Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #80] AutoReply: Relationship with other MIBs

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0500

Hi

Note that I have added descriptions of these three items to entstate-80 on
http://rt.psg.com (ietf, ietf)

The proposed resolution to entstate-80 is as follows:

Create a section called "Relation to Other MIBs, move the discussion about
the relation to the Alarm MIB and the text that did not get deleted from the
first two paragraphs in section 2.2 as a "Relationship to the Interfaces
MIB". Add in extra sections to cover the first two of theses items. 

[Although the textual convention from the printer MIB could have been
generic, it contains "Status of a printer sub-unit" within its description
which would seem to discourage its use outside of the printer physical type,
which to my knowledge is not a currently recognized entPhysicalType. I
suggest not putting in a section relating this to the Entity State MIB at
this time.]

N.3 Relation to Bridge MIB

For entities of physical type of 'port' that support the dot1dStpPortEnable
object, a value of 'enabled' is equivalent to setting the entStateAdmin
object to 'unlocked'. Setting dot1dStpPortEnable to 'disabled' is equivalent
to setting the entStateAdmin object to 'locked'.

N.4 Relation to the Host Resources MIB

The hrDeviceStatus object in the Host Resources MIB provides an operational
state for devices. For entities that logically correspond to the concept of
a device, a value of 'unknown' for hrDeviceStatus corresponds to an
entStateOper value of 'notSupported'. A value of 'running' corresponds to an
entStateOper value of 'enabled'. A value of 'warning' also corresponds to an
entStateOper value of 'enabled', but with appropriate bits set in the
entStateAlarm object to indicate the alarms corresponding to the unusual
error condition detected. A value of 'testing' or 'down' is equivalent to an
entStateOper value of 'disabled'. 

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:47 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #80] AutoReply: Relationship with other MIBs
<clip>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

'h) Relationship of the entState* objects to the dot1dStpPortEnable of
   the BRIDGE-MIB?

i) Relationship of the entState* objects to the hrDeviceStatus of
   the HOST-RESOURCES-MIB?

j) Relationship of the entState* objects to the objects using the 
   SubUnitStatus TC of the Printer-MIB?
'

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:31:46 -0500

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:47 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #80] AutoReply: Relationship with other MIBs
<clip>