Subject: [issue60] FE Object LFB Topology

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:38:43 +0000

New submission from Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>:

There are two ways a LFB can be modeled and as a result be controlled and
process packets.
a) Some LFBs may be modelled such that topology based packet multiplexing is
used. In such a case all instances of the LFB could be uniquely identified with an
LFB selector when configuring. 
b) Others may use metadatum instead for packet multiplexing. Such is the case in
LFBs which are modeled to have a single LFB instance that holds  multiple
functional processing instances in a table. In such a case the LFB selector will
identify the single LFB instance. To configure the functional packet processing
one would need to further specify a path.

The consequences of this are that FEO LFB Topology while showing the 
full functional processing if all LFBs are modelled as #a above, it will not 
fully show those details when any LFB uses the #b model.
It is practical convinience to use #b sometimes - so we are not enforcing model
#a be used.

----------
category: Editorial
draft: draft-ietf-forces-model
messages: 341
nosy: jamal
priority: Must fix
status: Need clarifying text
title: FE Object LFB Topology

___________________________________________________
Forces issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/forces/issue60>
___________________________________________________