Subject: RE: draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-01.txt

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:45:15 -0700

>[...]
>>      media-feature-tags = *text     ;per [MEDIA-FEATURES] with
>>                                     ;LWSP wrapping [RFC2234]
>
>From your -01 draft:
>>   [MEDIA-FEATURES] L. Masinter, K. Holtman, D. Wing, "Media Features
>>   for Display, Print, and Fax", Internet Draft, Work in Progress,
>>   draft-masinter-media-features-XX.txt.
>
>Would this usefully be a reference to the (yet-to-be-published) fax
>capability schema document, or the 'conneg' algebra/syntax draft?  I don't
>think there's enough syntax in the above-cited draft for this purpose.
>Also, examination of the T.30 spec shows that regular fax machines exhibit
>some quite subtle interactions that cannot be accurately captured by a
>simple list of features.

The media features shouldn't be fax only.  The 
draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-03.txt document (unpublished) is 
being modified to remove most of the fax-specific aspects of it so it
can be useful for both SMTP->IPP gatewaying (and notifications) as
well as to SMTP->GSTN-fax.

Perhaps, as IPP doesn't define any CONNEG-style features, we'll have
to just leave the reference to the (unpublished) 
draft-ietf-fax-schema document, though....

Thanks,
-Dan Wing