Subject: [EToSat] Fwd: [icnrg] IEEE Access Special Issue - Internet of Space: Networking Architectures and Protocols to Support Space-Based Internet Services

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 08:35:36 -0700

Of interest to this group.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: September 27, 2021 at 10:54:18 AM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [icnrg] IEEE Access Special Issue - Internet of Space: Networking
Architectures and Protocols to Support Space-Based Internet Services

(apologize for cross-posting)

*IEEE Access Special Issue -  Internet of Space: Networking Architectures
and Protocols to Support Space-Based Internet Services*

*Submission Deadline:  *30 November 2021

IEEE* Access* invites manuscript submissions in the area of Internet of
Space: Networking Architectures and Protocols to Support Space-Based
Internet Services.

This Special Section is focused on the most recent scientific research and
insights on the evolution of communication architectures and protocols for
an *Internet of Space,* able to boost the creation of a truly global
Internet by means of the integration of the current Internet with a
new *Internet
of Space*. Such evolution is expected to have a significant impact on
several markets such as IoT/Industrial IoT, Mobile services, Industry 4.0,
Government enterprise, and Connected mobility.

The section shall cover work focused on aspects such as how to support the
operation of Tier-1, Tier-2 or even Tier-3 airborne/spaceborne networks;
how to address interoperability, within and across different protocol
layers in the network architecture, leveraging cross-layer design; and
finally how to design a more unified next generation Internet architecture
able to transparently include spaceborne and airborne platforms in a way
that allows for user-centric services, and a smooth operation of transient
networks.

However, an original and competent *Internet of Space*, calls for the
definition of a networking framework able to accommodate specific
properties of dynamic systems, including heterogeneous physical layers,
frequent changes in network topology, high propagation delays, and
intermittent connectivity. The dominant success factor for such a
networking framework is low-cost bandwidth, although its capability to
support low latency and high-throughput services plays an important role.

Secondly, a global Internet is only possible with a transparent integration
of an *Internet of Space* with the current Internet, while supporting
multi-tenants, multi-systems in different orbits and altitudes, as well as
multiple markets. Such an integration requires rethinking the Internet
architecture in order to extend its operation to all systems above the
Earth’s surface, which requires the integration of heterogeneous
communication devices and protocols. Such a unifying networking framework
will have a truly global reach, allowing the connection between information
producers and consumers in any corner of Earth and Space. Last but not
least, the seamless integration of an *Internet of Space* with the current
Internet will lead to a global empowerment, providing information access to
everyone who may need it to sustain enriched human life, while mitigating
some of the major limitations of a network infrastructure that is built on
Earth’s surface, which is subjected not only to geographic limits but also
to political limits.

>From a technical perspective this Special Section is focused on the design
and performance evaluation of networking architectures and protocols for
the Internet of Space, as well as on a more unified design that best deals
with the networking challenges to be faced.

The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   - *Network architectures*, able to support multi-tenants, multi-systems
   in different orbits and altitudes, as well as multiple markets, while being
   transparently integrated in the current Internet architecture. Such new,
   unifying, network architecture may require the exploitation of paradigms
   such as *Delay Tolerant Networking (DTN)*, and *Information Centric
   Networking (ICN).*
   - *Network virtualization*, leveraging well-known technologies such
as *Software
   Defined Networking (SDN)* and *Network Function Virtualization (NFV),*
   as well as their integration with the emerging concept of *Multi-Access
   Edge Computing (MEC)*, allowing the virtualization of networking,
   storage and computing fabrics at the edge, required for the offloading of
   tasks that have latency constraints from the core to the edge.
   - *Decentralized Internet Infrastructure*, allowing a scalable
   Internetworking between computing processes and service hosted at the
   network edge (including flying platforms and spaceborne platforms, such as
   smart satellite constellations), leading to an end-to-end latency reduction
   due to user proximity, as well as a reduction of network traffic through
   traffic localization and device-to-device communications.
   - *Network management,* such as support for the global orchestration of
   network functions on board  spaceborne platforms (e.g., satellites) to best
   support data processing and aggregation; seamless interoperation of mobile
   Edge infrastructure and devices; resilience and seamless adaptation based
   on the capability to anticipate the behavior of services on a global scale.
   - *Cognitive networking*, in which programmable spaceborne networks
   allow networked devices to perform customized computation, including the
   usage of Artificial Intelligence. Such cognitive functions will be
   exploited to develop more intelligent, adaptive networks, able to perceive
   network conditions, decide upon those conditions, and learn from the
   consequences of its actions.
   - *Networking protocols*, including support for inter-satellite
   communications, and satellite to ground communications, *Quality of
   Service (QoS) and Quality of Experience (QoE)*, integrated security, and
   mobility, and their integration with existing protocols such as IP routing
   (e.g. segment routing), transport protocols from the *Transmission
   Control Protocol (TCP)* and *User Datagram Protocol (UDP)* to *Quick UDP
   Internet Connections* (*QUIC*), and application protocols such as *Domain
   Name Service (DNS)*.
   - *Wireless technologies*, including not only the usage of radio
   frequency systems but also free space optical systems, and a combination of
   both.
   - *Network measurement & performance*, to assist in understanding and
   exposing the performance of spaceborne networking resources,
   infrastructure, and available communication protocols in a variety of
   ground-to-space, inter-satellite communication scenarios.
   - *Privacy, security and trustworthiness*, assuming end-to-end scenarios
   involving satellites with computational and storage capabilities, and
   covering aspects such as data security, decentralized trust architectures.
   - *Impact on Internet services*, such as advanced IoT services (e.g.,
   Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality in manufacturing or farming) served by
   spaceborne platforms and spaceborne communications; real-time IoT
   applications (e.g., critical monitoring of public infrastructures);
   awareness services (e.g., public safety services).
   - *Impact on data management aspects,* including the support of the next
   generation of Edge computing in space, as well as a fast cooperation
   between a large set of Edge-based producers of data.

We also highly recommend the submission of multimedia with each article as
it significantly increases the visibility and downloads of articles.

*Associate Editor: *Rute C. Sofia, fortiss GmbH, Germany

*Guest Editors:*

   1. Paulo Mendes, Airbus, Germany
      2. Vassilis Tsaoussidis, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
      3. Tomaso de Cola, DLR, Germany
      4. Scott Burleigh, California Institute of Technology, USA
      5. Mianxiong Dong, Muroran Institute of Technology, Japan
      6. Eduardo Cerqueira, University Federal of Pará, Brazil

————————————————————————

*Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt* (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Communications and Navigation | Satellite Networks |
Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany

*Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D.*
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 | [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san

_______________________________________________
icnrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg