Subject: Event Target Identificiation

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:22:29 -0400

In the declaration of events, the XML has to include identification of what 
field is being tested for the event, and what information is to be 
reported.  There are a number of minor issues.

1) We are not currently allowing for "and" conditions (report this event 
when the link has more than 3 errors per second and the usage is more than 
1 megabit per second.)

2) The current proposal for naming the target and reporting fields is that 
each one will be a test string of the form 
fieldname1.fieldname2.fieldname3... where each fieldname is a valid field 
name in the containing context (initially, the LFB), and where if the 
containing context is an array then the fieldname is either a number (rare) 
or $digit to indicate that the event applies to all array elements.  The 
$digit can then be used in similar strings in the reporting 
information.  This will result in:
    <target> element,arrayfield.$1.structelement </target>
    (we could use local-name instead of $1, since the context implies a 
subscript.)
We could instead get much more verbose, using more XML elements:
    <target>
       <field> element </field>
       <field> arrayfield </field>
       <subscript> local-name </subscript>
       <field> structelement </structelement>
    </target>
and similar constructs for each report component.

The later is more correct XML.  I had originally proposed the former.

Someone express a preference.
Please.

Joel