Subject: draft-inet-fax-gateway-protorol-08.txt

From: Yokoyama <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:24:53 +0900

Dear,

We fixed the comments from Wing-san about draft-inet-fax-gateway-protorol-07txt,
and we chenge it  to draft-inet-fax-gateway-protorol-08.txt.

--
K.Yokoyama

Network Working Group                                          K.Mimura
Internet-Draft: draft-ietf-fax-gateway-protocol-08.txt      K.Yokoyama
                                                                T.Satoh
                                                              C.Kanaide
                                            TOYO Communicaion Equipment
                                                          March 28 2002

                     Internet FAX Gateway Functions

Status Of This Memo
     
     This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full
     conformance with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026. 
     
     Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet
     Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working
     groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working
     documents as Internet-Drafts.  Internet-Drafts are draft
     documents valid for a maximum of six months and may be
     updated, replaced, or obsolete by other documents at any
     time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
     reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
     progress."

     The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

     The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice
     
  Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2001).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   An Internet FAX Gateway provides functions which translate facsimile
   between the general switched telephone network (GSTN) the Internet.
   This document provides information on recommended behaviors for
   Internet FAX Gateways Functions for email-based Internet fax. 
   In this context, an Offramp means facsimile data transmission to the
   GSTN from the Internet, and onramp means facsimile data transmission 
   to Internet from the GSTN. This document covers the delivery-process 
   of the data among equipment which may include Internet Fax terminals,
   PCs on the Internet and FAX terminal on GSTN. 

Table Of Contents

1. Introduction
1.1 Key words
1.2 Intellectual Property
2. Internet FAX Gateway Protocol 

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page1]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

3. Offramp Gateway
3.1 Offramp functions
3.2 Addressing
3.2.1 example of local dialing rules
3.3 User authorization
3.4 Return notice
4. Onramp Gateway
4.1 Onramp Functions
4.2 Address designation
4.2.1 Immediate address designation
4.2.2 Indirect address designation
4.2.3 Support subaddress
4.3 Relay function
4.4 File format conversion
4.5 User authorization
4.6 Return notice
5. Security Considerations
6. References
6.1 informative groups
6.2 normative groups
7. Full Copyright Statement
8. Contact

1. Introduction

   An Internet FAX Gateway plays a role of gateway between FAX
   operations built on the General Switched Telephone Network (GSTN) and
   the Internet. This document defines the potential behavior of devices
   and applications which serve this purpose. Gateways can be classified
   as an Onramp where facsimile data is translated from the GSTN to the 
   Internet and as an Offramp, where facsimile data is translated from
   the Internet to the GSTN. A more detailed definition of onramps and
   offramps for email-based Internet fax is provided in [1].
   Internet FAX Gateways functions for real-time Internet fax are
   defined in [2].
   Scope of Internet FAX Gateway defined in this document is shown
   below.
   1) A format of image data is a data format defined by "Simple Mode" 
      in [3].
   2) Operational mode is "store and forward" defined in section 2.5 of 
      [1]

1.1 Key words
   The key words "MUST", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", and "MAY" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [4].

1.2 Intellectual Property
   The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
   regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
   document.  For more information consult the online list of claimed
   rights in <http://www.ietf.org/ipr.html>.

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page2]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

2. Internet FAX Gateway Protocol

   There are two kinds of gateway functions, which are an onramp gateway
   and offramp gateway. An onramp gateway receives facsimile data from a
   facsimile device over the GSTN, then sends the facsimile data to an 
   Internet fax capable device or application. An offramp gateway
   receives Internet FAX from Internet fax capable devices which may
   include an onramp gateway and PC over Internet, then sends facsimile 
   data to facsimile device over GSTN. In both case described above,
   facsimile communication between a gateway and the Internet is based
   on [3].

   Protocols which are discussed in this document are shown below, and
   other communication protocol should be referred in [3].

   1) Communication protocol between onramp gateway and GSTN.
   2) Communication protocol between offramp gateway and GSTN.

3. Offramp Gateway

3.1 Offramp functions
   An offramp gateway provides a translation function, such that the
   offramp gateway receives an Internet FAX and then send facsimile data
   to the facsimile devices over GSTN using a standard facsmile protocol
   [5].The Communication protocol between the offramp gateway and the
   submitting Internet fax device will be based on [3] for
   standards-based store and forward operations.

3.2 Addressing
   An offramp gateway MUST process the mailbox string and convert it to
   a "local-phone" according to the local dialing rules.

3.2.1 example of local dialing rules
   This example is an offramp gateway change from "global-phone" to 
   "local-phone" by removing "+" and international country code.

   If an offramp gateway receive next "global-phone".

      +12223334444

   "local-phone" is the string remove "+",international country code "1"
   from "global-phone".
   "local-phone" is 

      2223334444

   Next example is an offramp gateway change from "global-phone" to 
   "local-phone" by removing "+" and international country code then
   "exit-code" "0"is put at head.

   If an offramp gateway receive next "global-phone".

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page3]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

      +81355556666

   "local-phone" is the string remove "+",international country code
   "81" then "exit-code" "0" is put at head from "global-phone"
   "local-phone" is

      0355556666

   "global-phone" defined in section 2. of [6]
   "local-phone" defined in section 2. of [7]
   "exit-code" defined in section 2.1 of [7]

3.3 User authorization
   Offramp gateway MAY have a user authorization function to confirm
   that they are the data that suitable user transmitted.

   The example of the user authorization function at the time of 
   Offramp gateway is shown below.

  1) Encipherment of user authorization and facsimile data is performed 
     by the existing SMTP, such as S/MIME, using the possible security
     technique. S/MIME is described in [8][9][10][11][12].

  2) The distribution demand from the user who permitted use of the 
     Internet Fax Gateway is received using the user authorization
     function and E-mail transmitting function of WWW. 

3.4 Return notice
   An offramp gateway MUST have the function which the offramp gateway
   send return notice to the source IFAX device, when a transmitting 
   error occurred then finished with the facsimile data not transmitted.

   When the offramp gateway fails in transmission of the return notice,
   The error information MAY be recorded to a log and processing MAY
   be ended, or the administrator of a gateway system MAY be notified
   of these errors information with a certain means (for example, SMTP).  
4. Onramp Gateway

4.1 Onramp Functions
   An onramp gateway MUST have the function that the onramp gateway  
   receive facsimile data from facsimile device over GSTN, then
   generated Internet fax is sent to appropriate IFAX devices or PC via 
   mail transfer agents by the onramp gateway. How to transmit data from
   an onramp gateway to IFAX devices MUST based on [3].

4.2 Address designation
   An onramp gateway SHOULD have the function that onramp gateway
   analyze destination address from address data sent by facsimile
   device over GSTN. If a GSTN number transmitted as part of the
   local-part of the email address, it SHOULD be in the global-phone 

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page4]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

   format. There are two kinds of the next of address data from FAX
   device over GSTN.

4.2.1 Immediate address designation
   Address data from facsimile device over GSTN specify destination
   number directly. It is used when destination is specified every time.

   Example

   (1) An onramp gateway receive destination telephone number
        "12223334444" from source facsimile by DTMF.

          12223334444

   (2) Destination number is used as "global-phone", "+" is added before
       it.

          +12223334444

   (3) "FAX=" is added at the head of "global-phone" to change
        "global-phone" into "fax-mbox".

           FAX=+12223334444

   (4) With this example "fax-mbox" is used as "fax-address".
       "Fax-email" is made by adding "@" and appropriate offramp domain
       "mta-I-fax" behind "fax-address".

          FAX=[email-masked]

       As for the way of choosing domain name of offramp gateway,
       it is defined in 4.3 Relay function.

   "global-phone" "fax-mbox" "fax-address" defined in section 2.of
   [6]. "mta-I-fax" defined in section 3.of [6]. "fax-email"
   defined in section 4. of [6]

4.2.2 Indirect address designation
   Indirect address number is extracted from the address data from
   facsimile device on GSTN, and destination address is looked up with 
   an onramp gateway by using the address change table and so on from
   the indirect address number. This function is used in the case of
   transmission to the mail terminal, transmission to an address to use 
   it well, the multicast transmission and so on.
    
   An onramp Gateway holds indirect address information by itself.
   Or, it is acquired from another server.
   Indirect address information contains following information.
   - Indirect address number
   - The list of the destination facsimile number and the E-mail address
     looked up from the indirect address number.

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page5]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

   Example

   (1) An onramp gateway receive Indirect address number "1234" from
       source facsimile by DTMF.

          1234

   (2) Destination address "addr-spec" is looked up by using the address 
       change table.

          address change table
          1234 : [email-masked]

   (3) Internet FAX is sent to an Internet FAX device 
       "[email-masked]" by an onramp gateway.

   "addr-spec" defined in section 6.1 of [13]

4.2.3 Support subaddress
   An onramp gateway SHOULD supports subaddress.In the case of immediate
   address designation, subaddress is analyzed by using T.33 [14]
   protocol. In the case of indirect address designation, T.33 protocol
   is not used. Subaddress is looked up by using the address change 
   table and so on from the indirect address number.

4.3 Relay function
   Onramp gateway SHOULD have the function which chooses destination
   offramp gateway by analyzing a specified destination facsimile
   number. Onramp gateway SHOULD hold relay information of offramp
   gateway to realize this function. Onramp gateway holds the following 
   Offramp gateway relay information. or, acquires from other server.

   - Area number (ex. +81:Japan +813:Tokyo etc)
   - Domain name of offramp gateway which copes with an area number

   Example of offramp gateway relay information
   +81 is sent to offramp gateway domain name is offjpn.domain.co.jp
   +1 is sent to offramp gateway domain name is offus.domain.com

4.4 File format conversion
   An onramp gateway MUST counvert file format from an facsimile over 
   GSTN to file format TIFF Profile-S for Internet Fax defined in 
   [15].

4.5 User authorization
   Onramp gateway MAY have a user authorization function to confirm
   that they are the data that suitable user transmitted.
   For example, User authorization is done by using user ID, password 
   extracted from DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency).

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page6]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

4.6 Return notice
   When an onramp gateway receives and analyzes return notice from
   destination, an onramp gateway MAY have the means that delivery
   status is sent to suitable facsimile device user on GSTN through the
   appropriate offramp gateway.

   When an onramp gateway fails in transmission of the return notice,
   The error information MAY be recorded to a log and processing MAY
   be ended, or the administrator of a gateway system MAY be notified
   of these errors information with a certain means (for example, SMTP).

5. Security Considerations

   Refer to sention 3.3 User authorization  for the authentication about
   an offramp gateway. Refer to sention 4.5 User authorization for the
   authentication about an onramp gateway.

   The Security Considerations sections of [3] applies to this 
   document.

6. References 

6.1 Informative groups

   [1] L. Masinter, "Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax",
             RFC 2542, March 1999.

6.2 Normative groups
   [2]  "Procedures for real-time Group 3 facsimile communication
          over IP networks", ITU-T Recommendation T.38,  June, 1998.

   [3] Toyoda, K., Ohno, H., Murai, J. and  D. Wing, "A Simple
             Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail", RFC 2305,
             March 1998.

   [4] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
             Requirement Levels", RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [5] "Procedures for document facsimile transmission in the general
          switched telephone network", ITU-T Recommendation T.30,
          April 1999.

   [6] C. Allocchio.,"Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail"
             , RFC 2304, March 1998.

   [7] C. Allocchio "GSTN Address Element Extensions in E-mail
             Services",RFC 2846, June 2000.

   [8] R.Housley, "Cryptographic Message Syntax", RFC2630, June 1999

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page7]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

   [9] E.Rescorla, "Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method", RFC2631
       June 1999

   [10] B.Ramsdell,"S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling", RFC2632,
       June 1999

   [11] B.Ramsdell, "S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification", RFC2633,
       June 1999

   [12] P.Hoffman, "Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME", RFC2634,
        June 1999

   [13] Crocker, D., " Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text 
            messages", STD 11, RFC 822, August 1982.

   [14] "Facsimile routing utilizing the subaddress"
          ITU recommendation T.33, July, 1996.

   [15] L. McIntyre, S. Zilles, R. Buckley, D. Venable, G. Parsons,
             J. Rafferty, "File Format for Internet Fax",RFC2301, 
             March 1998

7. Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page8]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

8. Contact
   
   Katsuhiko Mimura
   TOYO Communication Equipment CO., LTD.
   2-1-1 Koyato, Samukawa-machi, Koza-gun
   Kanagawa-pref., Japan
   Fax: +81 467 74 5743
   Email: [email-masked]

   Keiichi Yokoyama
   TOYO Communication Equipment CO., LTD.
   2-1-1 Koyato, Samukawa-machi, Koza-gun
   Kanagawa-pref., Japan
   Fax: +81 467 74 5743
   Email: [email-masked]

   Takahisa Satoh
   TOYO Communication Equipment CO., LTD.
   2-1-1 Koyato, Samukawa-machi, Koza-gun
   Kanagawa-pref., Japan
   Fax: +81 467 74 5743
   Email: [email-masked]

   Chie Kanaide
   TOYO Communication Equipment CO., LTD.
   2-1-1 Koyato, Samukawa-machi, Koza-gun
   Kanagawa-pref., Japan
   Fax: +81 467 74 5743
   Email: [email-masked]

Revision history

  [[[RFC editor: Please remove this section on publication]]]

  00a  10-Jul-2000  Initial draft.
  01a  16-Aug-2000  Remove next section.
                       Authentication
                       Authentication toward Offramp gateway
                       Option function
                       Multicasts transmit request
                    Rename next section
                       to Relay function from Choice of Offramp gateway
                       to User authorization from User authentication
                       to Immediate address designation from Direct
                       address designation

                    Section Drop the duplicate mail was moved to a part
                    of the section Offramp functions.
                    Corrections and clarifications.

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002               [Page9]

Internet Draft       Internet FAX Gateway Functions           March 2002

02a  30-Oct-2000  Title is changed from Internet FAX Gateway Protodol
                  to Internet FAX Gateway Functions
                  Remove next definition.
                       Drop duplications for Broadcast
                       When send return notice
                       Automatic re-transmission
                       keep log for offramp gateway
                       Example of User authorization 
                       keep log for onramp gateway
                    Rebuild next definition
                       3.2 Addressing
                       3.2.1 example of local dialing rules
                       4.2.1 Immediate address designation
                       4.2.2 Indirect address designation
                       4.4 File format conversion

03a  21-Feb-2001 Rebuild next definition
                       1.  1)
                       3.4 Return notice
                       4.6 Return notice
                 Add next definition
                       3.3 User authorization
04a  22-May-2001 Rebuild next definition
                       3.4 Return notice
                       4.6 Return notice
                       5. Security Considerations
05a 28-June-2001 Rebuild next definition
                       Abstract   
                       1. Introduction
                       4.2 Address designation
                 Add to References
                       [2]      
06a 19-Septembert-2001 Rebuild next definition
                       5. Security Considerations
6a  20-March-2002 Corrections and clarifications.
                   Moved Intellectual Property and keywords 
                   after section 1.
                   Fixed Security considerations.
07  25-March-2002 Seaprate 6.References into 6.1 Normative groups
                  and 6.2 Informative groups.
08 28-March-2002 Changed sentences in 3.3 user authorization,
                  4.1 OnrampFunctions,
                  4.2 Address designation
                  and 5 Security Considerations
                  Rebuild 6. References

Mimura,                     Expires September 2002              [Page10]