Subject: [Extra] imap4rev2 route

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 23:53:05 +0200

> addr-adl        = nstring
>                     ; Holds route from [RFC-5322] route-addr if
>                     ; non-NIL

RFC 5322 doesn't have "route-addr". It has "obs-route". Should we in general make it a bit more obvious that the route is completely obsolete and neither server nor clients need to support this field? I was thinking of getting rid of it in Dovecot and just making it always NIL.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 13:39:07 +0000

Hi Timo,

On 10/12/2019 21:53, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> RFC 5322 doesn't have "route-addr". It has "obs-route".
Good catch!
> Should we in general make it a bit more obvious that the route is completely obsolete and neither server nor clients need to support this field? I was thinking of getting rid of it in Dovecot and just making it always NIL.

I think the answer to this is whether or not you want to preserve 
fidelity of very old messages. I agree there is no reason to generate 
source route, but I am not sure that IMAP4rev2 is the right place to 
deprecate its use.

Best Regards,

Alexey

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 15:43:21 +0100

On Wednesday 11 December 2019 14:39:07 CET, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> I think the answer to this is whether or not you want to 
> preserve fidelity of very old messages. I agree there is no 
> reason to generate source route, but I am not sure that 
> IMAP4rev2 is the right place to deprecate its use.

I assume that "use" means "display" in this paragraph? Timo isn't 
suggesting to forbid anyone from sending source routes, he's effectively 
suggesting that IMAP4rev2 suppress their display.

Does anyone on the list have a largish collection of clients and a 
convenient way to test? I suspect that a majority of recent clients already 
do suppress the source routes. If that is correct, then suppressing them in 
the protocol has advantages and no real cost.

Arnt