Subject: Comunication from the IESG on QUALDOCS Charter

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:38:35 -0600

I've received a communication from the IESG on the status of our proposed 
charter.

In general, the IESG believes that we have some interesting ideas and it is 
willing to charter the work. In their view however, we should first develop 
the Goals and Requirements document and then amend the charter for the 
actual protocol.

Of particular concern to the IESG was the concept of "legal" identity 
exchange and "proof of delivery". The Security Area Directors are 
particularly concerned about the level of proof we might propose based on 
the current state of the art. We may need some more debate on what these 
terms actually mean in this context.

Consequently I've paired down the proposed charter a bit and I'd like some 
additional feedback on any other concepts that should be included or 
excluded, for that matter.

We already have a draft Goals document available for discussion so work can 
proceed.

So... please take a look ...
##############

Proposed Charter:

QUALDOCS - HIGH QUALITY DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

Chair(s):   Richard Shockey
         <[email-masked]>  [PROPOSED]

Applications Area Director(s):
         Keith Moore     <[email-masked]>
         Patrik Faltstrom   <[email-masked]>

  Area Advisor
         Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>

  Mailing lists:
      General Discussion:        [email-masked]

To Subscribe:

[email-masked]

In Body: subscribe ifx  [your-email-address]

         The subject line should be blank

Archive:

<http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/ifx>

Description of Working Group:

The transmission and reception of final form documents (i.e. presented in a 
format that describes their final rendering) is an essential global 
communications service.

Several protocols and services have been developed over the years to 
facilitate document transmission, including the GSTN Fax service [ITU 
-T.30].  Within the IETF several protocols have been developed that 
facilitate document transmission, including RFC 2305 and RFC 2532 [Store 
and Forward Internet Fax] and the Internet Print Protocol [IPP].

Problem Statement:

Each of these services has one or more severe limitations or restrictions 
that may not be suitable for all document transmissions.

Among those limitations that could be applied to one or more of the above 
services:

1. Limitations on Quality (resolution or color transmission)
2. Ability to repudiate request for receipt confirmation (MDN - DSN)
3. Lack of clear and unambiguous identification of sender and recipient
4. Lack of ability to adequately determine the success or failure of a 
document transmission during processing
5. Inability to establish reliable knowledge or negotiation of recipient 
capabilities
6. Inability to satisfy legal as well as general custom and practice for 
document transmission technologies, as typically applied to GSTN Fax.
7. Inability to establish transaction security, authenticity and 
confidentiality of document transmission

Work Group Objectives:

The purpose of the work group will be to investigate current work within 
the IETF and develop Goals and Requirements that can satisfy the 
requirements for reliable document transmission with a high degree of 
fidelity and reliability.

Study will be given to the requirements of 3rd party document delivery 
service providers.

QUALDOCS Goals and Requirements will build on the work of RFC 2542 
Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax.

The working group will closely coordinate its activities with other IETF 
Work Groups, including the Internet Print Protocol working group [IPP] and 
the Internet Fax working group [FAX] as well other document transmission 
related standards bodies and related work groups, notably the ITU-T Study 
Group 8. The group will take note of other areas and Work Groups within the 
IETF that may have direct bearing on reliable document delivery.

Relevant areas include:

-  Security, Authentication and Encryption (TLS, etc)
-  Sender Identification (vCard)
-  RFC 2301 File Formats
-  Digital Signatures and Certificates
-  RESCAP
-  IMPP
-  ENUM

Goals and Milestones:

May 2000  Submit Internet Draft of Goals and Objectives for Quality 
Document Distribution  for publication as a Standards Track RFC.

July 2000  Re-submit QUALDOCS Charter to include Protocol Development for 
IESG approval.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<