Subject: [Emu] RFC 9048 on Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method for 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9048

        Title:      Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method 
                    for 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and 
                    Key Agreement (EAP-AKA') 
        Author:     J. Arkko,
                    V. Lehtovirta,
                    V. Torvinen,
                    P. Eronen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Updates:    RFC 5448, RFC 4187

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9048

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9048

The 3GPP mobile network Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) is an
authentication mechanism for devices wishing to access mobile
networks. RFC 4187 (EAP-AKA) made the use of this mechanism possible
within the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) framework. RFC
5448 (EAP-AKA') was an improved version of EAP-AKA.

This document is the most recent specification of EAP-AKA',
including, for instance, details about and references related to
operating EAP-AKA' in 5G networks. 

EAP-AKA' differs from EAP-AKA by providing a key derivation function
that binds the keys derived within the method to the name of the
access network. The key derivation function has been defined in the
3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). EAP-AKA' allows its use in
EAP in an interoperable manner. EAP-AKA' also updates the algorithm
used in hash functions, as it employs SHA-256 / HMAC-SHA-256 instead
of SHA-1 / HMAC-SHA-1, which is used in EAP-AKA.

This version of the EAP-AKA' specification defines the protocol
behavior for both 4G and 5G deployments, whereas the previous version
defined protocol behavior for 4G deployments only. While EAP-AKA' as
defined in RFC 5448 is not obsolete, this document defines the most
recent and fully backwards-compatible specification of EAP-AKA'. This
document updates both RFCs 4187 and 5448.

This document is a product of the EAP Method Update Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC