Subject: Multicast IDs

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:46:54 -0400

>From section 5.1.  Common Header

--
           g.  It is desirable to address multicast and/or broadcast
               messages to some LFB instances of a given class.  For
               instance, assume FEs FEa and FEb:

               -   FEa has LFBs LFBaX1 and LFBaX2 of class X

               -   similarly, FEb has two LFBs LFBbX1 and LFBbX2 of
                   class X.

               A broadcast message should be addressable to only LFBs
               LFBaX1 and LFBbX1 (this can be the case for instance if
               these two LFBs belong to the same VPN). To achieve this,
               a VPN ID (3 octets OUI and 4 octets VPN Index) as defined
               in RFC 2685 should be used within the ForCES message
               body as a TLV.

               As an alternative, a particular multicast ID MAY be
               associated to a given VPN ID through some configuration
               means.  Messages delivered to such a multicast ID MUST
               only be applied to LFBs belonging to that VPN ID.
-----

Robert, I think this text came from you.
If we are going to allow the first scheme - then for interop we need to
have more definition. The second scheme would work fine without explicit
detailing.

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:07:18 +0200

Jamal,

>>From section 5.1.  Common Header
If I recall well, we are not going to use a VPN ID TLV.
So I suggest to drop the paragraph and only keep the alternative (below).
Regards,
-Robert

-- 
Dr. Robert R. Haas
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory
Säumerstrasse 4
CH-8803 Rüschlikon/Switzerland
phone +41-44-724-8698  fax +41-44-724-8578  http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~rha

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:11:33 -0400

Robert,

> So I suggest to drop the paragraph and only keep the alternative (below).

Sounds reasonable.
Can i also change the term VPN to be group?

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:16:00 +0200

>Can i also change the term VPN to be group?
sure.

Regards,
-Robert