Subject: Private-use feature tag registration

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:05:53 +0100

At 10:13 08/09/99 +0900, MAEDA toru wrote:
>Klyne-san
>
>I have some question about trees.
>
>What is the difference between the IETF tree and the global tree?
>Is this on the definition procedure?

The differences are:

(a) the form of the name (e.g. IETF tree: 'tagname';  global tree:
'g.tagname').

(b) the requirements for registration -- to register in the IETF tree
requires "IETF consensus" but to register in the global tree requires just
"Expert review".

The details of these trees are set out in RFC 2506, and the regsitration
requirements are described in RFC 2434.

>Are ther any difference to refere or to use tags in the IETF tree and the 
>global tree?

No -- use of these tags within feature expressions is exactly the same.

>Cloud you teach me how to define tags for private-use extensions ?

To start, I suggest that you read RFC 2506, with particular note of
sections 3.1.2, 3.1.3 and 3.4.  You will note that for truly _private_ use,
a URI-based form can be used which does not require any registration.

If you wish to define an interoperable but non-standard feature tag then
registration in the global tree is probably appropriate.

The process is similar to that for registration in the IETF tree, except
that the requirements for acceptance are less strict.  The feature tag
should be documented using the template headings contained in RFC 2506 (for
examples of such documentation, see RFC 2534 or appendix A of RFC 2531).
For the ASN.1 OID values, leave a placeholder requesting a value be
assigned by IANA.

As indicated in RFC 2506, section 3.4, the feature tag registration
document should be sent to <[email-masked]> with a
request that it be reviewed for inclusion in the global feature tag tree.

#g
--

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])