Subject: Question on Confirmation Reciept Coordination

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:05:44 -0600

Perhaps some of our mail experts can assist here. I'm trying to understand
how a 2305 sending device that requests a MDN coordinates the response with
the original request for the purpose of transaction logging.

How does the client to match the proper Message ID because, if I'm not
mistaken,  it is added by the first SMTP server so when the MDN returns
with 'Original-Message-ID' there's apparently no way to machine correlate
with the original message on the sender's machine. 

This seems to make loging MDN responses to original messages rather difficult.

Am I mistaken here?

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:14:38 -0800 (PST)

> with the original message on the sender's machine.

The message-id is supposed to be created by the initial client, not by
the first SMTP server encountered. While it is true that servers will
often a message-id to messages that don't have them, they will not
replace one that is already there.

Simply put, if a client wants to do this sort of correlation, it had better
put in useful message-id.

> Am I mistaken here?

See above.

				Ned