Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:57:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Content Negotiation for Facsimile Using Internet Mail
	Author(s)	: G. Klyne, R. Iwazaki,  D. Crocker
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 19-Oct-99
	
This memo describes a mechanism for e-mail content negotiation that
allows Internet fax to transfer enhanced image data in a fashion
comparable with traditional facsimile.
It allows the sender of a message to indicate availability of
alternative formats, and the receiver to indicate that an
alternative format should be provided to replace the message data
originally transmitted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:35:12 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

1 3.3

There are the following sentences.
"
  If the sender is no longer able to send message data for any
  reason, it MUST send a message to the receiver indicating a failed
  transfer.  It SHOULD also generate a report for the sender
  indicating the failure.

  [[[Discuss this last paragraph.]]]
"

In this case, what kind of messages do SENDER send to RECEIVER ?
As you said in [[[]]], this is the discussion point.

2 "Content-alternative" and 'Alternative-preferred'

I think more than two "alternative"s cat be described
in the first Sender's message,
by using of more than "Content-alternative" headers.

Receiver cannot specify the exact one that it wants.
'Alternative-preferred' disposition modifier is only defined.
Another sub-modifier(?) is necessary for it.

And,

Receiver cannot judge whether the message from Sender is
the first one or the second one.

Sometimes, Receiver may want to know the message is the
second one. When Receiver returns 'Alternative-preferred',
it waits for the 'Alternative' of the first message.

In some implementation, if Receiver do not receive
the second one within some fixed time, it may print
the first message.

Some new header or something will solve it.

...
On the whole, there are lots of matters to fix, as in [[[]]].
There may be other matters that are not descibed here.

When I have much time, I will read it carefully.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
Mail: [email-masked]
Tel: +81-46-228-1743  Fax: +81-46-228-7500 (SUB/F-code 5727)