Subject: content-type description in impl-guide.

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:38:59 +0900 (JST)

Folks,

Is the sentences below our conclusion?

  5.4 Content-Type for the file format

  The content-type "image/tiff" should only be used for Profiles S and F.
  Some existing implementations based on [RFC 2301] may use "image/tiff"
  for other Profiles. However, this usage is now deprecated. Instead,
  the content-type "image/tiff-fx" whose registratin is being defined
  in [TIFF-FX-REG] should be used.    

  To maximize interworking with devices that are only capable of 
  rendering Profile S or F, "image/tiff" SHOULD be used when
  transporting Profile S or F.

I will prepare the new version within this week.

--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:09:07 -0800

>   for other Profiles.

Are there, in fact, any such implementations? Which profiles beyond
S and F are used with image/tiff? There were no implementations
that used "image/tiff" with any profiles other than S and F listed
in any of the interoperability reports so far. In searching the
Internet for descriptions of Internet Fax implementations, I can't
find any that use "image/tiff" for profiles other than S and F.

If the consensus is that this statement is true, then could someone
who believes this statement name any of these "existing
implementations",
please?

>                  However, this usage is now deprecated. Instead,

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:42:47 +0900 (JST)

Larry,

> find any that use "image/tiff" for profiles other than S and F.

Some Japanese manufactures' ifax ***products***  use "image/tiff"
for Profle J, although the ifax products of our company do not
have Profile J.