Subject: Re: updated section 3

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:33:11 -0700

Jamal,

This sounds reasonable to me. Lets discuss tomorrow on the concall and
if there are no issues, we can close this. You will need to update the
Header section (5.1) accordingly with the new flags. I agree we don't
need the batch flags any more, we have all the functionality needed with
the new flags below.

Thanks
Hormuzd 

-----Original Message-----
From: Forwarding and Control Element Separation
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jamal Hadi Salim
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [FORCES] updated section 3

Attached an updated section 3. Ive added a sentence that was used by
Robert in the concal to reason for 2pc. Ive changed the names of the
flags to be reflective. I have also added a reference to the origins of
2pc. Additionaly there is now a sentence or two to suggest how to use
correlators to keep track of transactions.
If you can please read the whole thing and critique and lets come to
closure in tommorow's concal.

With that said, in relation to the current header flags as promised on
the concal:

- I don't see the need for the two BATCH bits we have anymore, but
require 4 bits instead for the following flags involved:

AT == Atomic Transaction flag to signal an atomic all-or-none
transaction (1 bit).
This already exists today and is called the atomicity flag in the draft.
We need another bit to signal the 2 other modes:
{execute-until-failure, continue-execute-on-failure}. Unfortunately we
have 3 modes and 2 bits - we may have to say 00 is none of the above.

SOT == Start of Transaction - to signal the first configuration message
in a transaction

EOT == End of Transaction - to signal the end of transaction ala commit

ABT = Abort Transaction - to signal to the FE to abort a specific
transaction.

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:22:44 +0200

Hi,

And I will need to update the IANA section with any new flags we add.

a.