Subject: Re: Question on FaxConnect Results..

From: Michael Spann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:14:42 -0800 (PST)

Would you clarify your question?  Are you asking whether the behavior of an
offramp is to transmit the offramp's CSID as part of the image transmitted to
a remote machine or are you asking if an onramp is generating some image to
attach to the received image?

The former is required in many (most?) countries.

I am not aware of any product does the latter.  On the other hand, some fax
board vendors do place the information that you might expect to be rasterized
and displayed as a header by a receive fax machine in the TIFF 270 tag (Image
Description). 

-----
Michael Spann                           [email-masked]
Voice:  +1-408-969-5273			Fax:    +1-408-969-5873

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Richard Shockey wrote:

> 
> I have a question on some of the results generated by the IMC FaxConnect event.
> 
> I'm curious how many vendors inserted the classic fax CSID identification
> bar [ the watermark at the top of fax pages] into the TIFF Content-Type
> before transmission.
> 
> I this considered "custom and practice" among IFAX vendors??
> 
> Inquiring minds would like to know!
> 
> 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Richard Shockey
> Shockey Consulting LLC                  
> 8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
> St. Louis, MO 63119
> Voice 314.918.9020
> Fax   314.918.9015
> INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:14:37 -0600

>attach to the received image?

My general question was in reference to the TIFF Encoded images generated
by RFC2305 client/devices in the general case where the end to end
transmission is all internet mail and there is no expatiation of offramping
to the GSTN.

Do, or perhaps, should senders rasterize the classic time/date, page number
or CSID data into the TIFF page image BEFORE SMTP transmission in order to
preserve the "look and feel" and general end user expectations of what a
"fax" should look like when it shows up in their POP3/IMAP Email box.

The insertion of this data into the fax page output is usually done by the
recipients device or intellegent fax board in their faxserver..but due the
different nature of Internet Fax should this be reversed and inserted as a
"general custom and practice" by the senders application.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC