Subject: RE Ifax Nomencalture

From: Ken Camarro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:23:25 -0400

Dear Ietf-fax:

Whilst I have not followed the entire string, when naming something it's
crucial to call something by exactly what it is and then work backward
regarding acronyms and abbreviated symbols.  And hope it translates and is
not an expletive in Hebrew or Chinese or any other language.

Trademarks are generally case sensitive, punctuation sensitive and style
sensitive.  Thus the style of the type used in IBM or MICROSOFT (the latter
of which is essentially Italicized Helvetica) are important.  Note that
Everex's EFax has a capital "F" to denote distinct appearance and style.
Thus efax and Efax may be available.  Also e-fax and E-fax may be
available.  If someone trademarks the name FaxCloth the capital C and one
word appearance distinguish it from fax cloth which cannot be trademarked
in that form since they are two basic words. I am not a lawyer but this is
my general understanding.  Also one can reuse certain distinctive names if
the same expression or sound (not an identical style and appearance) are
used in different industries.  

It seems to me that "email fax" is quite specific and efax or e-fax state
this.  Also email-fax or emailfax.  In the early proceedings of ietf-fax we
tended to use efax or e-fax before the IP stuff got going and required new
distinctions.

"Internet Protocol Fax" is also neat and ipfax, IPfax, or ifax accomplish
this.  It's not necessary to add a hyphen after the e or i to denote email,
efax or ipfax but it could be either email or e-mail, efax or e-fax, and
ipfax or ip-fax or IP-fax.  When one is creating a name you can do what
ever you want.  Since we are creating a generic name, it's not necessary to
do the Everex "EFax."

Bouncing off of Krish Chinnaswamy's Efx and Ifx, we have efx, efax, or
emfax and ifx, ipfx and IPfax.

Overall, I like efax or emailfax and IPfax.  The capitalized appearance
would be Efax, Emailfax, and IPfax.

Thus the user will be able to make the leap: email to efax, emailfax, or
IPfax.

At any rate, the non-trademarked names appearing in this email, which are
generic names, are now in the public domain.

Best regards,

Ken Camarro

Camarro Research

Marketing, Product Development, 
Market Research, and User Application Consulting

580 Commerce DR
Fairfield, CT 06432-5513
Tel 203-336-4566
Fax 203-331-0470
email [email-masked]

Residence: 

345 Carroll Road
Fairfield, CT 06430
Tel 203-254-1755