Subject: updated section 3

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:13 -0400

Attached an updated section 3. Ive added a sentence that was used by
Robert in the concal to reason for 2pc. Ive changed the names of the
flags to be reflective. I have also added a reference to the origins of
2pc. Additionaly there is now a sentence or two to suggest how to use
correlators to keep track of transactions.
If you can please read the whole thing and critique and lets come to
closure in tommorow's concal.

With that said, in relation to the current header flags as promised on
the concal:

- I don't see the need for the two BATCH bits we have anymore, but
require 4 bits instead for the following flags involved:

AT == Atomic Transaction flag to signal an atomic all-or-none
transaction (1 bit).
This already exists today and is called the atomicity flag in the draft.
We need another bit to signal the 2 other modes:
{execute-until-failure, continue-execute-on-failure}. Unfortunately we
have 3 modes and 2 bits - we may have to say 00 is none of the above.

SOT == Start of Transaction - to signal the first configuration message
in a transaction

EOT == End of Transaction - to signal the end of transaction ala commit

ABT = Abort Transaction - to signal to the FE to abort a specific
transaction.

cheers,
jamal