Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:57:58 -0500

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-330. The issue 
will be considered closed with no changes made to the document.

The notifications tell when the operational state for the given
entPhysicalIndex has changed. The notification contains the two varbinds
entStateAdmin and entStateAlarm. entPhysicalIndex can be extracted from one
of those varbinds. The missing information is then the usage state, which is
not that interesting from a fault management perspective and the standyby
state which is usually going to be 'providingService'. I think we get the
usefulness of admin status. The alarm status tells you how many outstanding
problems have been reported against this entity. This is interesting from a
fault management perspective.

Sharon  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 1:01 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds
<clip>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

"I am wondering why both notifications contain the entStateAlarm
   value, especially entStateOperEnabled notification. This surely is
   not wrong, but I am wondering what the rationale for including the
   entStateAlarm is (and for excluding other objects)."

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:53:02 -0500

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-330. The issue 
will be considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.

In the description to entStateOperEnabled and entStateOperDisabled add the
following text

"The entStateAdmin and entStateAlarm varbinds may examined to find out
additional information on the administrative state at the time of the
operation state change as well to find out whether there were any known
alarms against the entity at that time."
              
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 8:23 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:57:58PM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
 
> The alarm status tells you how many outstanding problems have been
> reported against this entity. This is interesting from a fault 
> management perspective.

Let me ask again: Why is the alarm status important in the
entStateOperEnabled notification? Do you expect that entities transition in
the enabled operational state while alarms are 
pending? Is that spelled out somewhere?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:22:02 -0500

[Note: I'm trying to answer the question without enforcing a particular
operational model on the management application. I don't think this is the
right place to do that.]

In the description to entStateOperDisabled add the following text

"The entStateAdmin and entStateAlarm varbinds may be examined to find out
additional information on the administrative state at the time of the
operation state change as well to find out whether there were any known
alarms against the entity at that time that may explain why the physical
entity has become operationally disabled. "
              
In the description to entStateOperEnabled add the following text

"The entStateAdmin and entStateAlarm varbinds may be examined to find out
additional information on the administrative state at the time of the
operation state change as well to find out whether there were any known
alarms against the entity at that time that may have affect on the physical
entity's ability to stay operationally enabled."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 5:52 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 04:53:02PM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
> In the description to entStateOperEnabled and entStateOperDisabled add 
> the following text
> 
> operation state change as well to find out whether there were any 
> known alarms against the entity at that time."

The text is OK and does not hurt, but you did not answer my question.

/js

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:22:02 -0500

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 5:52 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds

/js