Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:44:38 -0500

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-310. The issue will be
considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.

In the description of AlarmStatus replace

"            When the
             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
             being repaired."

With

"            When the
             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
             being repaired, which depending on the implementation, 
             may make the other values in this bit string unreliable."

And replace

"
             When the value of 'alarmOutstanding' is set, one or more
             alarms is active against the resource. The fault may or may
             not be disabling. "

With

"
             When the value of 'alarmOutstanding' is set, one or more
             alarms is active against the resource. The fault may or may
             not be disabling. This bit provides a high-level summary that 
             can be used to determine whether or not to examine the rest of
             the values."

An explanation on the difference between raw and computed state, as defined
in section 2.1 was previously provided in relation to the severity of alarms
issue. No change appears to be necessary on that particular issue.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:58 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

<clip>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith McCloghrie [[email-masked]]

">   'underRepair' is an operState, not an AlarmState.
> 
>   from what perspective are the alarms classified as
critical/major/minor/etc.
>   e.g., does a particular fault have the same alarm status
in 'coldStandby'
>   as it does in 'hotStandby' or in 'providingService' ??  (hint: the
answer
>   is no!!).
"

Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

"6) AlarmStatus TC: I do not really understand the alarmOutStanding
bit. It seems like this is set whenever one of critical, major,
minor, warning and indeterminate is set. But if this is true, I
think the bit is not really terrible useful.

Perhaps the bit has some other meaning. If so, please clarify." 

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:44:38 -0500

"            When the

With

"            When the

And replace

"

With

"

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:58 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

<clip>

in 'coldStandby'
answer
"

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:50:30 -0800

HI,

The Alarm Status (not state) brings up the unsettled definition of
what is "an alarm" and what is "clearing an alarm". The definition 
of an alarm MUST be specified for the TC and object to be useful.
Or another term must be used (and, of course, that term must be 
well defined).
I suggest that the term "alarm" be replaced by "fault". And the
following be used for the TC and object definitions:

  FaultStatus  ::=  TEXTUAL-CONVENTION                                
     STATUS         current                                           
     DESCRIPTION                                                      
          "The fault status, which is a bit string.

          When all the bits are zero, then no faults are present.

          The bit 'unavailable(0)' indicates that the fault status
          is unknown. When set, all bits other than 'underRepair(1)'
          must be zero. The 'underRepair(1)' indicates that the
          an item is under repair.

          The following bits are one when one or more faults of
          the perceived severity exist. The value is zero for
          a bit when there is no existing fault of the perceived
          severity. The bits and faults are:
             'critical(2)'
             'major(3)'
             'minor(4)'
             'warning(5)'
             'indeterminate(6)' (the perceived severity cannot
                                 be determined)

          The entity may continue to operate while a fault
          condition exists."
      SYNTAX         BITS                                        
              {
              unavailable(0),                                      
              underRepair(1),                                         
              critical(2),                                            
              major(3),                                               
              minor(4),                                               
              -- The following are not defined in X.733               
              warning(6),                                            
              indeterminate(7)                                       
              }                                         

  entStateFault OBJECT-TYPE                                         
        SYNTAX      FaultStatus                                     
        MAX-ACCESS  read-only                                       
        STATUS      current                                         
        DESCRIPTION                                                 
             "The fault status for this entity. It does not include 
             the faults raised on entities within its       
             containment hierarchy. These are entities that
             specify this entity as the value for object
             entPhysicalContainedIn directly and indirectly."
        ::= { entStateEntry 5 }                                     

>Subject: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues
Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:50:30 -0800

HI,

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:58:09 -0500

Hi

All we need to do is refer to the definitions in the Alarm MIB and we should
be good.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 12:51 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

HI,

The Alarm Status (not state) brings up the unsettled definition of what is
"an alarm" and what is "clearing an alarm". The definition 
of an alarm MUST be specified for the TC and object to be useful. Or another
term must be used (and, of course, that term must be 
well defined).
I suggest that the term "alarm" be replaced by "fault". And the following be
used for the TC and object definitions:

At 02:44 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
>The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-310. The issue 
>will be considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.
>
>An explanation on the difference between raw and computed state, as 
>defined in section 2.1 was previously provided in relation to the 
>severity of alarms issue. No change appears to be necessary on that 
>particular issue.
>
>Sharon
>
>
>bit. It seems like this is set whenever one of critical, major, minor, 
>warning and indeterminate is set. But if this is true, I think the bit 
>is not really terrible useful.
>
Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:51:56 -0500

"
            "Represents the possible values of alarm status.

             When no bits of this attribute are set, then none of the
             status conditions described below are present. When the
             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
             being repaired.

             When the value of 'critical' is set, one or more critical
             alarms are active against the resource. When the value of
             'major' is set, one or more major alarms are active against
             the resource. When the value of 'minor' is set, one or more
             minor alarms are active against the resource. When the
             value of 'warning' is set, one or more warning alarms are
             active against the resource. When the value of
             'indeterminate' is set, one or more  alarms of
             indeterminate severity are active against the resource.

With

"
            "Represents the possible values of alarm status.  An Alarm
[ALARM-MIB] 
             is a persistent indication of an error or warning condition.

             When no bits of this attribute are set, then none of the
             status conditions described below are present.  When the
             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
             being repaired, which depending on the implementation, 
             may make the other values in this bit string unreliable.

             When the value of 'critical' is set, one or more critical
             alarms are active against the resource. When the value of
             'major' is set, one or more major alarms are active against
             the resource. When the value of 'minor' is set, one or more
             minor alarms are active against the resource. When the
             value of 'warning' is set, one or more warning alarms are
             active against the resource. When the value of
             'indeterminate' is set, one or more alarms whose of 
             perceived severity cannot be determined are active against 
             this resource.

             the values. "

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 12:51 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

HI,

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:40:15 -0500

Hi

Ok, while I still think it's a useful little bit, if there are not
objections, I'm willing to remove it. Are there any other views on this?

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 5:52 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

>              can be used to determine whether or not to examine the rest
of

I still fail to understand why we need a bit to summarize 6 other bits in a
single byte. Unless someone can explain what the performance gain is of this
summary bit, I tend to object to having this bit.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:40:15 -0500

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 5:52 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

/js

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:57:19 -0500

[Note that the previously proposed edits were done and are reflected in
version -03 of the Entity State MIB. The following is an additional edit on
top of that.]

In the DESCRIPTION of AlarmStatus remove the following text:

"When the value of 'alarmOutstanding' is set, one or more
            alarms is active against the resource. The fault may
            or may not be disabling. This bit provides a high-level
            summary that can be used to determine whether or not
            to examine the rest of the values.  "

And in the enumeration for AlarmStatus, replace:

"
                alarmOutstanding(5),
                warning (6),
                indeterminate (7)
                              "

With

"                -- The following are not defined in X.733
                warning (5),
                indeterminate (6)
                              "
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 11:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 5:52 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

>              can be used to determine whether or not to examine the 
> rest
of

/js

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:57:19 -0500

"
                alarmOutstanding(5),

With

-----Original Message-----
From: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 11:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 5:52 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

of

/js