Subject: [forces] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5812 (5363)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC5812, "Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) Forwarding Element Model". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5363

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2018-05-18
Held by: Alvaro Retana (IESG)

Section: 3.2.8

Original Text
-------------
   An interesting issue related to class inheritance is backward
   compatibility between a descendant and an ancestor class.  Consider
   the following hypothetical scenario where a standardized LFB class
   "L1" exists.  Vendor A builds an FE that implements LFB "L1", and
   vendor B builds a CE that can recognize and operate on LFB "L1".
   Suppose that a new LFB class, "L2", is defined based on the existing
   "L1" class by extending its capabilities incrementally.  Let us
   examine the FE backward-compatibility issue by considering what would
   happen if vendor B upgrades its FE from "L1" to "L2" and vendor C's

Halpern & Hadi Salim         Standards Track                   [Page 29]

RFC 5812                     ForCES FE Model                  March 2010

   CE is not changed.  The old L1-based CE can interoperate with the new
   L2-based FE if the derived LFB class "L2" is indeed backward
   compatible with the base class "L1".

Corrected Text
--------------
   An interesting issue related to class inheritance is backward
   compatibility between a descendant and an ancestor class.  Consider
   the following hypothetical scenario where a standardized LFB class
   "L1" exists.  Vendor A builds an FE that implements LFB "L1", and
   vendor B builds a CE that can recognize and operate on LFB "L1".
   Suppose that a new LFB class, "L2", is defined based on the existing
   "L1" class by extending its capabilities incrementally.  Let us
   examine the FE backward-compatibility issue by considering what would
   happen if vendor A upgrades its FE from "L1" to "L2" and vendor B's

Halpern & Hadi Salim         Standards Track                   [Page 29]

RFC 5812                     ForCES FE Model                  March 2010

   CE is not changed.  The old L1-based CE can interoperate with the new
   L2-based FE if the derived LFB class "L2" is indeed backward
   compatible with the base class "L1".

Notes
-----
Confusion in the notation of vendors.

--------------------------------------
RFC5812 (draft-ietf-forces-model-16)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) Forwarding Element Model
Publication Date    : March 2010
Author(s)           : J. Halpern, J. Hadi Salim
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Forwarding and Control Element Separation
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG