Subject: [ESDS] Identifiers in Discovery Service

From: Ali Rezafard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:48:41 -0400

Dear ESDS members,

The EPCglobal Data Discovery Joint Requirements Group is currently  
collecting
enduser requirements for Discovery Services.  One of the topics is the  
kind of
identifiers that should be supported in a future standard protocol for
Discovery Services.  ( It is safe to assume that an EPCglobal standard  
for
Discovery Services will at least support EPC identifiers in URI  
format, but
maybe members of the ESDS community have some additional requirements. )

We would therefore like to take this opportunity to reach out to the  
whole ESDS
community to ask you for your views (particularly views from endusers)  
about
the kinds of identifiers that you would wish Discovery Services to  
support.
Could you please reply to the questions below with as much detail as  
possible
and send the replies as soon as possible to the ESDS mailing list, so  
that
these could also be considered as an external input to the EPCglobal  
Data
Discovery JRG from the ESDS community?

Q1.  Which identifiers do you plan to use with Discovery Services?   
Please
provide details of the name of the coding scheme, name issuing  
authority and
format of the identifier (e.g. number of characters, whether numeric or
alphanumeric)  and also indicate what kind of object it is used to  
identify
(e.g. pharmaceuticals, shipping containers, apparel, airline baggage,  
cattle,
etc.)

Q2.  Would you intend to use identifiers that are globally unique  
(e.g. URIs)?
What type of identifiers do you currently use?  Do all of your trading  
partners
use the same standard?

Q3.  Are there standardized business uses within your industry when  
the same
identifier might be used within the same community to refer to a  
different
object (e.g. at a later point in time) ?

Q4.  Does your community already have or have they discussed the use  
of a
dedicated URI prefix for the identifiers you use (could be a URN  
prefix or even
an URI prefix beginning http:// )  ?

We welcome any additional use case documents for how your company /  
industry
sector or community might use Discovery Services.

Please provide this input by September 15, 2008.

Thanks,
Ali Rezafard

_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds