Subject: Chair: [FAX] WG Last Call for "Reporting-Extensions" and "Fax-Feature-Schema"

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:17:24 -0400

Folks,  

We have been in a WG Last Call for the -eifax draft, which has continued to
undergo revisions to reflect use of references.   

There are two documents referenced within -eifax which will need to be
complete and stable for -eifax to progress.   The two documents both
pertain to adding a capabilities identification facility for use within
extended Internet fax.   

First, the "Reporting-Extensions" document makes use of the existing DSN
and MDN facilities within Internet email, but adds reporting extensions to
permit reports on the capabilities of a recipient.   Within -eifax, this is
the only automated method which appears to be a near term solution to the
issue of having a method to find which extended fax capabilities are
supported by a potential recipient.   This approach has undergone extensive
review in this work group and has also had some more general review within
the email community.   In the future, the approach specified here is likely
to be supplemented by more sophisticated approaches to be developed by the
pending MailCap working group.   

Second, the "Fax-feature-schema" draft uses the framework developed by the
Content Negotiations working group and defines the set of feature tags to
be used for the extended mode of Internet Fax.   This document has been
based on two months of hard work by numerous participants.   It is not yet
complete, needing some additional content for examples, but is progressing
well.   It will benefit from additional review and comments during the WG
Last Call period.  

The two documents are now approaching stability and will benefit greatly
from a final round of review and comments, so that -eifax AND all of its
referenced documents from within this work group can move forward together.
  The two documents are both being targeted as "proposed standards".
These documents are also due to be reviewed by the ITU-T Question 4 of
Study Group 8.   

This note will serve as the working group Last Call notice for the two
documents.   

The details on the documents are:   

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Indicating Supported Media Features Using Extensions 
>                          to DSN and MDN
>	Author(s)	: D. Wing
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-03.txt
>	Pages		: 4
>	Date		: 13-Oct-98
>	
>   A device, unlike a workstation, is not generally extensible by
>   installing a new reader, plugin, or other software.  There is a need
>   in Internet mail for a recipient to indicate the media features it
>   supports so that messages can be generated by senders without
>   exceeding the recipient's abilities.
>   This memo describes a format for generating Message Disposition
>   Notifications [RFC2298] and Delivery Status Notifications [RFC1894]
>   which contain such information.  This information can be used by
>   senders to avoid exceeding the recipient's capabilities when sending
>   subsequent messages.
>
To retrieve:  

>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-03.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-03.txt

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Content feature schema for Internet fax
>	Author(s)	: G. Klyne, L. McIntyre
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-01.txt
>	Pages		: 15
>	Date		: 19-Oct-98
>	
>  This document defines a content feature schema that is a profile of
>  the media feature registration mechanisms [1,2,3] for use in
>  performing capability identification between extended Internet fax
>  systems [5].
>

To retrieve:  
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-01.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-01.txt

In order to get a final review of the documents, we will have a two week
Working Group Last Call, prior to submission of the final versions to our
ADs and the secretariat.    

The deadline for comments is Nov 3, 1998, at 18:00 EDT.   

It is possible that we will have additional iterations of these documents
during
the WG last call period if needed.   

Please send all comments to the ietf-fax mailing list.   

Regards, 

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet Fax working group 

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------