Subject: [Entmib] Proposed Charter Update

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:57:15 -0500

Hi All,

Based on our discussions in SLC, I have sent the attached
charter update to Bert for his review and IESG approval.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks,
Margaret

Entity MIB (entmib) 

Chair(s): 
         Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s): 

         Randy Bush <[email-masked]> 
         Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor: 

         Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists: 

         General Discussion: [email-masked] 
         To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib 
         Archive: 
         www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/entmib/current/maillist.htm 

Description of Working Group: 

This working group is chartered to standardize a set of managed 
objects representing logical and physical entities and the 
relationships between them. Logical entities can occur when a 
single agent supports multiple instances of one MIB, such as 
RFCs 1493, 1525, or 1850 where each instance represents a 
single (logical) device/entity. Physical entities are the actual 
physical components on which the logical entities operate; 
typically, the physical components exist in a hierarchy.
  
The set of objects will be consistent with the SNMP framework and 
existing SNMP standards. 

The scope of the defined managed objects should allow an NMS to 
interrogate a standard SNMP context and thereby discover what 
logical and physical entities exist, how to access the MIB 
information of each logical entity, and the relationships between 
the various entities. The MIB should support both a single agent 
or multiple agents in one physical entity.  

The WG will also standardize a set of managed objects representing
sensor entities.  Sensor entities are physical entities that report 
a value based on external conditions, such as temperature sensors, power
monitors, etc.  The Sensor Entity MIB will augment the basic Entity 
MIB to allow an NMS to obtain the value reported by a sensor.
This MIB will not contain internal support for alarms or 
thresholds, but should work with standard alarm and threshold MIBs,
such as RMON-2.

Goals and Milestones: 

Done    Post Internet-Draft for Entity MIB. 

Done    Post updated Entity MIB Internet-Draft. 

Done    Submit final version of Internet-Draft for consideration 
         as a Proposed Standard. 

Done    Finalize scope of changes/augmentations to RFC 2037 

Done    Post updated/new Internet Drafts 

Done    Reach agreement on changes/extensions to RFC 2037 

Done    Evaluate status of RFC 2037 and report to the IESG if 
         it should be recycled at Proposed or can be elevated 
         to Draft Standard. (Got recycled at proposed).

Done    Submit Internet Draft containing Entity MIB Extensions 
         to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard. 

Done    Evaluate status of the Entity MIB and collect 
         implementation  and interoperability reports 

Done    Recommend to the IESG if the Entity MIB can be elevated 
         to Draft Standard (Not enough implementation experience
         to advance at this time, Dec 01)

Dec 01  Post Internet-Draft for Sensor Entity MIB

Jan 02  Determine if the Entity MIB should be modified to resolve
         any open issues

Feb 02  Re-cycle the updated Entity MIB at proposed standard,
         if necessary

Apr 02  Submit final version of Internet-Draft for Sensor
         Entity MIB for consideration as a Proposed Standard

Jul 02  Evaluate status of the Entity MIB and collect 
         implementation and interoperability reports 

Sep 02  Recommend to the IESG if the Entity MIB can be elevated 
         to Draft Standard. 

Oct 02  Evaluate status of the Sensor Entity MIB and 
         collect implementation and interoperability reports

Dec 02  Recommend to the IESG if the Sensor Entity MIB can 
         be elevated to Draft Standard

Jan 03  Re-charter or shut-down the WG

No Current Internet-Drafts
  
Request For Comments: 
         Entity MIB (Version 2) (RFC 2737) (125141 bytes)

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib