Subject: Re: FW: FAX= "+international number"

From: Claudio Allocchio +39 040 3758523 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:42:26 +0100

> 	According to Ken (Kensuke) the global syntax does not work in Japan
> unless they can identify the fields and strip the unnecessary information

Vivian,
I suspect there is a fundamental misunderstanding in what Ken is saying.

The "global phone" syntax is the universal syntax which is used whenever 
you want to specify a really unique identifier for a telephone number in 
any country.

Ken is confusing "real world use" of a global phone with its specification:

"global phone" cannot be used "as is" in any place in the world. 

ANY real device/software which is connected to the worldwide telephone 
network needs a "local profile" in order to know how to convert "global 
phone" into the real sequence of digits to dial.

It is nothing new at all: nearly any modem you buy (including the one I'm 
using now from home) has a configuration profile where you specify:

  your local area code
  your country code
  your international dialling prefix (usually 00 or 010)
  your long distance dialling prefix (usually 0)

and then you enter all phone number with "global phone" syntax. As such, 
my remote access number is written in "global phone" synax:

   +39403758800

and the configuration profile states:

  local area code: 40
  country code: 39
  international dialling prefix: 00
  long distance dialling prefix: 0

When I select +39403758800 my modem recognises that I need to make a 
local call, and strips away anything but 3758800.

If I select a number within Italy ( +39373856672 ), it just strips away +39, 
and adds the long distance 0, dialling 0373856672.

If I select a foreign number ( +12127664534 ), it just adds 00 in front, 
dialling 0012127664534.

> In Japan, We can't use global phone number for calling next door.
> We must use local numbering rule.

Ken, it is exactly tha same in ANY country in the world. See above!

> If AU1 use the global phone number when AU1 call to G3FAX
> which is in same country, then AU1 should exclude country code
> from the global phone number.
> But AR1 has no information for country code.

I think there is the misunderstanding I described above. In any country 
you need to know the local dialling information, which you can configure 
inside a local profile.

The global phone syntax and idea is not something we invented: it is 
already in use by millings of modems around the world.

> OK. I have a dissatisfaction whit RFC2303.
> It should be included local phone number rule.

The local phone rule is included in the extended specification which is 
now going for Proposed Standard.

Ken, can you please describe a case whene the situation I described above 
(with the local data profile I said) cannot work?

Please fill in the below schema. If it cannot be worked out, we will 
modify the Draft Standard specification which is already in progress.

Global phone number:

International dialling prefix:

Long distance dialling prefix:

Local Area code:

External Line access:

I hope I was able to specify the situation better, if not just ask me!

Regards
Claudio Allocchio

To: "'Claudio Allocchio +39 040 3758523'"
	 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:03:51 -0700 
From: "Cancio, Vivian" <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: FAX= "+international number"

Hello Claudio,
	Sorry to bother you with this but does this message below makes
sense to you?
	I don't want to bring this up on any list unless I understand it,
and I don't think I do.
	According to Ken (Kensuke) the global syntax does not work in Japan
unless they can identify the fields and strip the unnecessary information
(worse than 'unnecessary' because it won't work otherwise). What Ken is
saying makes sense to me, so is the global no. used by telephone companies?
Not IFax (fax machines) offramp devices?
	Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer ...
	Vivian

-----Original Message-----
From: Kensuke Yamada [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 03 September, 1999 1:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: FAX= "+international number"

Vivian

I'm sorry my poor English and describing.

> The problem is ...
> 1) Because Suzuka does not know the location or country where the it is
> located (-from- which it will make the call)?
> -OR-
> 2) Because Suzuka does not know the location or country -to- which Suzuka
> will call?

I think 1.

> THEN ...
> Why does it has to know? Maybe I should know but I can not think why.
> Do you think that the FAX="+number" will not have all the numbers necessa
> ry
> to make the long distance call where the Suzuka machine is located?

In Japan, We can't use global phone number for calling next door.
We must use local numbering rule.

My office phone number when I call from my house is "0559-76-7725"
or "76-7725".
But that's global phone number is "+81-559-76-7725".
I tried to call to "81-559-76-7725", then NTT connected another phone
"81-5597".
And I tried again to call "001-81-559-76-7725"; 001 is international
phone number via KDD, but KDD refused to connect to that number.

So, In Japan, there are two numbering rule which call to abroad or local.
AU1 can not recognize which telephone number rule should be used.
I think there are some countries that use same rule.

If AU1 use the global phone number when AU1 call to G3FAX
which is in same country, then AU1 should exclude country code
from the global phone number.
But AR1 has no information for country code.

So, We decided not supporting global phone number in the AU1 spec.

> P.S. We can send a message to Claudio Allochio (author of RFC 2303 and 23
> 04)
> if we need any clarification.

OK. I have a dissatisfaction whit RFC2303.
It should be included local phone number rule.