Subject: Planned list configuration change

From: "Putzolu, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:18:02 -0800

All,

Based on feedback received, incidences of misdirected email,
and on observation of other mailing lists, Patrick & I are 
considering changing the mailing list configuration.  

Currently the mailing list is configured to automatically replace
any Reply-To fields by posters with its own address, generating
a reply-to pointing to the list if the poster did not include one.

The proposed new configuration is to preserve the Reply-To field
set by posters, generating a reply-to pointing to the poster if
poster did not include one.

In simpler terms, previously when someone hit reply the mail client
would address the reply to the list no matter what, and one had
to manually address it to individuals.  Now, when someone hits
reply the mail client will address the reply to the author of the
original email, and one will have to manually address it to the list.

If you have input or alternative proposals please let us know
before Monday, 12/15/2003.

Cheers,
David

P.S. For those of you who are listserv experts and are curious,
the list is currently set for Reply-To= List,ignore. We are
planning on changing it to Reply-To=Sender,Respect.

P.P.S. The reply-to field is handled differently by different
MTAs and clients, so YMMV.