Subject: IPP2IFAX BOF and Name Change

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:44:01 -0600

Last week I had a private mail discussion with our APP AD on the concept
and direction the IPP2IFAX work was going.

He had some concerns that we might be trying to invent a new message service. 

In particular he expressed some objections to attempting to duplicate "fax"
in so many words.

I tried to explain that this was really about the transmission of documents
and the strong need for things like confirmation, receipt, identification,
security, maybe even verification and integrity of the transmission.

It has been clear that some aspects of the IFAX work cannot solve those
problems...in particular the need for receipt.  If the sending and
receiving devices are both EIFAX compliant then clearly DNS would work, but
not if the recipient were a POP3 or IMAP client since the IESG will not
permit the mandatory reply to a MDN request and the spotty deployment of
MDN among common mail clients there may be serious objections to the
service in critical application areas like legal, finance, government, the
courts etc.

The issues with IPP are well known... the tools are there .. they just are
not mandated.

Keith's thought is that this proposed WG look at the issues purely from the
perspective of document transmission and reception .... not "messaging". 

Well that may be splitting hairs ...but there is merit to the approach.

He's proposed that we call this WG something like "hi fidelity document
distribution".

Well we can work on new names..

I've agreed to rewrite the charter... look at a new agenda and I'll have to
slice and dice the existing drafts that I put together.

I'm traveling this week.. but some quick input here could be helpful. 

Its clear that this is the only way that new work could be chartered. 

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
eFAX 815.333.1237  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<