Subject: [Emu] Document Action: 'Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method for 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 08:17:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method for 3GPP Mobile
   Network Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')'
  (draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the EAP Method Update Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis/

Technical Summary

   The 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) is the
   primary authentication mechanism for devices wishing to access mobile
   networks.  RFC 4187 (EAP-AKA) made the use of this mechanism possible
   within the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) framework.  RFC
   5448 (EAP-AKA') was an improved version of EAP-AKA.

   This memo replaces the specification of EAP-AKA'.  EAP-AKA' was
   defined in RFC 5448 and updated EAP-AKA RFC 4187.  As such this
   document obsoletes RFC 5448 and updates RFC 4187.

   EAP-AKA' differs from EAP-AKA by providing a key derivation function
   that binds the keys derived within the method to the name of the
   access network.  The key derivation function has been defined in the
   3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP).  EAP-AKA' allows its use
   in EAP in an interoperable manner.  EAP-AKA' also updates the
   algorithm used in hash functions, as it employs SHA-256 / HMAC-
   SHA-256 instead of SHA-1 / HMAC-SHA-1 as in EAP-AKA.

   This version of EAP-AKA' specification specifies the protocol
   behaviour for both 4G and 5G deployments, whereas the previous
   version only did this for 4G.

Working Group Summary

   There was consensus for the document in the working group.  

Document Quality

   This document is used by 3GPP standards including 5G standards and 
   has had review from members of that community.

Personnel

   Joe Salowey is the document shepherd.
   Roman Danyliw is the Responsible AD.