Subject: RE: MDNs: "a blast from the past"

From: FREE-FAX New York <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:04:47 -0500

Hmmmm......

MDN's work fine when the sender is a device or software that is expecting them as a confirmatory response... it just ignores them if they cannot be related to the original message. 

If you want to send IFaxes via email, get something that's designed to do the job.
If you want to send IFaxes from your regular email software don't request confirmation unless you really *want* confirmation.

Geoff

----------
From: 	Dan Wing
Sent: 	Tuesday, March 30, 1999 5:31 PM
To: 	IETF Internet Fax WG
Subject: 	MDNs: "a blast from the past"

I just had one more negative experience with MDNs.  As many of you may
remember, I sent several messages to the [email-masked] mailing list
several months ago which contained the RFC822 field
"Disposition-Notification-To: [email-masked]".

Just yesterday (March 29) I received three empty messages which appear to
be MDN responses from my old messages (generated by Microsoft Outlook
8.5).  I am guessing they are MDN responses because they went to an alias
I never use except for MDNs ([email-masked]).

I thought folks on this list would be interested in this experience.

-Dan Wing

---

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 22:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

> If you want to send IFaxes via email, get something that's designed to

I can't control the software installed by the readers of the
[email-masked] mailing list -- which is how I received my Blast
From the Past.

-Dan Wing