Subject: RE: comments on draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt (resend)

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 9:04:18 -0700

>I have some comments on draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt.
>
>(1)Section 2.1
>The Note should be deleted because the sender must request a DSN 
>as written in section 2.1.1.
>
>"Note that a DSN or delivery failure message may be sent to the
>   envelope-from address even if the sender doesn't request a DSN."

But a delivery failure (bounce) message can (in fact, must) always
be generated without the sender requesting any form of DSN.

For example, sending a message to [email-masked] will cause a 
delivery failure message (in the form of a DSN) to be generated 
because the mailbox [email-masked] doesn't exist.

Would more specific wording for the Note, such as this be alright:

  Note that a delivery failure message (which may be in the format
  of a DSN) may be sent to the envelope-from address even if the
  sender did not request a DSN.

What I am trying to clearly describe is the case where a message, once 
transmitted, may, at any point along the way, encounter a failure 
which will cause a 'bounce' to come back, and the envelope-from 
address MUST do something with that bounce (print it, forward it to a 
human, etc.).

>(2)Missing section 2.2.2
>The section 2.2.3 should be 2.2.2.

Thanks.  Corrected.

>(3)Section 5.2
>I could not found the status code of 5.6 --???????-- in RFC1893.
>Is this new status code?

Yes.  At the fax WG meeting in Chicago, Ned Freed suggested a new
status code be defined for this case.  We have not coordinated
with the author of RFC1893 or Ned on the best method to add another
status code.

>(4)Reference
>Reference should have RFC1893.

Thanks.  Corrected.

-Dan Wing

---

From: MAEDA toru <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:55:31 +0900

Wing-san

> address MUST do something with that bounce (print it, forward it to a 

"the sender MUST request a DSN"

There is no sender which does not request a DSN.
The part of the statement "even if the sender did not request a DSN" is no
meaning.

Are the senders in these statements identical?

Toru MAEDA
CANON Inc.

----------------------------
キヤノン株式会社
映像事務機システム推進プロジェクト
映像事務機３５設計部
前田 徹
郵便番号１４６
東京都大田区下丸子３−３０−２
電話   ０３−３７５７−９７３８
ＦＡＸ ０３−３７５７−８２０５
E-mail [email-masked]
----------------------------