Subject: [FAX} Summary of Fax WG Meeting

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:37:14 -0600

Folks, 

The summary of the March 99 WG meeting follows.  

James Rafferty
Chair, IETF Internet Fax WG

Summary - IETF Internet Fax WG - March 18, 1999

The three extended fax RFCs were published at the end of last week and will
be submitted as ISOC contributions to next week's ITU SG8 meeting, for
reference in an amended version of ITU-T T.37.   The group reviewed the
status of efforts to update the simple mode RFCs so that they can
eventually progress to draft standard status.   The updated version of RFC
2305 (simple mode) has only small editorial and reference changes.    The
TIFF-Fx (updated to RFC 2301) requires small clarifications that have
resulted from interworking tests.   The Addressing RFCs (RFC 2303-4) are
being revised to provide better editorial clarity.   Several vendors have
conducted TIFF profileas interworking tests for all of the 6 profiles in
RFC 2301.  Further interworking tests are planned, especially to test the
offramp addressing features of the simple mode; the target for progression
to draft standard was agreed by the room to be  June 99.   The status of
several current drafts were reviewed.  The full addressing draft needs a
final review of the IANA considerations and the next draft will be sent to
WG last call.   The cover page draft is under discussion, especially to
confirm the cases which need to be supported.   The meeting concluded with
a review of updated milestones.  Priorities include the progress of the
simple mode documents to draft, the cover page draft and an implementor's
guide; there was rough consensus fthat Onramp/Offramp documents are best
handled as a separately chartered work effort.   

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications LLC	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email/Internet Fax:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]
     [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------