Subject: [ESDS] Preliminary agenda for ESDS BOF meeting

From: Mark Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:26:22 +0000

Dear ESDS folks,

There will be a Birds Of a Feather (BOF) meeting for the ESDS activity  
at the 71st IETF meeting, in Philadelphia during the week 9-14 March  
(exact date to be confirmed soon).  http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/71-IETF.html

We propose the following preliminary agenda for the ESDS BOF meeting:

1. Introduction & Agenda ( Mark Harrison ) [15 min]
2. Review of Problem Statement ( Michael Young ) [15 min]
3. Review of Requirements ( Mark Harrison ) [15 min]
4. Discussion [60 min]
5. Determine group consensus on WG formation [15 min]
  a. If consensus is reached, review proposed WG Charter and Work Items
  b. If consensus not reached, discussions on additional required work  
to justify a WG

During the BOF meeting, the following questions will be discussed:

1) Is there support to form a work group with the following charter?
(i.e. that the charter itself is ready and supported by the community

2) Does the community think that that the problem statement is clear,  
well-scoped, solvable, and useful to solve?

3) Would you be willing to review documents? (or comment on the  
mailing list?)

4) Would you be willing to serve as an editor for some of the  
document(s) to be produced by the work group?  Which ones?

5) Do you think that given any charter revisions discussed during the  
BOF (subject to review and finalization on the mailing list), that a  
work group should be formed?

6) If you do not feel that a work group should not be formed, why not?

7) If you feel that you do not have sufficient information to answer  
any of questions 1-6 - or that a particular question is premature,  
please indicate what additional information would be helpful.

Please consider the preliminary agenda and questions above - and feel  
free to comment on these to the ESDS mailing list, even before the BOF  
meeting.

You may wish to remind yourself of the Problem Statement for ESDS:

	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-00.txt

Here is a reminder of the draft charter for ESDS and the statement of  
work

Extensible Supply-chain Discovery Service (ESDS)

Chair(s):
   Mark Harrison <mark.harrison at cantab.net>
Applications Area Director(s):
   Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org>
   Chris Newman <chris.newman at sun.com>
Applications Area Advisor:
   Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org>
Mailing List(s):
   esds at ietf.org
General information about the mailing list is at:
   https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds

Purpose of Working Group:
The use of Supply chain Tracking Systems is rising at an unprecedented  
rate,
particularly as various industry sectors are increasingly adopting  
automatic
identification technologies such as Radio-Frequency Identification  
(RFID) to
automatically track individual physical objects as they move through a  
supply
chain.  Rather than tracking at batch or lot level, the ultimate goal  
of this
technology is that each individual physical object will have its own  
unique
ID, which can be used to gather and retrieve complete lifecycle  
information
about the object, which is fragmented across the supply chain.  
Deployment of
these systems has grown to a point where they can no longer operate
effectively in isolation from other systems.  There is a need to share  
data
among these disparate systems, which are owned and operated by separate
organizations.

ESDS has been chartered to architect and define the protocol of a  
Discovery
Service for global supply chains. ESDS's goal is to enable searching for
information on physical objects flowing in a supply chain, by  
authorized and
authenticated users.  Economic and technical factors dictate that  
Discovery
Services and their protocol ESDS must be designed for deployment on the
Internet. Access control, data protection and security are of utmost
importance, due to sensitivity and value of the information generated  
by the
supply chain.

Work Items:
The work group will address to the following work items:
1.Initial Conventions
   a)Define common vocabulary and terminology
   b)Define core data sets for sharing on Discovery Service, including
   required data fields, optional data fields, and extensible data  
fields
   (e.g. who, what, when, where, why, links, identifier, lifecycle,  
class,
   etc.)
   c)Define handling for time zones (e.g. accepting only UTC  
timestamps vs.
   accepting timestamps with any timezone)
2.Security
   a)Considerations for access control policies and their impact on Work
   Items 3 and 4
   b)Define security architecture and mechanisms for authorization,
   authentication , encryption (e.g. integrating security certificates  
into
   the protocol vs. relying on a security layer such as SSL)
   c)Define a common interface and roles for access control  
configuration
   (e.g. supply chain, partner, user )
3.Publishing Interface
   a)Define mechanism for uniquely identifying objects in a supply chain
   without requiring a global unique identifier for each and all  
objects that
   enter a supply chain
   b)Define a protocol for advertising/publishing data resources  
(Resource
   Discovery)
   c)Define a protocol and policy for retracting or voiding published  
data
   d)Define policies for updating stale and broken links (e.g. for  
records
   with a long retention period, it is vital that links can be  
updated, when
   required)
4.Query Interface
   a)Define a protocol for querying published data, facilitating both
   one-time queries and standing queries (e.g. pull vs. push queries)
   b)Determine how aggregation and disaggregation events should be  
handled
   including policies for access control and visibility of these  
events (e.g.
   a pallet is broken down into boxes and each box has its own  
destination
   supply chain and access policy)
   c)Determine if multilayer information visibility is required (e.g.  
a query
   with limited access can be informed of the existence of information  
for a
   particular object, but to view the actual information, full access
   privileges would be required. This has particular implications for
   peer-to-peer searching across multiple Discovery Services)
5.DS-DS Peer Communications Interface
   a)Architect a bootstrapping policy for objects while ensuring  
security and
   confidentiality (e.g. locating one or more Discovery Services for a
   product which is mis-delivered)
   b)Define a peer-to-peer protocol to enable linking Discovery Service
   servers together (e.g. retrieving information about the entire  
lifecycle
   of a product as it moves through various supply chains)
   c)Determine if Discovery Services should facilitate peer-to-peer  
access
   negotiation process (e.g. a query client negotiates for access to
   information from an organization in the situation where the
   information-providing organization does not have an established  
business
   (trust) relationship with the client and therefore chooses  
initially not
   to reveal its identity to the client)

Goals and Milestones:
Done            Submit a draft problem statement
April 2008      Submit a document outlining the Initial Conventions
July 2008       Submit a draft on requirements for Security
September 2008  Submit a draft requirements for Publishing Interface
November 2008   Submit a draft proposed protocol for Publishing  
Interface
January 2008    Submit a draft on requirements for Query Interface
March 2009      Submit a draft proposed protocol for Query Interface
May 2009        Submit a draft on requirements for DS-DS peer  
Communications Interface
July 2009       Submit a draft proposed protocol for DS-DS peer  
Communications Interface

We have already attempted to respond to some concerns about the scope  
of the ESDS activity in the following e-mail:
	
	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00055.html

Finally, in preparation for the BOF meeting, you may wish to review  
the following documents:

Current Internet-Drafts:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-young-esds-concepts-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thompson-esds-commands-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thompson-esds-schema-02.txt

Further Background Reading:
BRIDGE project - Requirements for Discovery Services
http://www.bridge-project.eu/data/File/BRIDGE%20WP02%20Serial%20level%20lookup%20Requirements.pdf

BRIDGE project - high-level design for Discovery Services
http://www.bridge-project.eu/data/File/BRIDGE%20WP02%20High%20level%20design%20Discovery%20Services.pdf

We look forward to your participation in ESDS and the BOF meeting in  
Philadelphia.

Best regards,

- Mark Harrison

_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds