Subject: [Entmib] Standby

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:41:02 -0800

HI,

"Standby status" items should be renamed to "standby state" to be
consistent with the other naming of other items in the MIB module.
(Items are "state" when value is an enumerated int, and "status"
when the value is a bit string.)

There is one important value missing from the enums for standby.
It is the one that means that the service output is combined
with other entities. This is commonly found with power supplies
where the output is "summed". 

Section 2.2 is incorrect. It implies that by reading the value
of entStandbyStatus for all entities, then entities can be classified
as redundant (or protected). This is not true. Say that there
are two entities that are identical and provide a "protected"
service. At any time, only one is providing service, and the
other is standing by protecting the other. A "protection switch"
causes the roles to change (that is the one providing service
will switch to standing by, and the one standing by will start
to providing service).

In general, this MIB module does not provide enough information
to determine 1) which entities are protected, 2) the relationship
between the entities that are protected and the entities providing
protection.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib