Subject: Re: [Partial] Implementation of ForCES protocol for MSc dissertation

From: "Crouch, Alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:36:56 -0800

>I have finally decided to take up the ForCES protocol for my MSc
dissertation. I have discussed the idea with my supervisor and have a
formal approval for it. In this regard, I need your help >and
suggestions.

Good luck with the project. 

>I would be implementing ForCES protocol and not the FE model, at the
moment, due to limitation of time. But, in order to have a ForCES
protcol in working, I believe I need to have a 

>working program simulating the CE model and another program simulating
the FE model (at least that portion of the FE model, which interfaces
and interacts with the CE [the Fp interface]). 

>What do you suggest I should do?

You might want to take a look at other infrastructure you can work with,
as you implement ForCES protocol.  For example, could you implement
ForCES protocol in the XORP environment?  See http://www.xorp.org/ -
maybe there is an opportunity to contribute or collaborate?     Others
on the ForCES list may have additional suggestions.   

>Further, there are two aspects to the communication between the FE and
CE: 1) Control and 2) Data. In the pre-association phase the FE and CE
will exchange their information. In the post-

>association phase FE and CE exchange their information, with respect to
their operational and functional roles (and characteristics). Now, if I
work on the implementation of the ForCES 

>protocol, it implies that CE would be involved in the exchange of both
types of information, and amid the two phases. For the FE to
participate, it needs to have data, to share with the CE. 

Yes

>How do I make FE behave as an active component in this interaction with
the CE? Do I need to have a full fledge implementation of the FE as
well, along with CE's implementation? 

>How can the data within the FE simulated (or emulated) in the absence
of a real-time NE comprising of CE and FE? I mean, if FE has to share
data/information with CE, then how can that >data be made meaningful?

>These queries might seem to you like a bit incoherent. Actually at the
moment they represent few open ends in my mind, but once i have some
information about them, they will be crucial for >me to further decide
for my thesis.

Ideally, you'll have enough of an FE and CE in your implementation to
show that your implementation of ForCES protocol is fully functional,
and encompasses all aspects of the protocol draft.   Having working
implementations of the protocol would be great, as I'm sure many on the
list will agree.    Let's see if others have suggestions on how you can
make this happen.

Alan

________________________________

From: Forwarding and Control Element Separation
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Abid Ghufran
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 12:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [FORCES] [Partial] Implementation of ForCES protocol for MSc
dissertation

Dear All,

I am grateful to all of you for your help and guidance.

I have finally decided to take up the ForCES protocol for my MSc
dissertation. I have discussed the idea with my supervisor and have a
formal approval for it. In this regard, I need your help and
suggestions.

I would be implementing ForCES protocol and not the FE model, at the
moment, due to limitation of time. But, in order to have a ForCES
protcol in working, I believe I need to have a working program
simulating the CE model and another program simulating the FE model
(atleast that portion of the FE model, which interfaces and interacts
with the CE [the Fp interface]). What do you suggest I should do?

Further, there are two apects to the communication between the FE and
CE: 1) Control and 2) Data. In the pre-associatiion phase the FE and CE
will exchange their information. In the post-association phase FE and CE
exchange their information, with respect to their operational and
functional roles (and characteristics). Now, if I work on the
implementation of the ForCES protocol, it implies that CE would be
involved in the exchange of both types of information, and amid the two
phases. For the FE to participate, it needs to have data, to share with
the CE. How do I make FE behave as an active component in this
interaction with the CE? Do I need to have a full fledge implementation
of the FE as well, alongwith CE's implementation? 

How can the data within the FE simulated (or emulated) in the absence of
a real-time NE comprising of CE and FE? I mean, if FE has to share
data/information with CE, then how can that data be made meaaningful?

These queries might seem to you like a bit incoherent. Actually at the
moment they represent few open ends in my mind, but once i have some
information about them, they will be crucial for me to further decide
for my thesis.

Thank you very much,

Abid Ghufran.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
-- Bishop W.C. Magee (1821-1891)

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
-- Henry Ford (1863-1947) American Industrialist

---

From: Ashish Kapoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:08:04 -0800

Hi Abid,
  I'm basing my thesis on the ForCES protocol also. I just got back
  after discussing this with my advisor and he suggested that I focus
  on a small aspect of the ForCES protocol. My thesis does not require
  me to have any programming so I can get away with an algorithmic
  analysis of whatever I choose to focus on.

  From what I understand of the task and time line you are facing, it
  may be of help if you tightened your scope of study to a more
  manageable proportion. You could pick a small(er) aspect of the
  FE-CE communication protocol and model that exclusively. You should
  consult the requirements and pick a few (2-3) which deal with FE-CE
  communications and program those.

  If you are interested, my field of study is the CE-CE communications
  with a focus on maintaining a redundant system in case one CE fails.
  I plan to look into the various types of communications between CEs
  see if I can come up with some unique algorithms/modifications. I'm
  also just starting out at this this point.
Best regards,
 Ashish

-----

Thursday, February 9, 2006, 7:36:56 PM, you wrote:
>     
>   
>   
>  
>   
>>I have finally decided to take up the ForCES protocol for my MSc dissertation. I have discussed the idea with my supervisor and have a formal approval for it. In this regard, I need your help >and suggestions.
>   
>>I would be implementing ForCES protocol and not the FE model, at the moment, due to limitation of time. But, in order to have a ForCES protcol in working, I believe I need to have a 
>   
>>working program simulating the CE model and another program simulating the FE model (at least that portion of the FE model, which interfaces and interacts with the CE [the Fp interface]). 
>   
> You might want to take a look at other infrastructure you can work
> with, as you implement ForCES protocol.  For example, could you
> implement ForCES protocol in the XORP environment?  See
> http://www.xorp.org/ - maybe there is an opportunity to contribute
> or collaborate?     Others on the ForCES list may have additional suggestions.  
>   
>  
>   
>>Further, there are two aspects to the communication between the FE and CE: 1) Control and 2) Data. In the pre-association phase the FE and CE will exchange their information. In the post-
>   
>>association phase FE and CE exchange their information, with respect to their operational and functional roles (and characteristics). Now, if I work on the implementation of the ForCES 
>   
>>protocol, it implies that CE would be involved in the exchange of both types of information, and amid the two phases. For the FE to participate, it needs to have data, to share with the CE. 
>   
> Yes
>   
>  
>   
>>How do I make FE behave as an active component in this interaction with the CE? Do I need to have a full fledge implementation of the FE as well, along with CE's implementation? 
>   
>>How can the data within the FE simulated (or emulated) in the absence of a real-time NE comprising of CE and FE? I mean, if FE has to share data/information with CE, then how can that >data be made meaningful?
>   
>>These queries might seem to you like a bit incoherent. Actually at the moment they represent few open ends in my mind, but once i have some information about them, they will be crucial for >me to further decide for my thesis.
>   
> Ideally, youll have enough of an FE and CE in your implementation
> to show that your implementation of ForCES protocol is fully
> functional, and encompasses all aspects of the protocol draft. 
>  Having working implementations of the protocol would be great, as
> Im sure many on the list will agree.    Lets see if others have
> suggestions on how you can make this happen.
>   
>  
>   
> Alan
>   
>  
>   
>   
>   

>  Subject: [FORCES] [Partial] Implementation of ForCES protocol for MSc dissertation
>   
>   
>  
>   
>   
> Dear All,
>   
> dissertation. I have discussed the idea with my supervisor and have
> a formal approval for it. In this regard, I need your help and suggestions.
>   
> I would be implementing ForCES protocol and not the FE model, at
> the moment, due to limitation of time. But, in order to have a
> ForCES protcol in working, I believe I need to have a working
> program simulating the CE model and another program simulating the
> FE model (atleast that portion of the FE model, which interfaces and
> interacts with the CE [the Fp interface]). What do you suggest I should do?
>   
> Further, there are two apects to the communication between the FE
> and CE: 1) Control and 2) Data. In the pre-associatiion phase the FE
> and CE will exchange their information. In the post-association
> phase FE and CE exchange their information, with respect to their
> operational and functional roles (and characteristics). Now, if I
> work on the implementation of the ForCES protocol, it implies that
> CE would be involved in the exchange of both types of information,
> and amid the two phases. For the FE to participate, it needs to have
> data, to share with the CE. How do I make FE behave as an active
> component in this interaction with the CE? Do I need to have a full
> fledge implementation of the FE as well, alongwith CE's implementation?
>   
> How can the data within the FE simulated (or emulated) in the
> absence of a real-time NE comprising of CE and FE? I mean, if FE has
> to share data/information with CE, then how can that data be made meaaningful?
>   
> These queries might seem to you like a bit incoherent. Actually at
> the moment they represent few open ends in my mind, but once i have
> some information about them, they will be crucial for me to further decide for my thesis.
>   
> Thank you very much,
>   
> Abid Ghufran.
>   
>  
>   
>     
>   
>  
>   
>   
>