Subject: Re: Requirements

From: "Deleganes, Ellen M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:39:17 -0700

I agree with those who have stated the architecture requirement in
section 5, #10 (shown below) puts an unnecessary burden on the FEs and
is not required in order to perform topology discovery. I also agree
that other solutions are available that do not require this
functionality of the FE (e.g. the CE could perform the discovery, it
might be entered manually, some other manager could do the discovery).

10) In a ForCES NE, the FEs MUST be able to provide their topology

    information (topology by which the FEs in the NE are connected) to

    the CE(s).

I suspect based on a protocol requirement #10 (shown below) that the
intent was that some mechanism to report topology information from the
FE to the CE must exist. However, nowhere in the document does it state
that that FE functionality is optional. I believe that clarification
should be added. 

10)Topology Exchange 

   The ForCES protocol MUST allow the FEs to provide their topology 

   information (topology by which the FEs in the NE are connected) to 

   the CE(s). (refer to section 5, requirement# 10)

One suggestion is to rewrite requirement #10 in section 5 to be similar
to item 10) Topology Exchange and perhaps add the qualifier that the FEs
are NOT REQUIRED to be able to provide topology information to the CEs.

Regards,

Ellen Deleganes