Subject: RE: IETF puts brakes on TIFF-FX

From: "COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV) (LM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:03:02 -0500

I read the article referenced below & pose a simple question, which, I'm
sure, will bring lots of responses:

Since the great, great majority of FAX is B&W anyway, why not release
TIFF-FX as a monochrome standard?  Then, when the snags between Xerox, Adobe
& everyone else are worked out, define a second extension, such as TIFF-CF
for "color fax".

I am probably overlooking some obvious reason why it "can't be done", but I
thought I would ask the question anyway.

Regards to all,

Richard Coles
Lockheed Martin, in support of
NASA/Johnson Space Center/Houston

I'm in this to save the Government, and therefore the TAXPAYERS (like me), a
LOT of money.

R

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Wing [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 11:30 AM
To: IETF Internet Fax WG
Subject: CNN: IETF puts brakes on TIFF-FX

> >ADOBE, XEROX TIFF SLOWS INTERNET FAX STANDARD
> >
> >
> >The Internet Engineering Task Force has slammed the brakes on its plans
to
> >develop a common way of sending faxes over the Internet, due to
> >last-minute licensing problems between rivals Adobe Systems and Xerox.
> >
>
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/08/13/adobe.xerox.tiff.idg/index.html

---

From: "Buckley, Robert R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:18:07 -0400

One statement in this article needs correction. It says that Xerox "won't
back TIFF-FX unless Adobe promises to support the standard in its next
version of TIFF, TIFF 7.0." That's news to me and is simply not true--Xerox
already supports 3 TIFF-FX profiles in released Internet Fax products. 

Rob Buckley

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Wing [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 12:30 PM
To: IETF Internet Fax WG
Subject: CNN: IETF puts brakes on TIFF-FX

to