Subject: [Fax]WG Last Call Summaries for "eifax" and "reporting extensions"

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:09:42 -0500

To all - 

The purpose of this notice is to close the WG Last Call on the following
two documents:   

"Eifax" -  draft-ietf-fax-eifax-11.txt
"Reporting Extensions" -  draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-04.txt

The "eifax" draft is the core document defining the extended/full mode.
The "Reporting extensions" draft provides DSN and MDN methods for reporting
on capabilities.     Both documents received extensive comment during the
early part of their WG Last Calls, but have not received further comment
since the latest versions were posted.   

The "eifax" document was originally placed on WG last call in September in
version -04, but went through several changes as the new
"fax-feature-schema" document began to mature.   By the end of October,
most of the changes related to the schema document had solidified and we
brought the -08 version into the ITU meeting in early November.   At that
meeting, two small comments were made and related changes were made by the
editor.  The main points here were to clarify that "eifax" supports TIFF
profiles that go beyond the S profile and to clarify the preference (to the
SHOULD level) for using the mechanism defined in reporting extensions for
capabilities identification.   Since this time, only small editorial
changes have been made and the latest version (-011) was posted on 11/13.  

The "reporting extensions" document was originally placed on WG Last Call
on October 23, in order to get comments prior to the November ITU meeting.  
The last call version was -03.  The latest  version (-04) was posted on
October 27.   This version was also reviewed at the ITU and no changes were
requested.   

The participants at the IETF Fax meeting in December concurred that these
documents were complete.   

The current plan is to hold these documents until the WG Last Call on
"fax-feature-schema" is complete and then forward the suite of 3 documents
to the IESG for consideration as "proposed standards".  

A fourth related document (draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt) has already been
submitted to the IESG for potential publication as an informational RFC and
awaits IETF Last Call status.   

On one other related matter, the issue of Intellectual Property Rights
(IPR) has been raised on aspects of store and forward Internet fax.   One
statement has been received from Matsushita (see the IPR link from
www://www.ietf.org and previous comments on this list).   I am also
corresponding with another patent holder, Biscomm, to see if they believe
they need to post a statement.  At this time, it is not clear if there is
any overlap between existing patents and the RFC 2305 or "eifax" documents.   

Regards, 

James Rafferty 
Chair, IETF Internet Fax WG

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications 	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------