Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:57:58 -0500

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-330. The issue 
will be considered closed with no changes made to the document.

The notifications tell when the operational state for the given
entPhysicalIndex has changed. The notification contains the two varbinds
entStateAdmin and entStateAlarm. entPhysicalIndex can be extracted from one
of those varbinds. The missing information is then the usage state, which is
not that interesting from a fault management perspective and the standyby
state which is usually going to be 'providingService'. I think we get the
usefulness of admin status. The alarm status tells you how many outstanding
problems have been reported against this entity. This is interesting from a
fault management perspective.

Sharon  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 1:01 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #330] AutoReply: Notification Varbinds
<clip>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

"I am wondering why both notifications contain the entStateAlarm
   value, especially entStateOperEnabled notification. This surely is
   not wrong, but I am wondering what the rationale for including the
   entStateAlarm is (and for excluding other objects)."

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:23:17 +0100

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:57:58PM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
 
> The alarm status tells you how many outstanding problems have been 
> reported against this entity. This is interesting from a fault 
> management perspective.

Let me ask again: Why is the alarm status important in the
entStateOperEnabled notification? Do you expect that entities
transition in the enabled operational state while alarms are 
pending? Is that spelled out somewhere?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:23:17 +0100

/js