Subject: FW: Protocol Action: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:20:30 PDT

Does this mean that we can create a Proposed Standard that
offers OpenPGP as a base message encryption mechanism?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 1998 8:27 AM
To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: RFC Editor; Internet Architecture Board; [email-masked]
Subject: Protocol Action: OpenPGP Message Format to Proposed Standard

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'OpenPGP Message Format'
<draft-ietf-openpgp-formats-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the An Open Specification for Pretty Good
Privacy Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.
 
Technical Summary
 
  This document defines the formats used by "Phil's Pretty Good
  Privacy" otherwise known as PGP.

Working Group Summary

  After serious discussion the working group came to consensus on this
  document.

Protocol Quality

  The formats used here are the result of a second generation 
  engineering effort to define an efficient, one pass format for
  representing information encrypted or signed with PGP. They were
  reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor: Please add the following as an IESG Note:

   This document defines many tag values, yet it doesn't describe a
   mechanism for adding new tags (for new features). Traditionally the
   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) handles the allocation of 
   new values for future expansion and RFCs usually define the procedure 
   to be used by the IANA.  However there are subtle (and not so subtle)
   interactions that may occur in this protocol between new features and
   existing features which result in a significant reduction in over all
   security. Therefore this document does not define an extension
   procedure. Instead requests to define new tag values (say for new 
   encryption algorithms for example) should be forwarded to the IESG
   Security Area Directors for consideration or forwarding to the
   appropriate IETF Working Group for consideration.