Subject: [Entmib] RFC 2737 additions

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:39:04 +0100

Here is the PhysicalIndexOrZero addition to the ENTITY-MIB. It is
remarkably similar to the InterfaceIndexOrZero TC.

PhysicalIndexOrZero ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS            current
    DESCRIPTION
	    "This textual convention is an extension of the
	     PhysicalIndex convention which defines a greater than
	     zero value used to identify a physical entity. This
	     extension permits the additional value of zero. The
	     semantics of the value zero are object-specific and must
	     therefore be defined as part of the description of any
	     object which uses this syntax. Examples of the usage of
	     this extension are situations where none or all physical
	     entities need to be referenced. "
    SYNTAX INTEGER (0..2147483647)

This is a nice to have addition. I do not think it is worth to publish
another RFC just to get this definition into the MIB. However, if the
WG decides to spin the document to add other stuff, the addition of
PhysicalIndexOrZero should be considered.

Note that this textual convention does not change anything
implementation wise since it only provides infrastructure for other
modules that want to refer to physical entities. As such one could
even argue that it be OK to add it when moving to Draft since the
implementation of this textual convention happens in other MIBs which
actually use this textual convention - but that is the ADs judgement
call.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib