Subject: Re: IPP> IPP 2 IFAX Integration Time and Date Stamp

From: "Nick Webb"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:16:04 -0700

>"Identification Required on Fax Messages"
>
>The FCC's rules require that any message sent to a fax machine must
>clearly mark on the first page or on each page of the message:
>
>?    the date and time the transmission is sent;
>?   the identity of the sender; and
>?   the telephone number of the sender or of the sending fax machine.

From the way I read this, there is an alternative to having a real-time
clock in each fax machine. The rule is that the required time stamp is the
date and time the transmission is *sent* (not received) so this implies the
sender could pass a time stamp with the job rather than the printer
generating one. If the sender is usually a PC then this would be simple as
all PCs have real time clocks. If the required water mark information could
be covered by a usual banner page then why have a real time clock?

One possibility for time of day acquisition in a printer is "network time"
(RFC 867/868 - may be amended by now), however I have no idea how
ubiquitous this is.
Nick Webb
Auco, Inc.
(650) 569 4421
http://www.auco.com

---

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 18:36:43 -0700

> (RFC 867/868 - may be amended by now), however I have no idea how

It's pretty ubiqitous, supported by every Unix implementation I'm aware
of, Cisco routers, and available for WinNT.  I'm sure other router
vendors implement NTP in their routers as well.

An end-node, such as a printer, need only implement SNTP.  SNTP is
basically the 'client' end of NTP and is a simplier implementation.  On
another project I'm working on I found a reference to sources for SNTP
in Stevens' book "Unix Network Programming", and there's code on the net
for this, too.

DAYTIME could be used, too (RFC868) and is even lighter weight than
SNTP.

-Dan Wing