Subject: RE: draft-ietf-fax-smtp-session-04.txt

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:27:36 -0700

>>3.2.1.  Excessive Delays with Multiple MTAs
>>
>>   The cumulative delays of going through many MTAs will cause Session
>>   delivery to fail (by falling back to normal store-and-forward).
>
>Why?  What timeout is being contemplated here?

The command timeouts (5 minutes) specified in RFC1123.  For example,
if you issue a RCPT command, you need to get your response in less
than 5 minutes, but it could take Quite Awhile for the next-hop mailer
to issue its response because its next-hop mailer takes Quite Awhile
to issue its response, etc....

This is akin to busy HTTP Proxy servers in series.

>>      stat-response  = *( "250-" [cmd-status SP] resp-line CR LF )
>>                          "250 " [cmd-status SP] resp-line CR LF
>..............................................<>
>Should these be SP or LWSP ?  (Also below.)

"cmd-status SP" is from RFC2304, and one or multiple spaces are
permitted.  I can change it to "1*SP", but not LWSP.  LWSP would
allow something like this (with a newline after 2.3.0):

  250-2.3.0\r\n
    <[email-masked]> delivered status=2.5.0

Other comments integrated.

Thanks,
-Dan Wing