Subject: Chair: WG Last Call for "Goals"

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:46:31 -0400

Folks,  

At the Chicago meeting, we brought up the topic of the disposition of 
the "Goals" document and there was agreement it should be sent forward for
a WG Last Call.  

This document was been reviewed in great detail earlier this year and
appears to be generally stable.   The author, Larry Masinter, released an
updated version of the document after the Chicago meeting which has only
minor changes since the prior release.   This document is being targeted
for submission to the IESG as an informational RFC.   

This document is currently referenced in the -eifax draft, so this is an
additional reason to confirm that we have a stable version ASAP.  

The details on the document are:   

>Title		: Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax
>	Author(s)	: L. Masinter
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-goals-03.txt
>	Pages		: 13
>	Date		: 01-Sep-98

To retrieve the document:

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-goals-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-goals-03.txt

In order to get a final review of the document, we will have a two week
Working Group Last Call, prior to submission of the final version to our
ADs and the secretariat.    

The deadline for comments is Sept 30, 1998, at 18:00 EDT.   

It is possible that we will have additional iterations of this document during
the WG last call period if needed.   

Please send all comments to the ietf-fax mailing list.   

Regards, 

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet Fax working group
*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Herman R. Silbiger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:20:53 -0400

In addition to James' comments I have a few comments.

1)  In Section 1.1, item 5a) negotiation,  is defined as:

    5a) negotiation: the capabilities of the sender and recipient
         are exchanged, and suitable mutually acceptable parameters
         for the communication are selected.

This is not altogether a correct representation of the actions involved.
I suggest
the following rewording:

    5a) negotiation: the capabilities of the recipient are obtained,
          and suitable mutually available parameters
         for the communication are selected

2)  Throughout the document, for consistency, replace PSTN with GSTN
except where the terms are defined.

3) In 2.4.2, the term "IFax" is introduced.  In ITU-T Rec. F.185 Sec.
3.1.6 this
type of fax terminal is called an Internet Aware Facsimile terminal
(IAF).  I
would prefer the use of IAF for consistency. IAF is also used in Rec.
T.38.  I
have also heard that "IFax" has been trademarked.

4) The document should contain references to appropriate other existing
standards
such as T.37, T.38 and RFC-2305, for example in Section 2.5.

Herman R. Silbiger
Rapporteur ITU-T SG8 Q.4,
Internet facsimile