Subject: Fwd: Protocol Action: On-Demand Mail Relay (ODMR) to Proposed Standard

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:20:22 -0400

Folks,    

Last year there was a lot of discusson on this list about whether SMTP
could be extended so that it could support an on demand mail relay method.
 In particular, there was interest in meeting the needs of Ifax devices and
applications which only connect to the Internet on a periodic basis.   In
addition, there has been interest in being able to support DSN through the
point of delivery to a final end point.   

Therefore, please see the attached notice, indicating approval for the
On-Demand Mail Relay draft.    

Unlike previous mail relay approaches, this method can also support dynamic
allocation of IP addresses.   

So, I encourage implementors who are interested in dialup Internet fax
devices and applications to review this draft and consider its potential
application for Internet fax.    

During milestone discussions, we have considered the possibility of
developing an applicability statement for the use of on-demand relay for
Internet fax, but have held off on any action pending the availability of a
standard method.    If there is interest on the list in developing such a
draft, please speak up.    During the period leading up to the Oslo
meeting, I would like the WG to discuss possible additions to our milestone
list and a draft based on this approach is one of the possibilties if there
is sufficient interest.    

Regards, 

James

>To: IETF-Announce:;
>Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
>Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
>From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Protocol Action: On-Demand Mail Relay (ODMR) to Proposed
>	Standard
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:02:34 -0400
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'On-Demand Mail Relay (ODMR)'
><draft-gellens-on-demand-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
>has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
>Group.  The IESG contact person(s) are Keith Moore and Patrik
>Faltstrom.
>
> 
>Technical Summary
> 
>This specifies a method for fetching SMTP messages via a mechanism
>similar to the ETRN method, but one which works when the client which
>requests the mail uses a dynamic IP address. The basic functionality
>is that the server listens for incoming connections on a port
>different than SMTP. Greetings are exchanged between the server and
>client, after which the client authenticates using the SMTP-AUTH
>extensions. After that is done, the client can via the ATRN command
>request that the roles changes, and the server starts working over
>the same TCP connection as an SMTP client for the domains which the
>authenticated client has access to.
>
>This is not an extension to the SMTP service running on port 25,
>while the SMTP protocol syntax is reused for this ODMR
>(On-Demand-Mail-Relay) protocol on port 366 which is reserved for
>this service.
>
>Working Group Summary
>
>There was consensus on the mailing list about this solution to the
>problem. Version -06 of the protocol was last-called, and changes to
>-07 reflects issues brought up during the last call.
>
>Protocol Quality
>
>The spec was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom
> 
*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications LLC	
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Email/Internet Fax:  [email-masked]
	 [email-masked]
     [email-masked]

HC Web Site:  http://www.humancomm.com  
*---------------------------------------------------