Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:31:23 -0500

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-327. The issue 
will be considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.

1) Change the end of the abstract from

	"provide information about the state of the entity."

   to the following:

	"provide information about the state of physical entities."

2) In the description to StandbyStatus replace

"      providing service, but is will be immediately able to"

With

"      providing service, but it will be immediately able to"

3) Note that the resolution to issue #311 covers this

4) In the description of entStateAdmin replace

"The administrative state for this entity. A value
                of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                to report administrative state. This object can not
                be administratively set to 'notSupported'. For
                entities that do not support administrative state,
                changing the value of this object to something other
                than 'notSupported' is not permitted.  A value of
                'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case."

With

"The administrative state for this entity. A value
                of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                to report administrative state. This object can not
                be manually set to 'notSupported'. For
                entities that do not support administrative state,
                changing the value of this object to something other
                than 'notSupported' is not permitted.  A value of
                'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case."

7) Replace

"
   entStateNotificationGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP"

With

"
   entStateNotificationsGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP
      "

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:53 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues
<clip>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

"1) Change the end of the abstract from

	provide information about the state of the entity.

   to the following:

	provide information about the state of physical entities.

   Rationale: This MIB is specific to physical entities and since the
   ENTITY-MIB also has the concept of logical entities, I think it is
   better to more precise.

2) Description of StandByStatus, change

	"... but is will be immediately ..." 

   to the following:

	"... but will be immediately ..."

3) Description of entStateLastChanged, change 

   DESCRIPTION "The value of this object is the date and
               time when state/status of the entity
               last changed, or zero."

   to the following:

   DESCRIPTION "The value of this object is the date and
               time when state/status of the entity
               last changed, or '0000000000000000'H."

4) Description of entStateAdmin. I believe the following two sentences
   are kind of a contradiction:

             [...] This object can not
             be administratively set to 'notSupported'. For
             entities that do not support administrative state,
             changing the value of this object to something other
             than 'notSupported' is not permitted.  A value of
             'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case.

   With the text in the second paragraph of the description clause, I
   think this can be fixed by just removing a sentence without loosing
   anything:

             [...] This object can not
             be administratively set to 'notSupported'. A value of
             'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case.

<clip>

7) The MIB did not compile because you once use
   entStateNotificationGroup and once you use
   entStateNotificationsGroup (see the plural s). Pick one.

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:15:10 -0500

[Note some of the finer bits of this text will be influenced by the
resolution to other problems]

   to the following:

With

With

"The administrative state for this entity. A value 
		  of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                  to report administrative state. 
		  
		  Setting this object to 'notSupported' will result
		  in an 'inconsistentValue' error. For entities that
		  do not support administrative state, all set
		  operations will result in an 'inconsistentValue' 
		  error.""

7) Replace

"

With

"

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 8:34 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues

>                 'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case."

I still find the text confusing from a stylistic point of view. What about
this:

                 "The administrative state for this entity. A value 
		  of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                  to report administrative state. 
		  
		  Setting this object to 'notSupported' will result
		  in an 'inconsistentValue' error. For entities that
		  do not support administrative state, all set
		  operations will result in an 'inconsistentValue' 
		  error."

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:15:10 -0500

to the following:

With

With

7) Replace

"

With

"

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 8:34 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues

		  

/js