Subject: Re: Decode-error case in Eifax(RFC2532)

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

>CASE A
>domain.com is a fax gateway which delivers the IFAX direct to a PSTN fax
>machine and reports 'delivered'
>
>CASE B
>domain.com is a normal MTA. The MTA delivers the IFAX to mailbox <fax no>
>and reports 'delivered' BUT the IFAX is never retrieved by 'fax no' and
>the server deletes the message after (say) 30 days.
>
>In both cases DSN has reported 'delivered'.

Case A indicates it was offramped in the DSN text in the implementation I
am most familiar with.

>A tad misleading

Likewise, a FedEx or USPS return receipt is misleading -- I don't know if
the recipient will actually read my letter.  

As MDNs are entirely optional, DSNs are the only thing that can be relied
upon.

You state that 50% of mailers support DSNs.

What percentage of MUAs support MDNs, and what percentage of those are
configured to always respond to MDN requests?

-Dan Wing

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:09:18 +0900

Wing-san,

I do not want to discuss DSN vs MDN.
I believe the result brought Eifax(RFC2532).

>> configured to always respond to MDN requests?

Regards,

--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
Mail: [email-masked]
Tel: +81-462-28-7459  Fax: +81-462-28-7500 (SUB/F-code 5727)