Subject: Re: Question on FaxConnect Results..

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 01:25:52 EST

McIntyre-san

From the piont of IFAX device manufacturer, generating page header or cover
page by Sender is better solution than generating by Receiver.

Because;

(1)Easy header generate by Sender
   Sender will have its own font to generate image header such as kanji-
charactor.
   Address information may be more than US-ASCII.
   G3FAX system can be used as IFAX for generating header requested by the
United States law.

(2)Symple print out by Receiver
   Charactor font is not required.

I know that IFAX PC soft developer may have other preference because of
different archtecture from IFAX device.

This function may be an implementation issue.
But I believe we should write RFC for generating header,
before United States law will request to send header or cover page in IFAX
preventing junk IFAX.

Toru MAEDA
CANON Inc.

In a message dated 99/02/05 10:57:49 JST, you write:

<< Subj:	 RE: Question on FaxConnect Results..
 Date:	99/02/05 10:57:49 JST
 From:	[email-masked] (McIntyre, Lloyd)
 To:	[email-masked]
 
 Please remember that either page headers (i.e. included in the message body)
 or a cover page satisfies the FCC requirement for fax.
 I personally would prefer to not add headers to the message pages.
 I suspect that cover pages may be easily generated at the IFax receiver
 based on the mail header information. I do not know whether a cover page
 generated at the receiver will have as much credibility as one generated by
 the sender and included with the message.
 Bottom line, I would recommend a cover page that was generated at the sender
 and included as a part of the message.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:22:31 -0600

>before United States law will request to send header or cover page in IFAX

I totally agree we need to come to some consensus (if possible) on how to
proceed with these issues and I believe the appropriate place to draft them
is in a IFAX "Implementers Guide" that would be a RFC "Best Current Practices".

If I recall from our discussions in Orlando the Chair has identified a
editor for this work based on the results from Fax Connect 1 and future events.

Three things we've seen from the last few days discussions that need to be
resolved are:

A. Cover Page generation..

B. TIFF encoded headers or "watermarks"

C. Message-ID number creation for the proper tracking of DSN/MDN
notifications as noted in Ned Freed's posting 

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<