Subject: [ESDS] Identifiers in Discovery Service (2nd try)

From: Ali Rezafard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:22:39 -0400

Dear ESDS members,

The first email had a  formatting problem; I am resending the email  
with the addition of a question from Kenneth R. Traub.

The EPCglobal Data Discovery Joint Requirements Group is currently  
collecting enduser requirements for Discovery Services.  One of the  
topics is the kind of identifiers that should be supported in a future  
standard protocol for Discovery Services.  ( It is safe to assume that  
an EPCglobal standard for Discovery Services will at least support EPC  
identifiers in URI format, but maybe members of the ESDS community  
have some additional requirements. )

We would therefore like to take this opportunity to reach out to the  
whole ESDS community to ask you for your views (particularly views  
from endusers) about the kinds of identifiers that you would wish  
Discovery Services to support. Could you please reply to the questions  
below with as much detail as possible and send the replies as soon as  
possible to the ESDS mailing list, so that these could also be  
considered as an external input to the EPCglobal Data Discovery JRG  
from the ESDS community?

Q1.  Which identifiers do you plan to use with Discovery Services?   
Please provide details of the name of the coding scheme, name issuing  
authority and format of the identifier (e.g. number of characters,  
whether numeric or alphanumeric)  and also indicate what kind of  
object it is used to identify (e.g. pharmaceuticals, shipping  
containers, apparel, airline baggage, cattle, etc.)

Q2.  Would you intend to use identifiers that are globally unique  
(e.g. URIs)? What type of identifiers do you currently use?  Do all of  
your trading partners use the same standard?

Q3.  Are there standardized business uses within your industry when  
the same identifier might be used within the same community to refer  
to a different object (e.g. at a later point in time) ?

Q4.  Does your community already have or have they discussed the use  
of a dedicated URI prefix for the identifiers you use (could be a URN  
prefix or even an URI prefix beginning http:// )  ?

Q5.  Would it be acceptable if Discovery Services *required* that all  
identifiers be globally unique URIs?  This would require non-URI  
identifiers to be embedded in a URI structure in order to be used with  
discovery services.

We welcome any additional use case documents for how your company /  
industry sector or community might use Discovery Services.

Please provide this input by September 15, 2008.

Thanks,
Ali Rezafard
_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds