Subject: Re: combining "simple mode" and "extended mode" documents

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:39:04 +0000

At 00:12 13/03/99 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
[...]
>In the long run, yes, it is nicer to have fully integrated 
>documents.  However integrating them is an effort, as has been demonstrated 
>by the DRUMS effort.  Worse, I believe that pursuing integration, now, will 
>create more instability than stability.

Yes, I see that timing is a debatable point.  Maybe there will be more
evidence upon which to base a rational decision following the next
FaxConnect event?

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:22:13 -0800

>evidence upon which to base a rational decision following the next

My own guess is that the topic is best deferred until both specifications 
reach Full Standard.  Then there will be no danger of disrupting 
status.  Even then, we will have to pay close attention to the impact, such 
as Herman noted for T.37.

Basically the choice hinges on whether merging the documents is considered 
to fix an urgent problem or whether it is "only" a matter of convenience 
and cleanliness.

I see the issue as the latter and believe that it would take a very, very 
strong demonstration of urgency and seriousness to justify what I will call 
the distraction of putting time into a bookkeeping effort.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[email-masked]>