Subject: Re2: draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-01.txt

From: "John Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:12:11 -0700

Sorry to jump into the middle of this thread-I'm responding without the
context of earlier communications.

I don't have a syntax solution but suspect that this facility (per page rate
reporting) could be important.

In the case of fax machine delivery through a network fax intermediary
service, the transmission rate per page will correlate to end user charges
from the network fax services provider.

Many countries charge in excess of $1.00/minute and some fax delivery
services charge per-minute, not per-page.  A one-minute $1 page at 14.4 can
be more than $2 if the destination or far-end network delivery fax trains
down to 7200 or less (the re-training also is connection-time consuming).
The transmission rate per page should be communicated to the paying end user
(originator) and fax delivery intermediary for this reason.  If the fax
network intermediary has sub-optimal fax boards or consistently bad
trunking, per-page notification can become a flag to improve their
equipment.

-John Huggins

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 5:22 PM
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-01.txt

>>> >      xmit-pages     = 1*DIGIT
>>> >      media-feature-tags = *text <per [MEDIA-FEATURES] with LWS
>>> wrapping>
>>> >      bit-rate       = "110" / "300" / "1200" / "2400" / "4800" /
>>> "9600" /
>>> >                       "14400" / "28800"
>>>
>> [McIntyre, Lloyd]  What is the purpose of listing these data
>>rates? Is it: a) to reflect upper data rates for various modems or b) to
>>reflect all the possible data rates that may be used by fax modems?
>
>To indicate the rate used by the modem *for this transmission*.
>
>As has been pointed out on this list, though, the rate can be
>renegotiated per-page and the syntax doesn't provide a mechanism
>to indicate that occurred.
>
>Unless someone proposes a mechanism to show this per-page, I'm
>going to drop it entirely - I simply don't see it as being
>important information for an end user.
>
>-Dan Wing
>

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:47:57 +0100

At 18:12 10/09/98 -0700, John Huggins wrote:

[...]
>reporting) could be important.

I think there are two separate issues to consider here:
(1) is per-page reporting important?
(2) is transmission data rate reporting important?

My (tentative) opinions are:

(1) Maybe -- John makes a valid point but I can't judge how much weight it
should carry.

(2) No.  I think with ECM and a degree of flexibility (albeit limited) in
T.30 timers, the transmission rate is only a small part of the performance
story.  Thus, I'd suggest a higher-level of reporting along the lines of
per-page data volume and time-to-transmit (if per-page reporting is
supported at all).

#g

[...]
>>important information for an end user.
------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])