Subject: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - update

From: Ali Rezafard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:40:51 -0500

Dear ESDS group,

Thanks for your responses to the initial proposed charter. Attached is 
the updated charter based on your feedback and comments by IAB and IESG. 
Please review and comment.

Best Regards,
Ali Rezafard

Extensible Supply-chain Discovery Service (ESDS)

Chair(s):
    Mark Harrison <mark.harrison at cantab.net>
Applications Area Director(s):
    Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org>
    Chris Newman <chris.newman at sun.com>
Applications Area Advisor:
    Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org>
Mailing List(s): 
    esds at ietf.org
General information about the mailing list is at:
    https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds

Purpose of Working Group:
The use of Supply chain Tracking Systems is rising at an unprecedented rate,
particularly as various industry sectors are increasingly adopting automatic
identification technologies such as Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) to
automatically track individual physical objects as they move through a supply
chain.  Rather than tracking at batch or lot level, the ultimate goal of this
technology is that each individual physical object will have its own unique
ID, which can be used to gather and retrieve complete lifecycle information
about the object, which is fragmented across the supply chain. Deployment of
these systems has grown to a point where they can no longer operate
effectively in isolation from other systems.  There is a need to share data
among these disparate systems, which are owned and operated by separate
organizations.

ESDS has been chartered to architect and define the protocol of a Discovery
Service for global supply chains. ESDS's goal is to enable searching for
information on physical objects flowing in a supply chain, by authorized and
authenticated users.  Economic and technical factors dictate that Discovery
Services and their protocol ESDS must be designed for deployment on the
Internet. Access control, data protection and security are of utmost
importance, due to sensitivity and value of the information generated by the
supply chain.

Work Items:
The work group will address to the following work items:
1.Initial Conventions
    a)Define common vocabulary and terminology
    b)Define core data sets for sharing on Discovery Service, including
    required data fields, optional data fields, and extensible data fields
    (e.g. who, what, when, where, why, links, identifier, lifecycle, class,
    etc.)
    c)Define handling for time zones (e.g. accepting only UTC timestamps vs.
    accepting timestamps with any timezone)
2.Security
    a)Considerations for access control policies and their impact on Work
    Items 3 and 4
    b)Define security architecture and mechanisms for authorization,
    authentication , encryption (e.g. integrating security certificates into
    the protocol vs. relying on a security layer such as SSL)
    c)Define a common interface and roles for access control configuration
    (e.g. supply chain, partner, user )
3.Publishing Interface
    a)Define mechanism for uniquely identifying objects in a supply chain
    without requiring a global unique identifier for each and all objects that
    enter a supply chain
    b)Define a protocol for advertising/publishing data resources (Resource
    Discovery)
    c)Define a protocol and policy for retracting or voiding published data
    d)Define policies for updating stale and broken links (e.g. for records
    with a long retention period, it is vital that links can be updated, when
    required)
4.Query Interface
    a)Define a protocol for querying published data, facilitating both
    one-time queries and standing queries (e.g. pull vs. push queries)
    b)Determine how aggregation and disaggregation events should be handled
    including policies for access control and visibility of these events (e.g.
    a pallet is broken down into boxes and each box has its own destination
    supply chain and access policy)
    c)Determine if multilayer information visibility is required (e.g. a query
    with limited access can be informed of the existence of information for a
    particular object, but to view the actual information, full access
    privileges would be required. This has particular implications for
    peer-to-peer searching across multiple Discovery Services)
5.DS-DS Peer Communications Interface 
    a)Architect a bootstrapping policy for objects while ensuring security and
    confidentiality (e.g. locating one or more Discovery Services for a
    product which is mis-delivered)
    b)Define a peer-to-peer protocol to enable linking Discovery Service
    servers together (e.g. retrieving information about the entire lifecycle
    of a product as it moves through various supply chains)
    c)Determine if Discovery Services should facilitate peer-to-peer access
    negotiation process (e.g. a query client negotiates for access to
    information from an organization in the situation where the
    information-providing organization does not have an established business
    (trust) relationship with the client and therefore chooses initially not
    to reveal its identity to the client)

Goals and Milestones:
Done            Submit a draft problem statement
April 2008      Submit a document outlining the Initial Conventions
July 2008       Submit a draft on requirements for Security
September 2008  Submit a draft requirements for Publishing Interface
November 2008   Submit a draft proposed protocol for Publishing Interface
January 2008    Submit a draft on requirements for Query Interface
March 2009      Submit a draft proposed protocol for Query Interface
May 2009        Submit a draft on requirements for DS-DS peer Communications Interface
July 2009       Submit a draft proposed protocol for DS-DS peer Communications Interface

Current Internet-Drafts:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-young-esds-concepts-03.txt 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thompson-esds-commands-02.txt 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thompson-esds-schema-02.txt 

Further Background Reading:
BRIDGE project - Requirements for Discovery Services
http://www.bridge-project.eu/data/File/BRIDGE%20WP02%20Serial%20level%20lookup%20Requirements.pdf
 
BRIDGE project - high-level design for Discovery Services
http://www.bridge-project.eu/data/File/BRIDGE%20WP02%20High%20level%20design%20Discovery%20Services.pdf
_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds