Subject: AAA BOF and Internet fax

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:13:09 +0100

At 12:30 17/09/98 -0400, James  Rafferty wrote:
[...]
>While at the IETF, I sat in for while in a BOF on access, authorization and
>authentication .   This activity may be relevant for our WG later on when
>we take a closer look at offramp issues, especially considering matters of
>who is authorized to use an offramp that will in GSTN phone charges. 

I, too, attended some of this BOF and have been distantly following its
mailing list.

My concern is that although the BOF name implies generic access
authorization and authentication (AAA), the vast majority of the thinking
is related to AAA of *network services* rather than applications and
application services.  The only posting I have perceived to suggest
otherwise is one from Chris Newman, and while nobody actually challenged
that aspect of his posting he does seem to me to be a relatively lone voice.

James, I am not arguing against the premise of your posting.  It's just
that I think that one step of the approach is that we need to be clear
whether or not this BOF is really addressing the needs of fax.

Fred, I've copied you (as AAA chair) on this because if I'm wrong there may
be an incorrect perception that could usefully be corrected.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:43:52 -0700

We have had as open a discussion of AAA as I know how to create, and if
there is something not being represented, then I think its proponents need
to get in and represent it.