  Alan DeKok.