Subject: ietf-yang-forces-model-01.txt

From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:31:02 -0800

Hi, all

Here is an individual contribution on ForCES model v01 that we submitted
today.
The basic concepts remain the same as in v00, including FE block, stage,
directed graph, FE block library, etc.
But we did rewrite a lot of the texts and hopefully it results in improved
clarity. We also added new contents.

A summary of changes:
-- Section 3 "capability versus state model": substantial rewrite to clarify
the concepts
-- Section 4 "FE model" also went thru major rewrite.
        -- 4.1 "FE block" -- define FE block as the base class and what
attributes it contain.
        -- 4.2 "FE block libraray" -- we added new subsection 4.2.1-8 to
discuss the 8 categories of FE functions that are mandated by the
requirement draft. Each sub-section either provides some survy into the
exisiting work (like DiffServ model and QDDIM model for QoS) or initial
definition effort (like Forwarding). These sub-sections are not complete yet
but can be used as starting point for discussion.
        -- 4.3 "FE stage and directed graph" combines the 4.3&4.4 in v00. It
is broken down into 4.3.1 "basic concepts" with more clear definition of
each node; 4.3.2 "topological versus encoded state" discusses two different
appraoches in describing the graph topology. This is new content. 4.3.3
"cascading FE blocks" is old content from v00.

-- Section 5 "Data modeling" largely the same. It still mainly just provides
a candidate list of 5 entries (instead of 6 in v01 -- we took out SMIng
since it is still early in the development phase, probably won't be ready
when we need it).

It is still a relatively short and easy to read draft --19 pages. So please
check it out and provide feedback!!!

Thanks,

Lily

 <<ietf-yang-forces-model-01.txt>>