Subject: Re: Question on FaxConnect Results..

From: Stuart_McRae/STA/[email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:05:32 +0000

Richard Shockey wrote:

>I have a question on some of the results generated by the IMC FaxConnect event.
>
>I'm curious how many vendors inserted the classic fax CSID identification
>bar [ the watermark at the top of fax pages] into the TIFF Content-Type
>before transmission.
>
>I this considered "custom and practice" among IFAX vendors??

We weren't at FaxConnect, but I'll answer on what mailFax would do anyway...

We would not typically insert the CSID in this way, as we would expect the
receiving fax machine to watermark the pages like that, if that is what the user
wanted.

We do allow the user to place top and bottom margin text on the fax if we are
doing plain text to fax conversion, but if we receive an image to transmit we
would expect that the requisite behaviour is to send the image unmodified.

Regards,
Stuart

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:23:04 -0600

>would expect that the requisite behaviour is to send the image unmodified.

Thanks Stuart .. this is helpful. My reason for asking this has to do with
end user perceptions of what constitutes a "fax" as well as see how RFC2305
compliant devices or software systems might attempt to satisfy the legal
requirements for identification marking of documents that constitute a
"fax" under US and, I'm told, German law.

I know that the CSID is usually inserted by the recipient device (and some
senders).. but most mail clients would never manipulate an image after
reception so how might legal identification requirements be met in a end to
end 2305-IFAX environment.

I know that 2305 is not technically or legally "fax" per se but we are all
trying to sell this stuff out there as "Internet Fax" but in the real world
perceptions of what is and what is not a "fax" is driven by what folks have
been used to in the past.

If we are trying to sell people a Duck ... it should look like a
Duck....quack like a Duck etc.

So would it be useful for 2305 senders to optionally mark pages in the
usual manner to satisfy the requirements of what some end users may
perceive as "fax"???  Maybe we dont have enough experience in the market yet.

This subject has come up in discussions with the IPP folks as well.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<