Subject: Re: [forces] [Xorp-hackers] Fwd: [Xorp-users] how FEA interacts with underlying forwarding plane?

From: sharda saiwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 03:21:03 -0500

Dear Hubery,

I found your mails about the separation of control plane and data plane from
> the mailing list which was written on the Apr of last year. In fact I am
> doing the similar work now as you did last year.
>
Its good to see you working on the similar work.

> While trying to solve the separation by transporting the routing table from
> the control plane(the PC where the Xorp is running on) to the forwarding
> plane(the PCs where the Click is running on), I met a problem in finding out
> the routing table created by Xorp. The result is that Google brings me to
> you:)
>
To change the system's routing table XORP+Click has to be run on kernel
mode. Please check your configuration files. If still not resolved, feel
free to ask again.

> I am quit curious about your work last year. What about it now? Have you
> achieved your purpose?
>
That activity is temporarily suspended. I hope to start it again.[?]

>  In my opinion, FEA of the Xorp should be replaced by our own process on
> the passing of the routing tables between different planes and the updating
> of the routing tables of clicks on the forwarding table.
>
As per my understanding, FEA is the image of the routing entries and
forwarding engine's configuration on the control plane, which the control
plane needs in order to control the forwarding plane. So the separation
should be between FEA and the forwarding plane interface( Click Router, in
this case).

> Is there some problems with my solution? What's your opinion on it?
>
This is just my opinion. It doesn't mean that you are doing wrong. Keep on
working and let me know the further work.

Sharda Saiwan