Subject: Oslo followup: primary content and cover page

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:47:00 +0100

This is just a brief follow-up to the reference to the cover page proposal
in the Oslo fax WG meeting minutes.

[From the draft minutes...]
>Cover Page: <draft-ietf-fax-coverpage-02.txt>

[The purpose of this draft is to identify the presence of fax cover page
information, allowing for it to be distinct from the primary content of a
message;  in this respect, a cover page may be "distinguished" content
within a message.]

>Open issues include 1) disposition of VPIM multipart constructs for Unified
>Messaging and 2) Is a particular multipart structure required when cover
>information is present.   
>
>Keith Moore suggested that he would meet with a small group of fax, VPIM
>and email people during the week to review the mechanism for multiparts
>related to "primary content" types (i.e. primary content type is fax, also
>other content)  

From follow-up VIM and other meetings, the current view seems to be that a
profile of multipart/related and content-disposition usage will be used for
indicating primary content;  Pete Resnick and Steve Hole have indicated
they will prepare a proposal for this.

I think the cover page ideas should fit comfortably into this framework,
and would suggest that we await Pete&Steve's proposal before pushing
further on the cover page.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])