Subject: RE: Question on FaxConnect Results..

From: "Wagner,William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:05:53 -0500

Gentlemen,

I think it is time again for someone to clarify if and how the legal
requirements for identifying the originating station on a fax apply to IFAX.
I do not recall the requirement specifing only FAX transmission over GSTN.
And, indeed, one could argue that at some point in the path, IP could be
going over GSTN.

And then, if one maintains that the output of EMail messaging applications,
printer drivers, and other message input mechanisms could eventually result
in a FAX, at what point does the originating station identification
mechanisms defined for FAX become a requirement? Indeed, what is the FAX
originating station?

William A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
Director, OEM Technology
 DPI Imaging Division
 NETsilicon Inc.
 411 Waverley Oaks Road, #227
 Waltham, MA 02452
 Telephone 781-398-4588
 FAX  781-647-4460

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Wing [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 9:03 PM
To: McIntyre, Lloyd
Cc: Richard Shockey; Cancio, Vivian; Michael Spann; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Question on FaxConnect Results..

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:36:53 -0800, McIntyre, Lloyd wrote:

> Dan,
> I was not promoting a standard or extension of the standard to address
cover
> page.
> 
> I believe the this has been will continue to be an implementation issue.

So long as an SMTP-to-GSTNfax gateway ("offramp") does not expect
a coverpage, yes, I agree.

If the law requires the sender identify itself when transmitting a fax
over GSTN, it is the responsibility of the device doing the transmission
over the GSTN to provide such identification -- not the user doing the
sending (the user doing the sending is already sending identifying
information in the RFC822 From header).

-Dan Wing

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:34:44 PST

> requirements for identifying the originating station on a fax 

Please see draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt section 4.10 ("Legal"), which
purports to represent the consensus of the working group on this
issue.