Subject: Chair: WG Last Call for "Eifax"

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:59:58 -0400

Folks,  

At the Chicago meeting, we reviewed details on proposed edits to the
"Eifax" draft and reached consensus on proposed changes.   The changes were
based on mailing list discusssions before the meeting and discussions at
the meeting.  The meeting minutes which noted these proposed changes have
since been reviewed and published on the mailing list.    

It was agreed at that meeting that "Eifax" was one of the core documents
for extended Internet fax which should be sent forward for a WG Last Call
once updated.   

An updated draft has now been posted.   This note will serve as the working
group Last Call notice.   

This document has been reviewed in great detail during the past six months.
  The latest version has been streamlined to remove less stable content and
focuses upon creating an extended mode of Internet Fax by building upon RFC
2305 and adding important functions in the areas of :  1) Delivery
confirmation  and 2)  Additional document capabilities.    The document now
seems generally stable and reflects a consensus of the working group on
these matters.   

There are related documents which are also in process within and outside
the WG.  These documents are included by reference in the "eifax" draft.
The likelihood that these references will become stable in the next 1-2
months should be considered carefully in the review of this draft.    

This document is being targeted for submission to the IESG as a Proposed
Standard.   It is also anticipated that the latest version of this document
will be submitted as an ISOC contribution  for review by the ITU-T Study
Group 8, Question 4 in early November, for potential incorporation by
reference within an amendment to the ITU-T T.37 recommendation.   

The details on the document are:   

>Title		: Extended Facsimile Using Internet Mail
>	Author(s)	: L. Masinter, D. Wing
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt
>	Pages		: 9
>	Date		: 21-Sep-98
>	
>   This document describes extensions to 'Simple Mode of Facsimile Using
>   Internet Mail' [RFC2305] to provide additional features, including
>   transmission of enhanced document characteristics (higher resolution,
>   color) and confirmation of delivery and processing.
>   These additional features are designed to provide the highest level
>   of interoperability with the existing and future standards-compliant
>   email infrastructure and mail user agents, while providing a level of
>   service that approximates the level currently enjoyed by fax users.

To retrieve the document:

>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt

In order to get a final review of the document, we will have a two week
Working Group Last Call, prior to submission of the final version to our
ADs and the secretariat.    

The deadline for comments is Oct 7, 1998, at 18:00 EDT.   

It is possible that we will have additional iterations of this document during
the WG last call period if needed.   

Please send all comments to the ietf-fax mailing list.   

Regards, 

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet Fax working group 
*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------