Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:36:12 -0600

The following ID announcement is for a revision to the MDN specification in
preparation for Draft Standard.  Please note:  Many seemingly unimplemented
dispositions and all disposition modifiers have been removed.  If someone
can name TWO interoperable implementations of any of the deleted
dispositions or disposition modifiers, I will be happy to add them back into
the document.

Note that the requirements for draft standard are explicit that all features
and options need to have at least two, interoperable implementations.  If
they are still useful, the unimplemented dispositions deleted from this
document may be standardized at a later date as an MDN extension.  

This document also adds an additional section for gateway advice.  The
previous document was silent about what to do when gatewaying a MDN request
into a foreign network.  Given that most email networks do not have a
separate disposition-notification-to: recipient, that was a bit of an
oversight.

Please review and send comments.  It is my hope that we can quickly advance
this to Draft Standard. 

Thank you.

Greg Vaudreuil.

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 04:48:53 -0600

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Message Disposition Notification
	Author(s)	: T. Hansen, G. Vaudreuil
	Filename	: draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 24-Aug-01
	
This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail user 
agent (MUA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a 
message after it has been successfully delivered to a recipient.  This 
content-type is intended to be machine-processable.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:05:17 -0600

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:19:36 -0700

Greg,

Thanks for forwarding this.

> dispositions and all disposition modifiers have been removed.

The ABNF in section 3.2.6 seems to still list the disposition modifiers.

> If someone
> dispositions or disposition modifiers, I will be happy to add them
> back into the document.
>

Section 8.3 has a sentence which begins:

  In other most email systems,

which should be corrected.

> Please review and send comments.  It is my hope that we can quickly advance

Section 3.2.2 and the 'Status of this memo' section both seem to be missing
some runoff commands to format the text correctly.

-d

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:57:28 +0900 (JST)

Greg,

> document may be standardized at a later date as an MDN extension.  

I do not read all, but I say,

Some Ifax devices already use:
"dispatched" or "processed" without modifiers
  when succesfully decoding the received TIFF-FX file
"processed/error" in the case of the failure.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:22:18 -0700

> "processed/error" in the case of the failure.

Those devices will remain compliant with the Proposed Standard RFC2298,
but won't be compliant with the Draft Standard that Greg is authoring.

As soon as Greg's document becomes an RFC, I'll ask our development
group here in Cisco to bring our implementation in line with his
new Draft Standard.

-d