Subject: Query to the Chair and all - Issues for Minneapolis

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:32:31 -0600

I'm wondering, considering that we are 6 weeks or so from Minneapolis,
whether we should have a list discussion on "What's Next?"

Options for consideration.

A. Re charter with a more highly defined set of goals.
	For instance:
		1. Document Implementers, Operators or Operational Guides
		2. Revise existing RFC documents in preparation for Draft Standard Status
		3. Gateway behavior? (There seemed to be some consensus in Orlando to
avoid gateway issues)

B. Declare Victory and shut down? Given the current state of overload in
the APP area I think we have a obligation to look at our work and decide
whether it makes sense to keep a full WG operational.

Thoughts?

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:00:55 -0800

Richard, 

>whether we should have a list discussion on "What's Next?"
The short answer is: 

We had a pretty extensive discussion on this at the last IETF meeting and
came to some conclusions.   That should be the starting point for any
further discussions.   

Just about all of the energy of the WG in the past several weeks has been
focused on the approval process for the extended mode documents.   

Once we're past this, there will be more bandwidth for other items.

>whether it makes sense to keep a full WG operational.
The main conclusion we came to in Orlando was that we were in the "end
game" of the Fax charter , so the best bet is probably to not re-charter
but just update/add on a couple of milestones on the most important items
to cover in the next 6-9 months and wrap up by year end.   

When the dust clears from the extended mode docs process, I plan to
circulate a charter milestone update to the list based on the agreements of
the Orlando meeting.   Hopefully, that will be soon.   

James

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications LLC	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email/Internet Fax:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]
     [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------