Subject: [EToSat] 2nd QUIC and Satellite Open Stakeholder Meeting

From: Tom Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 14:33:28 +0000

Hello ETOSat,

https://ti.to/uoaerg/2nd-quic-and-satellite-open-stakeholder-meeting

The Artes Mtails project is hosting a second QUIC and satellite open
stakeholder meeting on the 2nd of December 2021.

We held one of these meetings this year and found it to be a great
vehicle for conversations about QUIC and Satellite.

Registration is free at the link above and I have included the program
below

- Thanks Tom

Program:

The 2nd QUIC and Satellite Open Stakeholder Meeting will examine
performance when using an Internet path that includes a satellite
communication (SATCOM) network.

**13:30 – 16:00 CET, Thursday 2nd December 2021, On-Line, via Webex**

IETF QUIC is defined in RFC9000 and related RFCs. It provides an
extensible transport, improving performance for web and other traffic
and adding support for connection migration. In contrast to TCP, QUIC
encrypts and authenticates all header fields, providing enhanced privacy
and security. QUIC’s design prevents existing methods to enhance
satellite network performance - such as PEPs, Compression, DPI for QoS,
and other cross-layer enhancements, but also provides opportunities to
influence the specifications and QUIC extensions, which if widely
supported, could offer significant benefit to satellite services. People
attending the meeting are invited to discuss performance over satellite
systems, what is needed by the satellite communications sector, how
people can collaborate on research, and what steps might be taken to
increase stakeholder engagement in the design and use of QUIC over
satellite services.

*This will be an open meeting organised by the ESA MTAILS project
([https://artes.esa.int/projects/mtails](https://artes.esa.int/projects/mtails)).
All participants will have to register on-line before they can join the
webex meeting, details will be provided once the programme has been
confirmed.*

# Topics of Interest

* Experience with IETF QUIC using Broadband Satellite
* New Transport Mechanisms for QUIC over Satellite
* Network-Layer Techniques for Encrypted Traffic (QoS, ECN, AQM)
* Analysis of Concatenated Transport Paths (e.g. QUIC with Satcom and
* WiFi or Cellular)
* Operating and Managing Encrypted Satellite Services

# Program

## Introduction/coordination - Gorry Fairhurst (5 minutes)

Meeting Organisation and Note Well

## Part 1: QUIC Implementation and Performance

### (1.1) Evolution QUIC and Satellite over the Last 3 Years

**Gorry Fairhurst, Tom Jones, Ana Custura**

This presentation will trace the evolution of the IETF QUIC
specifications and work in progress within the IETF, focussing on
operation over a GEO satellite system It will identify key mechanisms
impacted by the characteristics of satellite systems and review of
current QUIC implementations.
(15 minutes talks + 5 mins Q&A)

### (1.2) Protocols, QUIC, and SATCOM

**Joerg Deutschmann**

This presentation will present experience on using a QUIC Interop
running with satellite links; and measurement of the performance of web
protocols.
(15 minutes talks + 5 mins Q&A)

### (1.3) Performance implications of interoperability

**Nicolas Kuhn**

This presentation will present experience when different combinations of
QUIC servers and clients are considered. Looking at the file transfer
time, this shows the importance of considering the acknowledgment
strategy.
(10 minute rapid talk *including* Q&A)

Break: 10 minutes

## Part 2: Mechanisms to Enhance QUIC Performance

### (2.1) Application-Layer QoS Metrics To Aid Network Performance
Monitoring and Diagnostics For Encrypted Traffic

**Chi-Jiun Su**

Most network statistics do not capture the impact of network conditions
on user's applications and their quality of experience (QoE). Active
measurements can help, but their results may not accurately reflect the
QoE at end users. In this work, a low complexity non-intrusive method is
proposed to estimate application-layer Quality of Service (QoS) metrics
experienced by end-users. The method passively and continuously
monitors user's traffic from a vantage point within the ISP network to
capture the network conditions experienced by end user’s devices or
internet applications. This approach is designed for encrypted traffic.
(15 minutes talks + 5 mins Q&A)

### (2.2) Sliding Window FEC (SWF) over Satellite Networks

**Matthieu Petrou**

This presentation investigates the benefit to protect transport flows
with a Sliding Window FEC (SWF) over satellite networks. We focus on
QUIC protocol (picoquic version) and TCP in a SATCOM context with
OpenSAND emulator. Considering several losses pattern scenarios,
results show that CUBIC substantially gains from SWF protection compared
to picoquic/BBR. We conclude that the use of SWF should not be only
considered following the network loss characteristics, but also
conjointly with the congestion control variant.
(15 minutes talks + 5 mins Q&A)

### (2.3) Can QUIC Proxies Help Satellite Performance?

**Joerg Deutschmann**

This talk introduces the new QUICSAT project and ideas for using Proxies
with QUIC in a satellite context.
(10 minute rapid talk *including* Q&A)

### (2.4) Transport parameters for 0-RTT connections

**N. Kuhn, E. Stephan, G. Fairhurst, T. Jones, C. Huitema**

When clients resume a session to download a large object, the congestion
control algorithms will require time to ramp-up the packet rate as a
sequence of Round-Trip Time (RTT)-based increases. This presentation
will describe plans for a method that can improve traffic delivery by
allowing a QUIC connection to avoid a the slow process to discover key
path parameters including a way to more rapidly grow the congestion
window when used over paths with a larger bandwidth delay product.
(10 minute rapid talk *including* Q&A)

## Part 3: Questions and Observations about QUIC over Satellite

Open Mic -All workshop attendees.
(20 minutes)

Final Remarks

# Note Well

This meeting is expected to coordinate contributions that may be made to
the Internet Engineering Task Force and Internet Research Task Force.
The following note-well will therefore apply to all contributions at
this meeting: https://irtf.org/policies/irtf-note-well-2019-11.pdf.