Subject: Re: Requirements Document - Capabilities Model

From: Olivier Marce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:09:36 +0200

Hi Joel

"Joel M. Halpern" wrote:

> The DiffServ conceptual model (and MIB / PIB) which have been mentioned as
> starting points for the capabilities model are actually state models, not
> capabilities models.  There is no way to tell from these models how many
> filters a device can handle, or whether it is capable of
> metering.  However, you can tell at any given time exactly what filters it
> has, how they connect to markers, meters, queues, etc.  When you want to
> configure additional processing elements into the processing path, you
> reference the elements of this model.
>

What's about the section 1.2 of RFC3084 ?
"   When a device boots, it opens a COPS connection to its Primary
   PDP.  When the connection is established, the PEP sends information
   about itself to the PDP in the form of a configuration request.
   This information includes client specific information (e.g.,
   hardware type, software release, configuration information)."

Ins't it an sufficient capabilities description step ?

--
Olivier Marce (ARX Project/Active Network WP)
Alcatel R&I Dept                        Tel: +33 (0) 1 69 63 41 67
Route de Nozay                          Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 63 13 59
F-91461 Marcoussis Cedex (France)

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:05:00 -0400

When I last reviewed the COPS PIBs, there was some, but only a little,
capability information in the various PIBs.  In conversation with some of
the COPS folks I have been told that more recently both the framework PIB
and the DiffServ PIB have had significant capabilities information added to
them.  I expect to find time before the IETF meeting to review these two
documents.  If there is a good start on the capabilities model in the PIBs,
then we will definitely use that.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

PS: For historical context, at one time the DiffServ PIB was closely
aligned to the DiffServ MIB, and the MIB definitely did not have much
useful capabilities information.  Things change.  Note that the information
described in the section you quote is pretty minimal when one things about
capabilities information.  But more has been added in other documents.