Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:03:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: File Format for Internet Fax 
	Author(s)	: R. Buckley,  D. Venable, S. Zilles,  L. McIntyre, 
                          G. Parsons, J. Rafferty
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-02.txt
	Pages		: 84
	Date		: 16-Aug-99
	
This document is a revised version of Proposed Standard RFC 2301.
The revisions, summarized in the list attached as Annex C to this 
document, are based on the discussions and suggestions for improvements 
that have been made since the Proposed Standard was issued in March 1998, and on the results of independent implementations and interoperability testing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:28:45 -0400

Folks,   

Please review the latest issuance of this document.    

In particular, there has been a change made to the text regarding
the default which would apply for the compression tag when its 
value is set to 9 (JBIG) as noted below in an excerpt from Annex C of the
document:  

"On the recommendation of the JBIG committee of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, 
made T82Options = 0 (the default value) correspond to the T.85 
application profile; made corresponding changes in 5.4 and 8.5. 
The committee rationalized that T.85 is the minimum T.82 profile 
and it is also the most widely implemented profile." 

This is a change from the last rev as discussed at the Oslo WG 
meeting.   

The need to treat the various profiles of JBIG distinctly in TIFF-FX
seems essential; the key question is whether the approach 
contained in the document is the right way to go.   

As discussed
at Oslo, this kind of relatively small change that is an outgrowth 
of implementation experience would not cause the draft to recycle 
to proposed std.   

Please comment as to whether this change is supported by 
the members of this list.  

Thanks,  

James

At 07:03 AM 8/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>that have been made since the Proposed Standard was issued in March 1998,
and on the results of independent implementations and interoperability
testing.

*------------------------------------------------*
James Rafferty			
President, Human Communications LLC
12 Kevin Drive			
Danbury, CT  06811-2901		
USA					
Voice/Fax:  +1-203-746-4367
Fax to email:  +1-603-925-5753  (Current Preferred Fax Number)
Email/Internet Fax:  [email-masked]
Alternate email : [email-masked],
 [email-masked] (chg from csi.com)

HC Web Site:  http://humancomm.com 
*---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:10:08 +0900 (JST)

> and it is also the most widely implemented profile." 

About this issue I support it.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
Mail: [email-masked]
Tel: +81-46-228-7459  Fax: +81-46-228-7500 (SUB/F-code 5727)

---

From: Ryuji Iwazaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:31:47 +0900

> and it is also the most widely implemented profile."

I agree to this change.

Ryuji Iwazaki
TOSHIBA TEC Corporation