Subject: [ESDS] Fwd: ESDS BOF Comments

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:07:17 -0800

More comments..

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
> Date: January 31, 2008 6:14:54 AM PST
> To: IAB <[email-masked]>, IESG <[email-masked]>
> Subject: ESDS BOF Comments
>
>
> The problem is very interesting. I think it would be great if APPS
> worked on new applications infrastructure like this.
>
> However, I have a few question marks:
>
> 1) I'm getting a little bit nervous about other SDOs that are already
> working in this space. Would an IETF standard here have a chance in
> succeeding? Who are the proponents of this work, and do they represent
> entities that can drive this market to some direction? If the existing
> standards have problems, are those problems already being addressed
> somewhere?
>
> 2) I do not understand the market and political forces involved in the
> interconnection of these tracking systems. I fear that we may be
> surprised what is required beyond simple connection, e.g., policies
> involving how information can be accessed via third parties etc.
>
> 3) The IETF would clearly have a lot of expertise in the  
> technology. Are
> there enough participants from this business section that we  
> understand
> well enough what the user perspectives are. We don't necessarily need
> many if they are good ones, but we do need some.
>
> Jari
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds

---

From: Gregor Baues <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:48:46 +0100

Dear all,

1 ) Being fairly new to IETF I don't know what "SDO" stands for ? And to
what other SDOs and existing standards you refer to ?

2) This is taken care of in the specs if i am right but Mark or somebody
from Afilias may comment on this. The main issue we are facing is
integrating many different parties in such an environment. ESDS will allow
to take out the complexity of B2B integration on a technical level
providing  limited set of infrastructure (ESDS services) providers for
event / data / service endpoint exchange. In terms of allowing access to
events and/or associated data contracutal discussion between the parties
will not go away. Except the possibilities that such an exchange is
organized on an industry level such as done by IATA for the airline
industry.

3) I can think about several potential use cases for the discovery service
out of the airline industry ( e.g. bagagge handling ).  Others may comment
on their respective domains. In general, as i can see it, all loosley
coupled B2B integration scenarios using/requiring real-time information
and/or visibility on assets within a given business process  are possible
candidates for using the ESDS protocol.

Best Regards

Gregor Baues

             Lisa Dusseault                                                
             <ldusseault@comme                                             
             rce.net>                                                    A 
             Envoyé par :              [email-masked]                       
             esds-bounces@ietf                                          cc 
             .org                                                          
                                                                     Objet 
                                       [ESDS] Fwd: ESDS BOF Comments       
             02/01/2008 06:07                                              
             PM                                                            

More comments..

Begin forwarded message:

      1) I'm getting a little bit nervous about other SDOs that are already
      working in this space. Would an IETF standard here have a chance in
      succeeding? Who are the proponents of this work, and do they
      represent
      entities that can drive this market to some direction? If the
      existing
      standards have problems, are those problems already being addressed
      somewhere?

      2) I do not understand the market and political forces involved in
      the
      interconnection of these tracking systems. I fear that we may be
      surprised what is required beyond simple connection, e.g., policies
      involving how information can be accessed via third parties etc.

      3) The IETF would clearly have a lot of expertise in the technology.
      Are
      there enough participants from this business section that we
      understand
      well enough what the user perspectives are. We don't necessarily need
      many if they are good ones, but we do need some.

      Jari

---

From: Stephen van Egmond <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:01:16 +0000

Gregor Baues ([email-masked]) wrote:
>    1 ) Being fairly new to IETF I don't know what "SDO" stands for ? And
>    to what other SDOs and existing standards you refer to ?

Gregor,
SDO = Standards-Development Organization

Perhaps referring to EPCglobal?  

>    3) I can think about several potential use cases for the discovery
>    service out of the airline industry ( e.g. bagagge handling ). Others
>    may comment on their respective domains. In general, as i can see it,
>    all loosley coupled B2B integration scenarios using/requiring
>    real-time information and/or visibility on assets within a given
>    business process are possible candidates for using the ESDS protocol.

I certainly would agree, that there's broad applicability to situations
where you want to know where something came from, where something is,
or where it should be.

Steve