Subject: [Fax]IETF Fax working group: Request for IESG Consideration

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:11:54 -0500

The IETF Fax working group hereby requests IESG approval for publication of
the following document, with the specified status.  

The working group has been working a a suite of extended Internet fax
documents for about six months.   This document which describes
"Terminology and Goals" is referenced by that suite, but was  actually
mostly developed during the earlier discussions that resulted in the
"simple mode" of Internet fax as defined in RFCs 2301-2305.   We envision
this as an informative but useful document, since it defines terminology
which is used in other Internet fax documents and has provided an outline
of directions that have helped to guide the work of the Internet fax
working group.   

We have reached strong consensus in the working group on the content of 
this document.   It was also reviewed by the ITU Internet fax Question 4 of
Study Group 8 in an earlier version and some adjustments were made to
provide better alignment with ITU-T F.185, which is an ITU-T guidelines
document for Internet fax.  

The ITU is having an important, interim meeting next week (2-6 November).
The working group chair and other ISOC/IETF representatives will be
attending  and will be presenting various working group documents for
consideration by the ITU, including this document.

DOCUMENT:

          Goals and Terminology for Internet Fax

          draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt

Status:   Informational

Technical Summary:

Facsimile (Fax) has a long tradition as a telephony application for
sending a document from one terminal device to another.

Many mechanisms for sending fax documents over the Internet have been
demonstrated and deployed and are currently in use. The general
application of using the Internet for facsimile is called "Internet
Fax".

This document defines a number of terms useful for the discussion of
Internet Fax. In addition, it describes the goals of the Internet Fax
working group and establishes a baseline of desired functionality
against which protocols for Internet Fax can be judged. It encompasses
the goals for all modes of facsimile delivery, including 'real-time',
'session', and 'store and forward'.  Different levels of desirability
are indicated throughout the document.

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------