Subject: [FAX] CHAIR: Impending Document Deadlines

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:40:01 -0400

Folks, 

We have been working pretty hard over the last few weeks to finish
-eifax and its referenced documents.    We have made good progess, 
but some work remains and some final deadlines are fast approaching.    

As a reminder, our current plan is to try to finish these documents in our
WG and, while they are on IETF Last Call, review them as well with the ITU
Question 4 group of Study Group 8.    I just re-checked the document 
submission deadlines for that ITU rapporteur meeting and found they are
coming fast:   Friday, October 23 (by 15:00 in England).   .   

So, we need to finish the package of documents to be submitted QUICKLY.       

Here's a quick review of where we are in the process:   

Eifax draft - this is the key draft for the extended mode.   We have just
gone through a WG Last Call during the past 2 weeks.   The authors are
still working on resolving the open items which have been noted and we
should see a new version soon.  However, there are still some ripples being
felt in this draft based on the ongoing work of referenced drafts.   It is
my hope that the next version is the last one (based on the progress we
have made so far)
and then we send it to the IESG for IETF Last Call.     

Referenced Drafts:   

draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt - This draft has successfully passed WG Last
Call and is ready to be sent to the IESG as an Informational RFC.  

draft-ietf-reporting-extensions-03.txt - This draft has just been released
in its updated form which does not include the offramp related extensions
(those extensions are being deferred until we work on a related offramp
draft).  I plan to send this out for WG Last Call shortly.    
draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-00 - This is a new draft.   It is very
important because 
it provides a critical set of definitions for the feature tags that are
needed for capabilities identification in the extended mode.   This draft
uses the CONNEG syntax and registration method, but focuses on those
capabilities that we will 
need for the current work on extended Internet fax.    It does not address the
mechanisms by which capabilities identification will take place.   Comments
and contributions of examples are needed!!!!!    

** So far, this document has had quite a few private comments, mainly to
get the **   initial draft off of the ground, but no public comments (yet).
  Please take the 
**   time to review this draft ASAP and make your comments.   

The authors would also strongly welcome contributed material on the
examples at the end of the document.   We have made good progress on the
other documents related to -eifax, but this document, in stable form, will
fill in an essential missing component.

Given the deadlines ahead (especially for the ITU),  I would like to send
the next version of this draft out to WG Last Call by early next week or
sooner.   In the event that this document is not in final form by the ITU
deadline, my plan would be to send in the document in its current form to
the ITU (as of Thurs Oct 22) and then keep working on it within the WG
until we believe it is done.    

A few words about the ITU and IETF processes:    

Our key milestones in the IETF will be to: 

1) Complete the documents in our WG (via a WG Last Call)
2)  Submit the documents for IESG review and IETF Last Call ;
simultaneously, the documents will undergo review in the ITU (see below)
3)  Respond to IESG and/or ITU comments as needed, updating drafts.
3)  Upon IESG approval, get RFC numbers assigned (followed 
eventually by the published documents themselves)

The key ITU milestones, if these documents are to be referenced within 
an amendment to the T.37 recommendation are:  

1)  Submit documents in latest (ideally final) form to ITU Q4 meeting from
ISOC
2)   Review documents in Q4 meeting and collect comments if any
  (Feed back comments to the authors) ;  Produce editor's version of T.37
amendment 1 with references to IETF documents as applicable
3)  Once final versions of IETF drafts are approved, submit RFC numbers to 
ITU Q4 rapporteur, for forwarding to the editor, for inclusion in "white
contribution"
version of Amendment 1 to T.37.    
4)  White contribution for T.37completed.  It is circulated in a letter
ballot to 
ITU member countries.   
5)  Final RFCs submitted as white contributions to ITU.   
6)  Final editing and approval at ITU April 1999 meeting.  

For now, our main focus in the WG should be on making final comments for
this set of documents and then we will follow the normal IETF and ITU
processes.   

Thanks in advance for your help.  

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet Fax WG

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Claudio Allocchio +39 040 3758523 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:39:16 +0100

> [...]
> Is draft-ietf-fax-fulladdr-04.txt going to be moved forward as well,
> or is this document going to lag?

Up to now I did not received any further request for updates to 
draft-ietf-fax-fulladdr-04.txt nor from ietf-fax nor from EMA 
WGs. This might suggest it is in a stable format now.

James, do you think we could go for final call?

Claudio

---

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:31:50 -0400

Folks, 

This is an update to the earlier note on impending document submission
deadlines 
for the ITU meeting scheduled for the first week of November.   

The deadline for submission is now Thurs, Oct. 22.   

My plan is to submit the -eifax draft on Extended Internet Fax, along with
referenced documents, as ISOC contributions to the ITU-T Question 4
meeting.    Some of the referenced documents are from the Content
Negotiations work group; they are needed as background for the fax feature
schema work.   

The list of documents I plan to submit is:  

draft-fax-ietf-eifax-07.txt
draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-03.txt
draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt
draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-01.txt   
draft-ietf-fax-feature-t30-mapping-00.txt
draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt
draft-ietf-conneg-syntax-00.txt
draft-ietf-conneg-media-features-02.txt

If there are any questions, please let me know.   

Regards, 

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet fax

>but some work remains and some final deadlines are fast approaching.    
....