Subject: Coexistence of IPP and I-Fax

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:53:45 PDT

All,

In the IPP WG meeting in IETF42 several attendants expressed interest in
doing some work in this area.

In particular one gentleman from the IFax WG offered to become the editor
for an informational document on this subject.

Unfortunately I never got his name and email address written down. Need to
get in contact with him to get this moving.

I expect that information on this subject will be of interest to both the
IPP and IFax DLs. We need to start with an outline and then fill in the
details, evaluating in the process if we need to add anything in either
standards to improve interworking between the two. 

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:31:52 -0500

>standards to improve interworking between the two. 

Well Carl .. I think one of them was me.  

I have been working on a memorandum outlining both some of the system
functional as well as protocol attribute mappings that would facilitate
interworkings between IPP and EFax [ use the new term?] .

It is clear so far that there will be two documents involved. First a
general outline of the aspects of IPP vs EFax with a distinct slant toward
the marketing aspects of this concept and the second a detailed mapping of
the protocol attributes of each service that could be published as a
Informational RFC.

I've been waiting for some comments from some folks on my Memorandum before
I sent it out to both lists but it seems that the timing is appropriate to
expand my list of commenters.

If any one would like to see what I have done at this point and they are
prepared to offer comments, suggestions and flames .. email me privately
and I will forward the .doc file along for review.

As for the detailed RFC protocol mapping document I think there will need
to be some editors that have a much more detailed knowledge of the IPP
aspects of this.  Such a document would look very much like the LPD to IPP
mapping document the IPP WG produced. [draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-04.txt] 

I'd like to get this out to the lists early next week so send your requests
in ASAP.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<