Subject: Protocol Action: Entity MIB (Version 2) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:59:51 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft Entity MIB (Version 2)
<draft-ietf-entmib-v2-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Entity MIB Working Group. This
document obsoletes RFC 2037.

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
 for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
 In particular, it describes managed objects used for managing multiple
 logical and physical entities managed by a single SNMP agent.
 This document obsoletes RFC 2037.

Working Group Summary

 The working group made chnages to this MIB to align it with SNMPv3.
 They have also addressed some requirements that emerged since
 punblication of RFC 2037 and some that emerged based on implementation
 experience. The WG further addressed the requirment to allow for
 international strings for those strings that are meant for humans.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests that the Change log section (5.14) be replaced with the 
following text:

5.14.  Changes Since RFC 2037

5.14.1.  Textual Conventions

The PhysicalClass TC text has been clarified, and a new enumeration to
support 'stackable' components has been added.  The SnmpEngineIdOrNone
TC has been added to support SNMPv3.

5.14.2.  New entPhysicalTable Objects

The entPhysicalHardwareRev, entPhysicalFirmwareRev, and
entPhysicalSoftwareRev objects have been added for revision
identification.

The entPhysicalSerialNum, entPhysicalMfgName, entPhysicalModelName, and
entPhysicalIsFru objects have been added for better vendor
identification for physical components.  The entPhysicalSerialNum object
can be set by a management station in the event the agent cannot
identify this information.

The entPhysicalAlias and entPhysicalAssetID objects have been added for
better user component identification. These objects are intended to be
set by a management station and preserved by the agent across restarts.

5.14.3.  New entLogicalTable Objects

The entLogicalContextEngineID and entLogicalContextName objects have
been added to provide an SNMP context for SNMPv3 access on behalf of a
logical entity.

5.14.4.  Bugfixes

A bug was fixed in the entLogicalCommunity object. The subrange was
incorrect (1..255) and is now (0..255).  The description clause has also
been clarified.  This object is now deprecated.

The entLastChangeTime object description has been changed to generalize
the events which cause an update to the last change timestamp.

The syntax was changed from DisplayString to SnmpAdminString for the
entPhysicalDescr, entPhysicalName, and entLogicalDescr objects.