Subject: [Entmib] Fwd: WG Review: Revised Charter for Entity MIB (entmib)

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:19:55 -0500

FYI -- Our new charter has been approved.

Let's getting cracking!

Margaret

>From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
>To: IETF-Announce:;
>cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: WG Review: Revised Charter for Entity MIB (entmib)
>Date:   Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:01:47 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>A revised charter has been received for the Entity MIB (entmib)
>Working Group, and is provided here for informational purposes.
>
>The current charter can be accessed at: 
>
>         http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/entmib-charter.html
>
>New/Proposed Description of Working Group:
>
>This working group is chartered to standardize a set of managed
>objects representing logical and physical entities and the
>relationships between them. Logical entities can occur when a
>single agent supports multiple instances of one MIB, such as
>RFCs 1493, 1525, or 1850 where each instance represents a
>single (logical) device/entity. Physical entities are the actual
>physical components on which the logical entities operate;
>typically, the physical components exist in a hierarchy.
>
>The set of objects will be consistent with the SNMP framework and
>existing SNMP standards.
>
>The scope of the defined managed objects should allow an NMS to
>interrogate a standard SNMP context and thereby discover what
>logical and physical entities exist, how to access the MIB
>information of each logical entity, and the relationships between
>the various entities. The MIB should support both a single agent
>or multiple agents in one physical entity.
>
>The WG will also standardize a set of managed objects representing
>sensor entities.  Sensor entities are physical entities that report
>a value based on external conditions, such as temperature sensors, power
>monitors, etc.  The Sensor Entity MIB will augment the basic Entity
>MIB to allow an NMS to obtain the value reported by a sensor.
>This MIB will not contain internal support for alarms or
>thresholds, but should work with standard alarm and threshold MIBs,
>such as RMON-2.

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:19:55 -0500

Let's getting cracking!

Margaret