Subject: [issue54] correlator in the PL message header

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:01:14 +0000

New submission from Robert Haas <[email-masked]>:

Adding a correlator seems useful: response messages can be matched to the 
request messages even if pipelining and reordering occurs.
It seems that some are currently using the sequence number as a correlator: 
this can be dangerous, and not suitable for event notifications messages 
(nothing to correlate with).
But this introduces the risk of flooding an FE with too many commands as there 
is no windowing mechanism in place (yet).

----------
category: Technical
draft: draft-ietf-forces-protocol
messages: 129
nosy: rha
priority: Should fix
status: No discussion
title: correlator in the PL message header

___________________________________________________
Forces issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/forces/issue54>
___________________________________________________

---

From: "Wang,Weiming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:11:54 +0800

Robert,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Haas" <[email-masked]>

Adding a correlator seems useful: response messages can be matched to the
request messages even if pipelining and reordering occurs.
It seems that some are currently using the sequence number as a correlator:
this can be dangerous, and not suitable for event notifications messages
(nothing to correlate with).
[Weiming] I'm not sure if you mean to use the SN as a correlator is to let the
response have the same SN as the sender.  If so, I cannot follow well why it is
dangerous and not suit for event notifications.  Could you clarify this more?

Thanks.
Weiming

----------
category: Technical